Stalker

I did promise my mom and dad, but I think that they knew it was inevitable. My mother hugged me tightly as we went on the train. Tommy could barely breathe when she held him. Auntie had to pry our mother off of him and she shooed us away with a smile. 

Before I left, I looked back and could see the warning to be careful in her eyes. Auntie would always swear when I was younger that I'll have as many heart attacks that I give them when I have my kid; worse if he becomes as intrusive as I am. I remember I told her that Lily would be the same then. Which she told me that Lily was more controlled than I am. I thought about my favorite, and only, cousin in America, she was already staying with some friends in another state near Ilvermony when I came to visit, but she and I did send letters back and forth. She was excited to move out to England again once this year finished. Wondering if she too could go to Hogwarts. 

Tommy had left to sit with other Gryffindors, Colin Creevy following after the four boys to their compartment. I went down the train searching for my friends. Suddenly I was yanked into a compartment, my eyes were covered. "Guess who?" A males voice rung at my ear. I smiled.

"You oaf let go of me." He laughed, and my heart nearly swooned. Even though we were good friends I wasn't immune to the Diggory charm Cedric held. He was a Hufflepuff along with me, although back then he was cute when he welcomed me to sit next to him. Now he was becoming handsome. I knew he had eyes for a Ravenclaw girl named Cho Chang, there were no hurt feelings after a while, I just rooted for them. 

After he stopped barring me I noticed the company we had, Delilah Simmons was a sweetheart of our years, with blonde hair and brown eyes. She was shy but kind and called everyone sweetheart, a habit I picked up from the years being by her. By now I mostly had it under control but the words would slip every once and awhile. Next to her was Jay, he was a Korean boy, first-generation in England, and had been shy as well when he came into our compartment during our second year. Although now we questioned if he should have been in Ravenclaw due to his disposition to study non-stop, he always claimed it was because of his parents but we knew he did find some solace in being able to have a routine of studying. His hair was dyed a dark lavender, which only highlighted his pale color, he had his style of earrings and makeup that bought out his best features. I honestly had a fleeting crush on him although that passed as quickly as it came. 

My curiosity made me pay more attention to him. Afterward, I could only see him as a friend.

The last girl in our group was Mercy Rosier, she was my best friend and a Slytherin. I met her in the dungeons in my third year while I was trying to investigate the Slytherin Common Room for information on the Chamber of Secrets. Naturally, I was discovered loitering, although she helped me into their Common Room and covered for me. When I asked her why she told me she wanted to know too. We kept in contact over the summer. Mercy even visiting several times throughout it. While my parents took a while to warm up to her, they eventually thought of her as family, and Auntie Isa claimed she wants to meet her eventually. 

Mercy had black hair and dark eyes, although she had olive skin that only added to her charm. She was pretty with cupid lips and long lashes. Although I knew she would be more beautiful as we continued to grow. Not that she believed me.

"Quit smothering her Diggory," Mercy told him, she got up and sat me next to her. Another thing about Mercy is that she keeps everyone at a distance, using only our last names. Except for me and Malfoy.

We all sat comfortable, talking until the chatter became idle, Cedric had left by that point going to talk to Chang. The Prefects meeting had been delayed slightly so that gave me more time to spend with my friends. Mercy became comfortable with her head on my lap while I brushed through her hair. My eyes set on the passing scenery outside the compartment's windows. Delilah had taken a nap, her eyes closed, small snores leaving her. Jay had decided to read the Daily Prophet next to her. Mercy opened her eyes, glancing at the words on the newspaper Jay was holding. 

"Has your dad told you anything?" Mercy asked me, her eyes trained on my own, I sighed no longer hiding my disappointment. "He always ignored me when I tried to ask." 

"We can figure it out," She grabbed my other hand that rested next to me. "Together,"

I smiled at her kind words, "Of course," 

Sorry Mom and Dad, I just want answers. Not telling me only makes me more curious about people. My mind never stays still without something to direct my focus to.

"Judith we should get going, we have our Prefects meeting soon," Jay told her, we had been made Prefects together, much to our excitement. We already planned to ask the head boy and head girl to be assigned the same times to patrol. I nodded in agreement carefully moving Mercy; who fell asleep after a few minutes. We left the compartment heading to the meeting, along the way my eyes landed on the ginger hair of Ginny Weasley, she seemed to be with a few other girls from her house in a compartment a little distance from mine. I came to a realization, "Jay how much time do we have left?"

"Twelve minutes give or take," 

"We should get changed, we don't wanna have a bad impression, besides this way we can volunteer to walk the train." He looked at me for a few moments, contemplating my suggestion, "You want to get a feel for Weasley girl don't you." 

I smiled, "You know me so well," 

"I just know how far you're willing to go," He coughed, "Stalker."
 I rolled my eyes at him, heading back we grabbed our school uniforms and went to the bathrooms, it only took a few minutes and we were on our way once again with five minutes to spare. The Prefects meeting was rather boring, I recognized a few of the prefects as acquaintances, there were two sets from each house. The head girl was a kind Gryffindor, she was surprised at my eagerness patrol the train and became more amused when I volunteered Jay to join me. He only went along with my antics because of Puff's loyalty and knew I did the things I did for it as well. Soon enough we were patrolling the carriages after we got confirmation, I'd been to countless compartments warning students that they should get changed as well. Until I nearly toppled over when the train came to a harsh stop.

Clumsily my hands gripped anything to keep my balance. The train went completely dark, even the weather had taken a turn for the worse and the temperature dropped to arctic levels. I could see every breath I took.

"Go check on the other's," I told Jay, who was standing upright, he nodded his head once, before leaving to our compartment. I entered another compartment, hearing the huffs of several first years, they were in their robes, before sorting could give their house colors. They only huddled further together as I walked to the window of their compartment, I watched in shock as my breaths stayed on the window and a layer of ice began to cover it.