The return to the explorers' quarters

After a short trek for Don, and a long scrabble for Manuel and Oscar, the Explorers' quarters came into view, the automatic doors whirring open and shut with a click. "Right, keep still you, or I'll paint the floor with ya." Don trudged off, heavy footsteps echoing down the hall. Oscar scrabbled close to Manuel, bringing him in for another hug.
"I'm fine, don't worry about it, I'm the idiot for calling him out."
"Shut up." Oscar continued to hug him. Manuel sighed, letting him go. "You're fine now?" he nodded, looking around the place.
"I'm okay, the bigger question is where's Joseph?" The heavy footsteps returned.
"Come on you two." He gestured over towards his office.
"We getting employed? No thanks." Manuel quipped once again, before jumping at the sound of the crack of gunfire at his feet.
"What'd I say, Mr Vernan?" Manuel sighed, grabbing Oscar by the hand and leading him into the office.

Under better circumstances, Manuel would've been pleasantly surprised by the decorating. It was simple, yet creative, a green wallpaper with small cut frames where his photos were. In the bin, there was one smashed frame, but what he could see was a picture of Don and Joseph together, smiling like chums. There was also a small steel bookshelf with nothing on it tipped over to one side, revealing a small hatch with a ladder. "I assume you'll be fine climbing down a ladder with your injury, Mr Vernan?" he pointed the gun closer, and Manuel sighed.
"I will be fine, don." He smiled jeeringly, before starting his descent.