CHAPTER 8

After the Labyrinth preparation we were led back to the Great Hall for a dinner of mashed potatoes and stewed lentils

"You were with Aester," Fyn said excitedly, through a mouthful of lentils, "how was that?"

"I mean he was Aester," I shrugged, "but he did save me from being squashed by huge rocks so there's that."

Her eyes widened. "So are you guys friends now because that would be totally cool!"

"Ha," I snorted, "far from it. But you were with Odelyn how was that?"

Fyn went on to describe how she and Odelyn were in a cave that closed in on them.

"We were nearly crushed! Luckily, I'm only slightly claustrophobic," she said, proudly.

Ele joined us and recounted his and River's stroll through a corridor of fire

"Yeah if River wasn't an elemental we'd have been toast, literally," he laughed, taking a long sip of water.

"I thought fire was his worst element," Fyn mused.

"It is," he agreed, "so he called wind to clear a path through the fire."

"That is so cool!" she exclaimed, eyes widening.

I stared at my friends as they continued to talk animatedly and smiled.

"What are you smiling about?" Ele asked, waving a hand in front of my face. He had pianists hands, I noted, slender and carefully manicured.

"I'm just really glad," I began softly, "to be eating mashed potatoes right now.

I laughed as Fyn punched my arm and Ele just shook his head.

After dinner we had a short Wilderness Survival Skills section with a wizened, jovial dwarf in a wooded section of the Undergarden. Just basic things like starting fires and setting up camp.

You would think I'd be fine but when your teammates are elementals and princes it can be hard not to feel a bit useless.

I stood hopelessly in front of my mess of a tent while Vernon lifted up the edge of the canvas to Aester who put his tent up effortlessly, as Prince Syrion easily knocked pegs into place.

River lazily commanded the wind to do his bidding as Pelias just watched with a bored expression on his face that made him look uncannily like Prince Syrion.

"Come on Mycroft," Odelyn grumbled, picking up a few pegs, "you do not get to make me look bad."

Looking at the limp canvas on the floor I almost felt bad for Odelyn and Fyn for being stuck with me.

"Give it here," she muttered, after a few minutes of me making a fool of myself. She thurst the pegs into my arms and with a few choice movements, the tent was fully erected.