The Hitchhiker

Driving down the road, late at night can do a lot to one person. Especially to a person who is taking their own Uber driver to their own destination. The hour was 9 PM, leaving only two hours until Christmas Eve. I doubt I will even make it in time. Possibly I could make it in the evening after the presents and breakfast. I could feel my baggy eyes sag lower to the car floor, making the drowsy feeling completely take over my body like a haunting possession that could kill me, which it could. Sooner or later.

I looked at Lawson, who, at the time, was having a minor hangover that let him sleep. I can't put my finger on it, but something tells me that he enjoys this more than any obstacle that was thrown in our way. When he slept, he had a genuine smile on his face that reminded me of a puppy... In a rough, chaotic sort of way. When I looked at him, I just shook my head and smiled. Sure, he may be a slob and could be a real pain to be with, but at least it's better than dealing with a negative person who spoke selfishly and couldn't care less if what the opposite person cared for. Someone who would much rather be at home than in this hectic situation... Like... Me. I haven't been the best person in the world but in my defense, no one is born perfect. Okay, I know I made it worse just by saying it in that way, but you know what I mean. Right? From now on, I will be doing the best things I could do, as long as it takes me home. So what I don't make it on Christmas day, as long as I get home. I don't care anymore.

I looked up and saw a middle-aged man standing in the road with his thumb up. I screeched the truck to a halt and rolled down my window. He walked to where I sat, with his thumb still up.

"What the heck, man!? I could have killed you!"

"Care to give a fella a ride?"

"Sure, " Lawson suddenly woke up. "We have enough room."

The hitchhiker hurried to the backseat and crawled inside. He buckled his seatbelt, not giving a care to my glaring eyes that were suddenly regretting everything I thought about Lawson. The man had an olive green flannel shirt and dirty brown pants that were being held with a large, buckled belt. His hair, long, gray, and straight with his beard short, and shaggy.

I continued down the road in an inraged silence.

"All you have to do is drive down for a couple miles, and drop me off at the cabin up ahead."

I nodded and changed courses.

"So, what are you two doing out here?" The hitchhiker asked.

"We are hurrying home before Christmas." I answered.

"That sounds nice. Hey, do you need a place to stay for the night? The cabin I own is on the property of an old motel that could house the two of you."

"I don't think we will have time." I answered.

"What he means to say, " Lawson patted my shoulder. "Is that we would love to stop and recharge our batteries."

"Great! I could get you a good deal on a room when we get there."

Lawson looked at me and smiled.

I swear, If our unwanted guest wasn't in the car, the only time you would see Lawson would be on the side of the road, half-eaten by ants. But remember, that's only if the hitchhiker was out of the car.