Delicate

The next morning Delilah and I had to run for the Great Hall. We had barely slept due to our excited chatter for our plans this year. She wanted to get closer to her crush, Aria Walsh, while I had my own goal. She knew I want to find out Fred Weasley's preferences for the sake of my brother. Although now it would have to be carried along with my own mission. I felt like it was too personal to share, and should she think I was being unreasonable about it I didn't want her to change my mind. Instead, I kept quiet about Judy Potter. 

Now however I realized it was also because I was afraid she would haunt me further in these halls. After she rose to snore I began to contemplate the weight of this year.

I need to find who Judy Potter truly was so that I can stop being just her replica.

I need to make sure my brother doesn't fall deeper if Weasley ends up hurting him. 

I need to follow through on my promise to Remus Lupin, and keep an eye out for Sirius Black.

Before I assumed that I could merely have my own investigations, listening to the news, the rumors of students, as well as conversing with my Auntie Isa just to abate my curiosity enough. I knew I wasn't brave enough to question Black himself, but I wanted to connect the dots. All the roads lead to Potter though, to be able to stay with Remus and also find what he knew about Judy Potter I had to get close to her son so that Professor Lupin and I could work as partners and also keep caution for Black. To get close to Fred Weasley I needed to interact with a family member or friend, Potter now came as a better candidate than Ginny or Ron. Better too that he is her son, meaning there has to be some information he has on her. Overall Potter became the center of my focus, I just needed to work out the issues with my schedule now.

"Wow, Judith you barely have any free time out of Prefect duties." I scoffed at Jay, my eyes narrowing into a heated glare. 

"You never really do seem to catch a break Jude," Mercy spoke from behind me, I whipped around, noticing the figure of my best friend leaning over my shoulder, she was in her green robes catching the interest of other Puffs before they turned around and ignored her presence. I groaned, "Jay how on earth did I get more of the Prefect duties than you? They are supposed to be balanced,"

He shook his head at me, "Don't ask me, maybe the Head Girl thought you were a little too eager on the train?" 

"It doesn't help that you also took charge too, going into those compartments, everyone probably knows your face now." Mercy spoke this time resting her chin on my head, she still hadn't sat down, "the head girl probably thinks your a prime candidate for the role in the future should you keep this up." Delilah reassured me,

"Or that you'll be less of a headache for her," Mercy pointed out. 

Great how on earth was I meant to get close to Potter now? "Mercy your friends seem to be bullying Potter again," Delilah motioned to the ruckus being made by Pansy Parkinson. The pug-faced girl, along with Draco Malfoy and his cronies were mocking Potter for fainting on the train, I felt bitterness at their bullying. Those dementors were nothing to joke about, I didn't even want to sleep over the worry that they might enter the school. 

"They aren't my friends," 

"Sure they're not," Jay rolled his eyes. Mercy only glared at him, "Quit being such a skeptic Jay, you're one of the people who were hard-pressed to be convinced that Potter wasn't the Slytherins heir." She sneered.

"I apologized for that didn't I?" He quickly became defensive, from behind him another voice rang out, Tommy had turned to look at us, his back being to Jay's at the Gryffindor table. I smiled at the sight of my little brother, "Not to his face,"

"Okay I've had enough of this," I shifted away from Mercy and got up from my place at the Hufflepuff table, checking to make sure I had the Prefect badge I walked over to Potter, Professor Lupin's advice running clear through my head. I appeared behind him just as he finished a conversation with one of the Weasley boys, Tommy who was on the other side of the farther one was probably sitting next to Fred Weasley; peered at me. "Everything alright Potter?" I wavered behind him. 

Harry Potter turned around to look at me, curiosity plastered on his face, Granger spoke for him again, observing her schedule closely. "We're fine," 
"No, we're not," Ron Weasley cut her off, "Malfoy is being a little git," he repeated George Weasley's words. 

I hadn't really known what to make of that, really I just needed a reason to talk to Potter again, I noticed Mercy walking to me, her expression marred with disgust, quickly I veered back to Potter, "Just let me know if you need anything, Potter, those dementors practically sucked all joy from me, I can't imagine how it was for you." I played the sympathy card.

He only seemed to become more agitated at me, "look I'm not delicate or fragile, I can take care of myself fine thanks." 

'Don't talk to her that way Potter, she was only going out of her way to be kind to the likes of you," Mercy criticized him harshly. A look of loathing plastered onto her face, I sighed at the display of house rivalry in front of me, Granger and Weasley were now present for this altercation sensing their friend's disdain. While the other Gryffindors watched unabashedly, I thought my words carefully. Irritation rose in me, Dramatic antics of Gryffindors already trying my patience. "Look, Harry, the only thing fragile, or delicate, about you is your ego." I snapped at him, "obviously with the things you've done in the past you're not, but you also need support and that is what I'm offering. Take it or not," I stared hard into his eyes, not letting his angered face intimidate me. 

Grabbing Mercy's hand, I nodded at Tommy, "Have a good day Tommy, we can talk later." 

I pulled Mercy away, ignoring how she continued to snarl at the Gryffindor trio. Quickly we met Jay and Delilah at the door, all of us leaving the Great Hall before we captured more attention, I had to shift Mercy out of the way of Hagrid, who apologized before entering the Hall. 

"Why would you ever degrade yourself to talk to him," Mercy questioned me, Jay and Delilah seemed to be unanimous with her question. I sighed knowing that my behavior in the future would only become stranger to them, I'd have to fess up eventually, 

"I was in the same compartment as them when the dementors invaded the train," they were silent, waiting for more, "I just, I promised that I would at least look after them,"
"Why would you do that?" Jay questioned.

"Let go of the kindness, Puff," Mercy told me; beside Jay, Delilah added her own commentary, "I think that's very admirable of you." 

I smiled at her, "Thanks Deli," 

"What did they feel like?" Jay asked me, I frowned recalling the feeling of ice in my blood, and the urge to scream in my head. I felt an invasion of things, loss, pain, anguish, fear, betrayal, and I didn't know why. The strongest emotion I felt was love though, and that allowed me to stay awake through the ordeal. 

"I felt as though I was embraced by death."