Everything Is Sirius

I snorted at Tommy's most recent failure, the strawberry had gone flying over my head instead. "I think you missed my mouth by a large margin." I sarcastically mentioned. He started to aim another strawberry, trying to find the best angle for the next attempt. We were all together at breakfast, by now the food was gone and we were just waiting for Auntie Isa to arrive from her meeting in the Ministry. After we came back from America, Auntie decided that she wanted to be here, she told me it was because she wanted to support my brother and me; although I knew it had to do more with the fact that Sirius Black was on the streets.

I only hoped that she would stay here and support my mother rather than stress her out further since she was one of the few who still mentioned my mother's cousin. "How long does it take to attain a permit for her wand here?" Dad asked incredulously,  he was impatient since he had an Aurors meeting though he refused to answer my questions about it. Everything seemed to have to do with Sirus Black. 

"Honey you can go to the ministry, I don't want you to miss anything important." 

"Willa I want to be with you all," He rejected her suggestion without hesitation, Tommy and I shared a glance, as our eyes watched the silent conversation between them. My mother used to be an Auror as well although she was placed in clerical work more and more once she had married my dad, by the time she was pregnant they went into hiding during the war. 

Finally, after the silent tiff between them, my father seemed to relent with a sigh. He rubbed his hands against his face while my mother perked her head. Tommy and I shared another glance. Mom won. 

"Alright, but I'll only relent because I love you so," dad tried to cover his ego, but then Tommy came in the picture. "Or because you're too scared to sleep on the couch for the rest of the year if you cross mom." Mom and I laughed while Dad set a glare on Tommy.

"You mister speak a lot for an aspiring Quiditich star who can't aim a strawberry." It was Tommy's turn to pout by then. "That was low dad." 

"Aim a little lower and you might succeed." 
"Perfect motto for his goals in life." I joined in the fun. Dad passed by me, putting on his coat before pausing and high fiving me as he passed me. "Their conspiring against me mom," Tommy whined to our mother. 

Soon enough Dad came back with his wand, and suitcase, he kissed my mother, pecked my cheek and ruffled my hair. Before he could question my mother again she kicked him out of the house. "Don't worry Tom you can always become the big scary Auror!" I gasped at his play on my words.

"That man," Mom sighed as she watched him go, she sounded exasperated but her eyes stared at his figure adoringly through the window curtains. Tommy pretended to gag at the display. "Wait until you get a man Tommy, Or do you think Fred Weasley will finally notice you?" I teased him.

"Oy!" Tommy looked at me in horror, although his face was a scarlet hue that rivaled the strawberries, he looked as though he had difficulty breathing; his eyes glazed over at the thought of his long term crush on the Weasley boy. For a moment I was thankful that most of the puffs were more interested in bettering our quidditch team to win against Harry Potter than finding sweethearts. It certainly made life simpler than the dramatics of Gryffindors.

"Tommy can go get a boyfriend that is not several years older than him another day, come on you two might as well bring your luggage down." Mom interrupted us before I could tease further, I knew all about Tommy's crush; having spent time drilling Puffs and Gryffindors alike for information on him. Although annoyingly enough I still hadn't found out whether or not he liked both types or just one. Or maybe all? This year though that would change. I needed to find out for Tommy's sake and as a Prefect, I was given the perfect opportunity. 

Afterall the Weasley Twins, besides the Gryffindor trio were known to make the most trouble around the school, maybe I could drill the youngest Weasley's instead beforehand. Ginny Weasley was easy enough to approach, although Ronald Weasley was slightly more elusive, it might be easier to approach the Granger girl instead in the library. 

"Come on Tommy," I ruffled his hair, "We have new orders from the Queen of the house."

'You got that right," Mom replied as she used magic to clean the table and plates. She left, checking the wards around the house.

Tommy and I separated at the top of the stairs. I could see that the tips of his ears were red. Fred Weasley better not hurt my brother. I knew that to them Hufflepuffs could never be scary, but we were an ambiguous house, one that stuck together to do the right thing or defend the youngest of our litter. When struck we would attack, even in face of a stronger or larger opponent. I had friends but even larger connections. Although I solemnly used them because I preferred to scope out information myself. Enough of finding details about them from others. This time I'll make contact with direct affiliations. 

Thank Professor Sprout for the Prefect Badge. 

From the first floor, I could hear a sudden conversation between two women, Auntie Isa must have arrived! I grabbed my luggage and hauled it to the stairs, checking to make sure no one was in sight I pushed it so it slid down, I ran down the steps after it. The clash as it landed harshly on the ground floor of the house reverberated harshly, "Judith?" I could feel my mother's warning. "What was that?"
"I just landed a little harshly mom!" I lied through my teeth, "You know how much of a clutz I can be!" 

"A huge clutz," Auntie Isa said through her laughter behind me, oh bollocks, "I won't say a word." She winked at me; before she took a step back "Now give your second mother a hug!"

I laughed as I gave in to her demands for her complicit silence. Mother hated when Tommy and I both slide the luggage down the steps each year. She claims it ruins the wood on the stairs although Tommy and I never notice anything.

Mom came by the door; wearing her coat and Slytherin scarf. "Let's go, we don't want to be late, Judith," She commanded, "bring the luggage to the car." I followed her wishes, already having changed into a white dress, although I wore it with black leggings for my comfort. I don't have an internal furnace-like she does. Auntie Isa came out with me, helping me put the luggage in the back of her car, it was lent to her on behalf of the ministry apparently for her return to England as well as her heroic deeds in the Wizarding War that lead her to be well known. 

"So," Auntie Isa began, "How are you going to investigate Sirius Black?"

I frowned, the trunk closed in front of us. My eyes met her brown ones, "What do you mean?"
"I know you're curious, you've stopped asking questions for now but that won't stop you from doing so in the future," Auntie replied to my question. "Even if you tried to distract yourself with other missions."  I could hear Tommy and Mom closing the door and his luggage dragging against the gravel. I knew Auntie wouldn't tell anything to my mom and dad, even when I was younger she would always encourage my questions rather than stop them as they did. She was like an ally, a sister to me more than a mother.

"The usual means," I answered. "Can you help me?" Auntie smiled, "just don't go after him and I'll tell you whatever you want when I can."