𝕊𝔼𝕍𝔼ℕ

I KNEW MY luck wouldn't last when I was greeted with another note in my locker. Heaving a sigh, I opened it up to read it.

Carter, my love,

Beauty and grace in everything you do,

My love is so deep, I would kill for you.

But would you die for me?

I guess we will find out and see.

I crumpled up the slip of paper and threw it in my locker. I had no care for anything this maniac had to say, though I couldn't stop my body from shaking. This person, whoever it was, was getting into my head. I peered over my shoulder, wondering if they were near, watching me. Suddenly feeling the dire need for company, I slammed my locker door shut and proceeded to walk to the library. My free period was usually pretty empty, but I knew the library always had people in it.

Just as I turned the corner I bumped into none other than Matt. "Please don't start this again."

"Hey, I didn't know you had a free period right now," he said.

"There are many things you don't know about me, Matt."

A weird look appeared on his face. "I miss hearing you say my name."

"Why can't you leave me alone?"

"Because I love you, Carter. I would do anything to have you back. Hell, I would kill for you."

"Just leave me..." My breath caught in my throat before I could finish. "What did you just say?"

He eyed me strangely. "What's wrong?"

"I would kill for you," I repeated. I took a step back, my heart banging against my chest. "Oh my God, it's you!"

"Carter, what the hell are you talking about?"

"Stay away from me!" I screamed.

A teacher from a nearby classroom opened the door to see what all the noise was, so I used this to my advantage and ran as far from Matt as I could.

~*~

"And you're sure it's him?" the cop from a few nights ago, Officer McNeil, asked.

I nodded profusely. "It has to be. The notes started around the time our relationship was fizzling out, and I guess he was mad about it and wanted revenge."

"Do you have the most recent note?"

I handed her the crumpled sheet of paper that I fished out of my locker.

"What the hell is going on?" Matt yelled as a cop led him outside.

"We're just taking you to the station to ask a couple questions," Officer McNeil explained.

"I want my lawyer!" he demanded.

"You can call your parents and lawyer once we get to the station." She turned to look at me. "You have my number. Keep me posted if you receive any more notes."

I nodded. "Thank you."

"Your parents should be here soon." Officer McNeil glanced at the office secretary. "Make sure she gets home safe."

"Will do, officer."

Officer McNeil gave me a wave before taking Matt to the backseat of her police cruiser.

"Carter!"

Aaliyah, Kellen, Shawn and Jake ran into the office, crowding the tiny waiting room.

"We heard what happened, are you okay?" Aaliyah asked worriedly.

"I'm just happy they got rid of that sick bastard," Shawn spat.

"How'd you know it was him?" Kellen questioned.

"It makes sense," Jake spoke up. "Carter was losing interest and jackass didn't like that she was leaving him."

"I'm just happy that it's over."

"So you're coming tonight, right?" Shawn confirmed.

I rubbed my arm. "I don't know..."

"If I have to watch these dumb asses play, then you do too," Kellen joked.

Jake smirked at me. "If we lose it's on you."

"Fine," I said exasperatedly. "Since we all know your team can't win from actual skill, I guess I'll come."

"Funny girl," Shawn scoffed.

"If we win, ice cream on you," Jake declared.

"But if you lose, which you will, then ice cream on you," I said.

He chuckled. "Maybe we should up the stakes."

Shawn faked a gag. "Keep it PG you guys."

I rolled my eyes. "You're an idiot." I tried to act nonchalant, but I was silently praying no one would call me out for my burning cheeks.