𝔽𝕀𝔽𝕋𝔼𝔼ℕ

"CAN I SEE your tickets please?" the person working behind the desk asked. We showed her our tickets and continued moving down the line.

"Welcome to the best part of tonight's carnival," the man standing in front of the entrance said. "The funhouse! We kindly ask that you put all electronics in the lockers on the lefthand side."

"You mean, like, our phones?" Shawn asked.

"Like, yes," the man answered bluntly. "The real beauty in the funhouse is exploring it without the use of any aids."

I took a step back. "I don't wanna go."

"I'm sure you can live without your phone for ten minutes," Kellen scoffed.

I just didn't feel safe being in that dark funhouse for who knew how long without any way of contacting help. For all I knew my stalker could've been the person behind me in the line.

Jake, who had been silent the entire time, finally spoke up. "I'm staying with you the entire time, remember?" He stuck out his hand for me to take. "I'll keep you safe. Promise."

I tentatively accepted his hand and put my cellphone in the locker just like everyone else.

"This is gonna be so much fun!" Aaliyah squealed.

Any remaining bit of light disappeared as we entered the funhouse. I felt myself inching closer to Jake, scared of getting lost.

"Can we stay together?" I called out to my friends.

"Of course," Aaliyah's voice responded in the darkness.

"Babe, check this out!" Shawn said.

"Wait up! I can't see you."

Just like that I heard their footsteps fade away. Idiots.

"Kellen? Are you there?"

No response.

"Guess it's just us," Jake said.

"Is it too late to turn back?"

His warm hand enveloped mine, taking me by surprise. "I'm here, Carter." He squeezed my hand reassuringly, making my legs feel like jelly.

Once my eyes adjusted to the darkness, the funhouse didn't seem all that bad. There were just cheesy decorations and robotic clown and vampire popups that appeared every once in a while. I really was scared for nothing.

"How terrifying is this?" Jake teased.

I playfully punched his arm. "Shut up."

Jake let out a chuckle and jokingly shoved me. I returned the favour and shoved him back, though I must've done it too hard because he stumbled. He reached out and grabbed onto my arm, but it was to no use because he fell to the ground, bringing me with him.

I let out a gasp as I landed right on top of Jake, both of us breathing heavily. We were surrounded by darkness but I could still see the faint twinkle in his eyes. Our noses brushed against each other's and my body froze, making me paralyzed on the spot. Jake's hand hovered beside my cheek as I felt him tuck my hair behind my ear, just like he had done a couple nights ago. I was holding my breath, awaiting his next move, hoping and praying he would do something.

Of course Jake ruined the moment by muttering, "I can't breathe."

I scrambled to my feet and helped him up. "Sorry about that."

"Don't be." He took my hand and we continued walking.

~*~

I was getting bored now. It felt like we had been in here forever even though the funhouse didn't look that big from the outside. Worst of all, Jake hadn't made a single move on me the entire time. I supposed it was a telltale sign that he just wasn't interested in me.

I was so lost in thought I didn't notice the giant clown popup appear in front of me. I let out a shriek and leapt back, my heart racing tenfold.

Jake burst into laughter at my startled reaction. "Are you okay?" he asked between fits of laughter.

"I'm fine," I grumbled as I continued walking.

"Why are you walking so fast? I can't keep up." He chuckled. "Don't be embarrassed."

My speed walk turned into a slow jog as I picked up my pace. Despite it being dark in here, I was scared Jake would see how red my cheeks had gotten. "Leave me alone."

He laughed again. "Carter, you can't outrun me." He paused. "I'll find you even if you go."

I froze in my tracks. "Wh-what did you just say?"

"Well maybe if you didn't go so far away you could've heard me."

I felt a trickle of sweat run down the side of my face. Jake directly quoted the note I just got, but I never showed it to him. What if...

I shook that thought out of my head. Maybe I was being paranoid. Or maybe he was...

All I knew was I had to get away from him.