𝕋ℍ𝕀ℝ𝕋𝕐

THE BLOODY TRAIL abruptly ended in front of another trio of doors. I was beyond confused at the sight of these new doors. I didn't remember seeing them at all.

"Jake?" I whispered. "Are you here?"

A shrill ring suddenly pierced through the air, and I pressed my hands against my ears to tune it out.

"Welcome back," Kellen's voice boomed over the speaker.

"Where are you?" I tried to sound assertive, but my shaky voice betrayed me.

His boisterous laugh filled the funhouse. "I knew you'd come back for him." He paused. "I let you go, yet you still came back. I can't even feel pity for you, this is your own fault."

"Where's Jake?" I demanded, cutting to the chase. I wasn't going to stand any more of his messed up games.

"Why don't we play a little game?" he said. "I recite my letter to you, and using those clues, you find you lover."

That sounded simple enough.

"If you lose, I kill you both. But if you find him, I'll let you go unscathed."

I did not like the sound of that at all, but I had no choice. "Fine."

Kellen cleared his throat over the speaker as he began to recite his atrocious love letter. "Carter, my love."

It felt so unreal to personify these letters. All this time I thought it was a sick prank, but to now know that someone I considered my friend was the mastermind behind this made me feel like I could never trust anyone again.

"If you want him, then he is yours,

His body is behind one of these doors.

Pick the right one and you can be free,

If not, you are mine for eternity."

I observed the three doors in front of me. The last time I was in front of three doors, Jake was behind the leftmost one. What if Kellen remembered that and put him behind the rightmost door instead? Or what if Jake was in the middle room this time?

"Time is running out, Carter."

I was truly stumped. I didn't have the slightest clue as to which door Jake was behind. Clearly Kellen didn't do anything randomly and there was some significance behind his actions, but what was so special about these doors?

"The longer you take, the less his chances of survival."

That psychopath was right. I had to hurry up so I could save Jake. His injuries were pretty lethal, and who knew what else Kellen did to him? The more time I wasted, the more I was putting both of our lives in jeopardy.

Then it hit me.

"I know where he is."

"Which door is it?" I could hear the amusement in his voice.

It was a trick question. "None of them."

Kellen chuckled. "Are you sure?"

"He's locked in the wardrobe in the other room."

"Well done. I didn't think you'd get it right."

"You promised to let us go. Where is he?" I said firmly.

"I believe I said I'd only let you go unscathed. As for Jake, you're more than welcome to take his dead body."

He tricked me. Kellen never planned on letting Jake leave. He wanted to torment me in the worst way possible, and he knew hurting Jake would cause me more pain.

"I'm not leaving without him alive," I told him. I already abandoned Jake once, I couldn't do it again.

"Very well." The speaker turned off. "Just don't say I didn't warn you."

When I felt something blow on the back of my neck, I whipped my head around, only to be face to face with my stalker himself.

"You didn't think I'd actually let you get away, did you?" Before I could answer, Kellen swung his knife at me. I ducked just in time, the tip of the knife grazing the air right above my head.

I tried to run, but Kellen was too swift and grabbed me. He pinned me to the ground and climbed on top of me, his legs on either side of my hips. I gripped his wrists just as he was trying to stab me, in an attempt to hold him off. I wriggled my body, trying to pull my leg up so I could kick him. I tossed and turned as I avoided the blade, finally able to get my leg free. I kicked Kellen in the stomach, granting me a few seconds. I rolled over and got to my feet, but he was too fast.

I didn't make it too far when Kellen grabbed the back of my hair. I let out a pained cry, feeling him ripping the strands right out of my head. Kellen pulled me into a chokehold with one hand, the other angling the knife right in front of me.

"Any last words?" he spat out breathlessly.

I tried to free myself from his grasp, but there was no point. He was overpowering me and there was no way I could escape. Was this really the end? I couldn't save Jake or myself, and I ultimately let Kellen win.

I closed my eyes, bracing myself for the impact, but nothing happened. I opened my eyes, surprised to see there was no knife aimed at me.

Kellen's hold on me loosened, and he collapsed to the ground.