𝔽𝕀𝕍𝔼

AALIYAH LOOKED AT us with raised eyebrows. "That's creepy."

Shawn brushed her off. "Nothing good ever happens here. We should go, babe."

"You know I'm not into that stuff," she scoffed.

Kellen examined the ticket. "We should all go, it looks like fun."

"Kellen gets it," Jake said approvingly. "Stop being a baby, Aaliyah, it'll be fun."

"The whole gang together on Halloween," Shawn added. "Just like old times."

She rolled her eyes. "I'll only go if Carter does."

"No freaking way," I refuted. I was already living in a nightmare, I didn't need to add a sketchy carnival to the list.

"Come on, Carter." Jake squeezed my knee under the table. "Please?"

I didn't know what came over me. It was either the fact that I was losing it or because Jake touching me had such an effect, but I stupidly agreed.

"It's gonna be a night to remember!" Shawn exclaimed.

"When can we buy our tickets?" Aaliyah asked.

"They should be selling them on the night of," Kellen said. "We'll all meet at the carnival at seven and go together."

"Sounds like a plan," Jake said with a grin.

~*~

I was exiting the bathroom and returning back to my chemistry class when I noticed a familiar figure ahead. Quickly, I turned and started walking in the other direction.

"Carter, wait!"

"Shit." I tried to subtly pick up my pace, but it was no use.

I cringed internally when he placed a hand on my shoulder. "Long time no talk."

"I have to get to class."

"I can't even get a hi?"

I sighed. "What do you want?"

He shoved his hands in his pockets. "I just wanted to see how you were doing. I heard about the...situation."

I ran my hand through my hair. "Look, we aren't together anymore and we aren't friends. So why don't you do us both a favour and leave me alone?"

"Why won't you talk to me anymore?"

It was taking all of my willpower to not punch him. "We're done. Whatever we had is over, so please stop talking to me."

"I'm not giving up on us," he stated firmly.

"Leave me alone." I walked away, unwilling to hear the rest of his bullshit.

"We'll get through this," he called out after me. "I love you, Carter."

~*~

"What's wrong with your face?" Shawn inquired as he threw a French fry at me.

I scowled at him in reply.

"Someone had a run-in with a certain Matt," Aaliyah said before taking a sip of her milkshake.

Immediately all three boys looked at me with wide eyes.

Shawn rolled up his sleeves. "Am I kicking some punk ass tonight?"

"What did he want?" Kellen demanded.

"He wants me back." I lost my appetite as the words came out of my mouth.

"Do you want him back?" Jake inquired.

I rolled my eyes. "Of course not!"

"He doesn't deserve you," Kellen said.

"Can we change the subject?" I pleaded.

Aaliyah abruptly stood up. "I have to go to the bathroom."

Shawn shrugged. "And you're telling us because...?"

She smacked the back of his head. "Carter, come with."

Begrudgingly, I got up and trudged after her. Once we stepped in the bathroom, she grabbed my hands and squealed.

"Did you see how defensive Jake got? He's totally into you!"

"No, he's not," I assured her.

"Don't play dumb, Carter. It's so obvious he likes you." She paused. "Do you have feelings for him?"

Me not answering Aaliyah's question was enough for her to put two and two together.

"Oh my God! We need to set you guys up! You would be so cute together!"

"You can't tell anyone. Promise me you won't."

She smirked at me. "If you don't confess your feelings by Halloween, then I tell him at midnight on November 1st."

"That's not funny."

"Then it's a good thing I'm not joking."