Welcome Home

A/N

Early Update since I have an event tomorrow! 

-

"I thought we would never arrive!" Delilah yelled from beside me, we have finally seated in the Great Hall the excitement of our journey on the train wearing off in anticipation for the feast. My eyes swept over the Great Hall, I could see Mercy was sitting at the Slytherin table on the other side of Malfoy and his cronies. Tommy, who I interrogated when we arrived at the platform was fine and only felt a little sleepy while on the train; This time he was seated beside Fred Weasley, which I narrowed my eyes at. Across from me, Jay sat, wanting to go back to the Hufflepuff dorms than the load on calories from the food in front of him.

 I didn't bother searching for Potter knowing that Professor McGonagall had dragged him and Granger off. 

I was thankful to have hidden behind my taller friends, knowing that the Transfiguration teacher would not have been impressed with my status as prefect and lack of robes. I don't think I'll be seeing that one anytime soon. 

"I thought that would never end," Jay said, "So it was Dementors that came onto the train?" 

"And now they're all over the school grounds," Delilah spoke, fear dampening her brown hues. Just as the Sorting ended I managed to catch Granger and Potter sneaking their way to some seats. I felt a pressure in my chest, pity for Potter I supposed; It was obvious that Potter probably didn't want more attention to his fainting, as naturally the whole school now knows. 

Our headmaster took his cue to stand at the podium, his eyes always gleaming, and for the first time since the train, I began to feel warm. Not the same sensation that I was spirited through on the train, but a sense of security and safety. At the teacher's table, I caught eyes with Professor Lupin only being able to give him a wave before our attention drifted back to the headmaster. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all as one of them is very serious, I think it is best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by the excellent feast..." Since when was Dumbledore this explicit, was there really more concern for the Dementors? He cleared his throat, before resuming "As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express our school is playing host to Dementors of Azkaban-" 

Delilah visibly shivered next to me. 
"Who are here on Ministry of Magic business," Dumbledore seemed to hold contempt at his words, and I felt a little more at ease. Of course, he wouldn't want to endanger us, but if Dementors are really here than the Ministry must have assumed that Sirius Black will make his way here. Professor Lupin was right about his concern on the train, Potter never seemed to catch a break. 

"They are stationed at every Hogwarts entrance and I must make it plain that nobody is to leave the school without permission," A murmur shook the Great Hall, the first years seemed to huddle together more so than before. "Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises or even Invisibility Cloaks. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I, therefore, warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the Prefects, our new Head Boy and Head Girl," I spotted the kind face of the Gryffindor I spoke to on the train. "to make sure no students run afoul of the Dementors." 

After the anxiety spiked throughout the Great Hall, Dumbledore seemed to realize that we needed another note to settle on. He introduced the Professors, before beginning to welcome the new face of Professor Lupin to the student body. "First, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher." The welcoming was rather tragic. Only those in the compartment clapping hard. Although I motion my friends to follow my lead, which they did after I kicked Jay in the shin again. "You are a bully woman!" He muttered harshly. 

"He looks rather shabby doesn't he?" Delilah said. I nodded my head, although my first impression was rather neutral the walk on the train made me want him to look and count on me. I felt a blush on my cheeks as a reason why came to mind, but I shook the thought off. Dumbledore had welcomed the Groundskeeper, Hagrid, as the new Care of Magical Creatures professor, with defining applause from the table of lions. I swore I heard pounding at the table. Hagrid who was now seated among the teachers was red in the face. Much to my amusement.

With his welcoming speech coming to an end, Dumbledore commenced the feast, students were quick to snatch food onto their plates. A thrill vibrating through us as we seemed to set the thought of Dementors or Sirius Black to the back of our minds. I tried to hunt down where Potter was sitting, imagining Black not too far behind him. 

I had to do well, Professor Lupin was counting on me to help him. It was for the sake of the information I wanted, I reminded myself. Only for that.

 I drank my pumpkin juice while Delilah continued the conversation. "That was weird, normally Professor Dumbledore says odd words like Pip! or Squeak!" She jumped at each sound as if to further enunciate the sounds; Jay only nodded. 

"Although these last two years he hasn't done that," he said. 
"I guess he did sound like he was predicting something." I pitched in the conversation; brushing my hair into a ponytail, "Do you guys think its because of Sirius Black?" 

"Probably" Jay agreed, "Probably about Potter if not him," Delilah said.

"The prodigy of Hogwarts as if he could have an Invisibility Cloak," Jay mocked, he grunted in pain as I kicked him under the table. Letting out a string of curses in Korean, "Merlin! What was that for?" He rubbed his shin. "You're a Prefect, act like one." 

"Are you alright Jay?" Delilah checked on our friend. Concern etched on her face as always when one of us was hurt. She pulled her bangs out of the way as she peered closer at him. "I'm fine." Jay let go of his leg, looking at me carefully, he regarded, 

"Something's different about you Judith, you're not so moody until after the first test." I rolled my eyes, stuffing chicken into my mouth. "Let's just not talk about Potter," 

He narrowed his eyes at me, for a second I thought he was going to question me more, instead, he asked me about my plan to get to Fred Weasley. Delilah also voiced her curiosity. I was thankful to have friends who knew my boundaries. We moved on from my thoughts to their suggestions before we landed on Delilah's crush, a pretty fellow Hufflepuff named Aria Walsh. I gave her my suggestions and use of my services which she told she'd get back to me on those later. Should she feel hopeless enough. Soon enough the feast ended. The clatter of knives and forks faded as students finished the last of their slices of pumpkin tart. The murmur in the Great Hall turned into idle chatter as students were feeling ready to return to the dorms until finally, Dumbledore gave the confirmation to head to sleep. I eyed the number of first years we attained this year, "Jay we need to guide the first year's back to the common room." 

He nodded and stood up, cupping his hands around his mouth he yelled, "First Years! My name is Jay Kim! You can call me Jay!" He directed his gaze to the gathering crowd of small first years around us. "Next to me is my ex!" I smacked his arm before he could continue, taking lead before he guided them to the Black Lake instead. 

"Ignore the moron, my name is Judith Chade, you can call me Jude, or Judith not Judy, " I told them, "I will be your Prefect, should you have any questions you can direct them to me. Let's move!" 

I walked ahead, being trailed by the first years,  a few places behind me Jay kept a close eye on them, "Stay together!" he told a few who nearly wandered off.