CHAPTER 20

I stepped out into the empty courtyard, determined fo find Ciel

I stepped out into the empty courtyard, determined fo find Ciel. I circled it once, checked the Great Hall again and searched the Undergarden, even stopping by the mine, but nothing. I saw Aester, Fyn, Pelias, and Ele, but no Ciel.

I had sunk down into the soft grass of the glade that we had camped out in, racking my head for where he could be, when River practically skipped into the garden.

He saw me and plopped himself down by my side, grinning from ear to ear.

"What is in the air today?" I grumbled, remembering Ele's dreamy grin as I sat up.

"It's called love, Sol. The sun shines brighter, the grass smells sweeter. I have a reason to live again!" he exclaimed, throwing his hands wide.

"Easy there, Romeo," I laughed, "keep this up and you'll be as dramatic as Ciel."

He sobered instantly. "Take that back!"

I lay back on the grass. "Speaking of Ciel-"

"In his room," he interjected, laying beside me, hands behind his neck.

"How did you..." I began.

"For one, I'm not blind," he said, laughing, as I pushed myself up.

"Thanks," I said, offering him a hand which he waved away.

"I'm staying here. Odelyn's at the river." He replaced his hand and settling into the grass, his dark skin glowing in the daylight.

"Stalker much?" I laughed.

"You wouldn't mind putting in a word for me would you?" he said, sitting up slightly. "Just to get me on her good side."

"We both know Odelyn doesn't have a good side," I replied, nevertheless detouring to the river.

"I know, isn't it great!"

I walked down the curved path to the stream but bumped into Odelyn halfway.

"So, Odelyn. I was just talking to River-"

"Never gonna happen."

"Okay," I nodded, stifling my smile as I fell into step with her.

We entered the glade where River lay half dozing and Odelyn flopped down to the ground, lying down in a way that was too enticing to be accidental.

"I'll leave you to it," I grinned, kicking River gently as Odelyn tried to glare at me.

But as I left the glade, my heart started to beat faster. I strode across the courtyard and through the castle, the vial thumping softly against my chest.

The thumping of the vial stopped as I entered the common room and stood at his door, but the pounding of my heart only increased.

I knocked quickly, before I had a chance to talk myself out of it. Why am I so nervous? I thought erratically as the seconds dragged by.