Hauntings

"Yes they were wonderful people, I pray to ask have you ever spoken to Harry about them?" This time Professor Lupin was the one to ask the question. I thought about how to answer it, it wasn't like I avoided Potter. He was in a completely different house, there were little opportunities to talk to him. In fact, as much as I could tell he always seemed to be on the other side of the from where I am. The only reason I knew this though was because there was constant news about his latest actions or trouble making habits.

When Mrs. Norris, Mr. Filch's cat, was petrified in the corridors I was returning from the Kitchens with Mercy and Delilah, we had decided to have our own celebration with the elves. Delilah had proposed the idea. If that wasn't enough proof, when Potter was getting the Philosopher's stone I was at the astronomy tower, I don't recall why I just wanted to see the stars that night.

Even in the Great Hall, I would usually sit at the Hufflepuff table closest to where my brother and I could also occasionally talk, Potter would sit with his friend in the middle of the Gryffindor table or even closer to the teachers. Our paths just never crossed, to the point where I would hear of him but never see him in Hogwarts at all. It honestly maddened me when the thought came to mind. Even Cedric had seen more of Potter than I have and he was in the same house and year as me! I hadn't realized that I went into a rant, venting to a man I barely met but already trusted. The more we talked, the slower we walked until it seemed like we were old friends catching up. 

"It is a strange coincidence that your paths have never crossed," Professor Lupin told me, we had finally arrived at the front of the train, yet we loitered outside the doors. I barely paid attention to my surroundings in the time I was talking to him, I nearly called him Remmy once accidentally though he merely grinned and told me he would let it pass when we're alone. 

I was astounded at how quickly I came to see him as a friend. Yet he seemed as though he always saw me that way with the banter he gave when I asked my questions. I wasn't certain though but it was relieving to have someone who would listen rather than just tell me to forget it or let it go. "Your paths are bound to cross though, I'm sure of it." 

"Why are you so certain Professor?" I asked skeptically,  he merely shrugged his shoulders before gesturing to my prefect badge. I honestly forgot I was wearing it. 

"Well from what I've heard about him is that he seems to get into trouble a lot, perhaps now as a Prefect you could provide aid when he needs it. Especially now." He told me. 

"Why now?" 

"I'm sure you've heard of Sirius Black," He said the name as if it were acid on his tongue, "he's an escaped dangerous wizard, deranged, and an angered follower of the Dark Lord."

I nodded, confirming that I head about the man, "Well sighting's of him have been trailing closer and closer to here." I gasped, does that mean?
"He's going after Potter?" I asked horrified. Professor Lupin agreed with my statement, "Does that mean that he will be able to get to him?" 

"Not if we're careful," Professor Lupin said, "You'll have to change that schedule of yours, see if he needs help." 

"Of course Professor," I wanted to be helpful to him, especially after my fiasco with the Dementors. He already felt like a good friend to me, and he wanted to look after Harry Potter, then I would help with that too.

"Good," He pulled back from me, "I believe we've loitered here enough, the other students are bound to be even more concerned."

I checked the clock above the doors we stood by, around ten minutes had passed since we left the compartment the Gryffindors were in. I took his silent suggestion at the mention of the students, "Would you like me to confirm that we'll be on our way?"

"Brilliant you are." I smiled, yes he was a friend. Bidding him goodbye, I walked back down the train, opening compartment doors once again as was met with the faces of worried, bored, or skeptical students. I eventually opened the very compartment we left and gave a warm smile to them, "We'll be moving soon, so try to take it easy." 

I looked at Potter, "How are you feeling?" His eyes widened as though he were surprised I asked him. He stuttered a bit before being able to make out that he was fine. Concerned that he hadn't recuperated, I walked inside and felt his forehead, ignoring the sudden shock I felt rush through me. Under my hand, I heard him gasp in surprise. Around us, the others were busy talking, but Granger watched Potter with concern.

"Are you sure your alright Harry?" She asked him, I removed my hand from his forehead, a tingle lingering. He felt fine, a little chilled but he should be fine. I hope. 
"I'm fine Hermione." He replied to her, he sounded exhausted. 

"Harry, Sweetheart rest," I soothed, my eyes looking down on his, they were practically identical shades, although his eyes were framed by glasses. Those eyes belonged to Judy Potter. He must know something about her. My resolve to look after the boy hardened. There were many reasons to look for him now, Fred Weasley; because of Ronald Weasley; for Tommy. Now because he's the son of Judy Potter, the very same Judy that haunts my mother. 

He looked like he wanted to argue with me, but didn't know how to, so he only allowed Granger to pull him down so that he was resting on her lap. He closed his eyes. "Thank you," Granger said to me. She was grateful for the concern and the help I gave them earlier. 

"You're welcome," I left the compartment after reassuring Ginny that everything will be fine, and no she doesn't have to accompany me out. 

Onto the next number of compartments, I thought tiredly. I felt the lights flicker onwards before the train began moving steadily and then all at once. Finally. 

At the front of the train, Remus Lupin dawdled with the conductor, his mind lost in thought as he contemplated his actions. Remus was perfectly aware of what he was doing, he only hoped that Willa and Henry would forgive him for this. 

The Professor stared down at the mirror image of Judy Potter. He was shocked to see her at first, feeling unprepared to have come across her and Harry so soon. Yet knowing that they needed him now, that he could fix his past mistakes and make it up to them pushed him to be able to look at the pair while they recovered from the Dementor's attack. 

When she had suggested to go on by herself, he couldn't control the forceful tone, the possessive need to make sure she stayed safe and near. The full moon already had taken its toll on him but Moony would linger a little while longer after each transformation. 

Both were terrified of her fading again so soon, illusions of her and James haunting him for years after they were gone. They were here now. She was alive with Harry, yet their paths never crossed. Remus was also perfectly aware that the reason would be her parents and Dumbledore. He wouldn't be surprised if Snape was also involved. 

 Yet walking alongside her, getting her to open up like in the past rejuvenated him. He truly felt as though he were living in memory and for that, he decided to selfishly bless himself with being her friend for the time she was here.