BBQ (pt.2)

Half an hour later, you and Justin were sitting around your family talking and just waiting for the stupid ass food to be ready.

"What is taking the food so goddamn long," you muttered looking over to where the food is supposed to be.

"What'd you say baby?" Justin said.

"Aw, he called her baby," your cousin sitting beside you mocked.

Without hesitation, you reached your arm over and slapped him straight in the chest. He doubled over in pain and you rolled your eyes before turning to Justin.

"I'm gonna go find out about the food," you said getting up.

You walked off in search of your mother to figure why the hell this was a barbecue but there wasn't no food barbecuing.

"Ma!" you called out as you walked into the house, "Ma!"

When you walked up the stairs, you went and stood in front of her room door. Just as you were about to knock, you heard a sniffle and a nose being blown. You twisted the knob and pushed the door open slowly.

"Mom?"

Before you, your strong, independent mothers who you had only seen cry less than a hand full of times, sat on her bed wiping her tears with tissue while looking down at a picture.

"Ma, are you alright?"

You went and sat down on the bed beside her and saw that she was looking at a picture of you when you were younger. It was about 7 or 8 years ago and it was picture day. Unfortunately, neither you nor your mom knew that it was so you had two big plaits at the side of your head and one was higher than the other but they were both sticking up in the air.

She sniffled, "I just can't believe how big you've gotten in such a short amount of time. It seems like just yesterday you were running around the house with your diaper off and today, look at you-you show up at my house with a boyfriend in a serious relationship."

You smiled at the memories of your childhood. You weren't born with a gold spoon in your mouth, but you were always happy with what you did have.

"You have no idea how proud I am of what you've become baby girl," she slung her arm around your shoulder, "You have a good man downstairs that really likes you, and don't let anything come into between you two lovebirds."

You smiled and felt the tears collect in your eyes but you wouldn't let them fall...your makeup was on fleek and you was not ruining it.

"Now that we're past that sappy, emotional shit, how about we go back downstairs and eat?" your mom offered as she stood up.

You laughed and stood up before walking out the room.

"Oh, and Y/N," your mom said as you were about to walk into the backyard, "If you mess up your relationship with that boy, I'll beat your ass into the ground."

With that, she past you and stepped onto the lawn. You smiled before following her action except going into the direction of Justin. It wasn't really hard; it was like finding the one marshmallow in the bowl of chocolates.

"Hey, Y/N," Justin said giddily as you approached.

You narrowed your eyes at the red cup in his hand and the bubbly look on his face. You knew your family-they would surely put something in his drink to make him bounce off walls just so they could get a laugh.

"What are you doing?" he said as you grabbed the cup from his hands. You brought it to your lips and took a drink from it. You felt the sweet, ice cold liquid slide down your throat as you handed the cup back to him. It was surely nothing that would have him on a couch past out in an hour.

"I don't know what this stuff is made of Y/N, but it's so good," he said and you wanted to laugh so hard, "You should really get your mother to give me the list of everything she put in this juice."

"Justin," you could contain your laughter.

"Yes?"

"You're drinking Kool-Aid," you sat down in the chair beside him still laughing.

You faintly heard your mother on the other side of the yard yelling at somebody about how she can't be gone for ten minutes without them not being able to slap chicken on a grill and throw some sauce on it. "I'm surrounded by screw-ups!" she hollered.

"So what? Does that mean I can't get the recipe?"

You held your stomach as you laughed because he looked genuinely confused.

"If you keep saying shit like that, I'm not gonna be able from my family when they wanna beat your ass."

"We'll finish this discussion at home-I'm getting this recipe one way or another," he smiled.

"Say one more thing and I'll be the one to beat your ass," you smiled back.

Before he could reply, plates of chicken with cornbread were shoved in your hands.

Took them long enough...

---

sorry for any grammar mistakes...I'll come back and fix em sometime later on.,