𝕋𝔼ℕ

"LAST STOP, EVERYBODY out." The car pulled to a halt on my driveway.

"Thanks for the ride."

"Thank Shawn, it's his gas I'm using up," he joked.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow," I said, unsure of a non-awkward way to say goodbye.

"I hope you do."

Unable to come up with a semi-decent response, I exited the car and walked up my front porch. Jake was waiting for me to get inside, which I couldn't have been more thankful for. With everything that happened today, I was on edge. While walking up the stairs, I noticed a gift box in front of the door. I knew it was against my better judgement to open it, but something came over me and I just had to know what was inside.

I knelt down in front of the box and unwrapped the bow. Nothing could have prepared me for what was inside. As soon as I lifted the lid, an earsplitting shriek erupted from my mouth.

~*~

"Why does this keep happening?" my dad demanded.

My mom was stroking my hair as I sobbed into her chest. "It's okay, baby," she cooed.

"We're going to get to the bottom of this," Officer McNeil promised.

"We got an update from the lab," one of the other cops said. "It was a pig's heart."

The image of that bloodied heart played in my mind like a broken record, and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't shake it out.

"We're really sorry you had to see that," Officer McNeil said to me.

"I thought you arrested the suspect. So why the hell is my daughter still being harassed?" my dad bellowed.

"We're trying to figure it out, sir," Officer McNeil said apologetically.

"That's not good enough! I want a cop stationed outside of my house every night until you catch this jackass."

"Sure," she said, unwilling to rile him up further. "We'll have someone keep watch on your house tonight."

My dad walked the officers out, leaving me with my mom. "Do you want to take the day off tomorrow?" she asked.

I shook my head. "I don't wanna be home alone."

"Your father or I can take work off too."

"We need the money. I don't want either of you to miss work because of me."

She kissed my head. "Everything will be fine."

~*~

"Don't talk about it," was the first thing I said to my friends the next morning.

Aaliyah wordlessly hugged me, and it took all of my willpower to not cry.

"We're coming over tonight," Shawn proposed. "You don't feel safe at home and we want to be there for you."

"We can watch horror movies," Kellen pitched. "Never mind," he quickly added when he saw the looks everyone gave him.

Jake placed his hand on my shoulder. "It'll be fun. Aaliyah, you pick the movie and I'll bring the food."

Shawn looked at us expectantly. "Will there be bee—"

"No," Aaliyah and I said simultaneously.

"Whatever, I'm more fun sober," he grumbled.

I threw my textbooks in my backpack and we walked to our classes. Despite me not sharing homeroom with any of them, all four of my friends walked me to class.

"You guys really don't have to do this."

"We're here for you," Kellen promised.

"What the hell's going on?" Shawn said all of a sudden, pointing up ahead.

Matt was back.

My lungs felt restricted and my heart fell to the pit of my stomach. How could they release him?

Aaliyah whipped out her phone and began typing away. "According to the local news the cops said there wasn't substantial evidence to arrest Matt."

"Bullshit," Jake scoffed.

"But there wasn't a note," I protested. "Whoever left that gift didn't leave a note. That means it could've been anyone!"

"Or it means the stalker is getting sloppy," Aaliyah suggested.

"Or they're changing up their tactic to psyche you out," Kellen added.

"How could they let him go so easily?" I wondered aloud.

"It's okay, we're here," Aaliyah promised.

"Hey," the voice belonging to none other than Matt called out. "Can we talk?"

Shawn and Jake stepped forward, blocking me from his view. "Like hell you will," Jake said.

"Don't talk to her again or we're gonna beat the shit out of you," Shawn warned.

"I need to talk to you, Carter," Matt pressed. "Let me talk to her. Please."

"Get out of here, man," Jake said. "And don't talk to her again. That's my last warning."