𝕋𝕎𝔼ℕ𝕋𝕐-𝕋𝕎𝕆

CARTER

I WAS RUNNING in circles. That had to be the only explanation. There was no way this funhouse was big enough for it to take more than ten minutes to explore the whole damn thing, yet here I was. I was certain I went through it all at least six or seven times, but I was still trapped. I saw a couple more people, but after my encounter with the last few, I made sure to avoid them. At this point, I didn't think there was any luck in me escaping.

"Five minutes," a distorted voice on the speaker in the funhouse said. "Five more minutes until you're mine."

I chomped on my lower lip to stop myself from crying. I had to focus on escaping. Part of me wanted to do a quick run through of the funhouse one last time, but the more rational part of me knew there was no point. This place was a labyrinth, and the chances of me escaping were slim.

I had to get out of here, I just didn't know how. The lights, which had previously turned on, had once again dimmed. The bad news was the funhouse looked scarier tenfold, but the good news was I was able to see the exit sign bright and clear. I ran in the direction of the sign, hoping and praying it wasn't a trick.

I looked away from the sign for a swift moment, but once I looked up again it was gone. "What the hell?"

I peered all around me but there wasn't a single sign in sight. Where did it go?

"Three minutes," the same distorted voice called out.

I continued in the same direction I was in before, only this time picking up my speed. I had to get out of here one way or another.

"Carter?" a voice shouted from the distance.

I couldn't be bothered with another trick so I continued running.

"Carter, are you there?"

It was a male's voice, and it sounded familiar. I couldn't put a finger on which of my friends it was, but I knew it was one of them. Then again, the stalker also knew my friends. What if it wasn't actually them and this was a trap?

I picked up my pace, trying to get as far away from that voice as possible. All I needed to focus on right now was getting out of here alive.

"Two minutes."

"Carter, answer if you're here."

Both voices spoke simultaneously, making me breathe a sigh of relief. That meant that the voice did belong to my friends.

"I'm here," I yelled. "Come, quick!"

"Keep talking, I can't find you," he responded.

"I'm right beside the giant clown mannequin," I continued. "There's a bunch of smoke, a prop broomstick, and..."

"One minute left."

"Hurry up," I begged.

"I think I'm almost there. Keep talking, Carter."

"There's a fake ghost a couple feet away that jumps out and says boo when you walk past it. There's green flickering lights, and..." My voice trailed off when I caught the glimpse of something moving out of the corner of my eye. I turned around and was able to make out a faint silhouette in the dim light. "A-are you here?"

"I'm right behind you."

I let out a bloodcurdling shriek, only to be met with a confused Kellen. "Oh my God!" I threw my arms around his neck, my body trembling. "I was so scared," I choked out.

He stroked my hair comfortingly. "It's okay, I'm here now."

"I think there's someone behind me," I whispered. "It might be the stalker."

"Time's up."

The lights in the funhouse all turned bright red and started flashing. Despite Kellen being here, I didn't feel any safer than I did before.

I looked at him worriedly. "What do we do?"

Kellen grabbed my hand. "I'm not gonna let anything happen to you." He looked ahead and then back at me. "I found a way out earlier. Follow me."

We started running, and I was silently praying we would get out before my stalker caught up to us. The last thing I'd want is for one of my friends to have to pay the price and suffer.