chapter 28

"We're back," Diake said out as soon as they were at the hub, with Himeko hugging his arm, despite the fact that she was taller than him.

"I see you two are getting along very well now," the captain told the two with a teasing smile, causing Himeko to blush.

"So, are you familiar with the city now, Diake?" The captain asked as he sat down to his seat.

"If showing around the potential dating spots counts as familiarizing the city, then yes. Yes I did," Diake replied, giving an emotionless stare at the blushing Himeko while the captain shook his head, but still had the teasing smile.

"Well, at least you two aren't on a mission. That's all that matters. However, I do want to have a talk with you, Diake. Alone. And then with you later on Himeko," the captain told the two, suddenly turning stern. Nodding, Himeko let go of his arm and looked at Diake with worry.

"Don't worry so much, Himeko. You'll be fine without me for a while now, can you?" Diake said with a smile.

"Right. Alright, I'll wait then."

Himeko left the hub after kissing Diake on the cheek. Soon after this, the captain gestured his hand, and the crew that were previously in the hub as well had left, leaving the captain and Diake all by themselves.

"So what is it you want to talk about?" Diake asked, a hand on his hip.

"It's about your immunity to the Honkai," he replied. Hearing this, the boy became both curious, yet fearful of what the words that the captain may say.

"Go. . . Go on then," Diake hesitantly replied.

"Are you sure? Are you ready to learn the hard truth?" The captain asked worriedly, and the boy knew, no matter how painful the truth may be, not knowing the truth hurts even more and will not give him the closure he needs.

"Yes. I am. Tell me."

His heart was beating quickly in anticipation of what he was about to say regarding his immunity.

And with that, the captain began his revelation.

"We found out how you are immune to the Honkai. It wasn't because of your genes. Your genes were abysmal against the Honkai," the captain revealed.

"A. . . Bysmal?" The boy asked, confused by the word.

"In other words. . . You should have turned into a zombie just like the others in Nagazora City," the captain replied. Diake's eyes widened in response.

"B-but how. . . How did I. . ."

"It seems rather impossible for you to not turn into a Honkai, but we have a possible explanation as to why."

". . . . Tell me."

With another deep sigh, the captain revealed more.

"Your heart has something in it. Something you never knew you had."

". . . ."

'Something. . . I never knew I had?' The boy thought, blinking mentally.

"Long story short. . . You have the Her--"

Himeko suddenly barged into the hub, surprising the two and releasing the tension in the air. She seemed both desperate and worried.

"Himeko? What's wrong?" The captain asked upon seeing the look on her face as he stood up.

"It looked like you saw the devil or something," Diake commented.

What came out of her mouth threw the two into panic.