1.1

/ SCARLETT /

lyric-

i'm in pieces

it seems like peace is

the only thing i'll never know

how do you get up from an all time low?

--

..."Scarlett, wake up, kid." Austin's voice pulled me from my restless sleep. "You probably wanna get that mascara off your cheeks. If you hurry, you can get a shower and not have to wait. C'mon, come get your hygiene box."

I groaned and sat up. "Do I have bed head?"

He chuckled. "No. Now hurry up."

After my shower, Mr. Kelly led me to the room in which Ms. Ella had searched me last night. Two other girls and a nurse were in there. One of the girls was sitting in a chair you'd see in a doctor's exam room.

They were taking our blood.

Good. There's some pain for ya, Scarlett.

I leaned against the wall.

"Have you never been here?" the girl not getting her blood taken asked. She had long brown hair tied up in a bun, her face was dotted with lots of freckles, and she had braces. But she was really pretty.

I shook my head.

She smiled. "I'm Alli. I've been here before, but I just got admitted yesterday. They only take your blood on your first morning here."

"But you always pass out," the nurse said.

I smiled faintly. "Don't like needles?"

Alli shook her head. "Definitely not."

Maybe this wouldn't be so bad. These people weren't crazy. The psychotic kids were automatically put in long term. We were just short term.

-

"Why can't we eat in the dining hall?" A boy with dirty blonde hair helped Mr. Kelly set a table out in the Day Room, which was where we did basically everything but eating (except on occasion like today) and sleeping. The boy wore a v-neck tee and matching plaid shorts. Fabulous.

"It's cafeteria, Chris," Alli said. "This is the South. We don't use the term hall except when speaking of hallways because we're too lazy to say the whole word."

I chuckled and took a tray of food and a milk carton. "Yeah, get it right."

"And who are you?" Ooh, sass. I think he's gay. Cool.

I took a seat beside a pretty girl with crimson hair. "I'm Scarlett Marlowe."

"What're you in here for?" he asked as he sat across from me.

Austin appeared in the doorway. "You'll find out in group."

I liked Austin. He was cool. He had great black hair, beautiful brown eyes, and he was really nice. He made me feel welcome. No one else had really done that until I met Alli.

But don't get me wrong, I wasn't attracted to him. He was just a great guy, and I hoped to be friends with him.

"Where's the salt and pepper?" an African-American girl demanded. "They had it yesterday. Where is it today? I can't eat my eggs without salt and pepper."

I smiled at her attitude. This should be fun. So far, I liked everyone. So far.

Despite the fact that everyone seemed to be making the best of things, it was hard not to think about the current situation. We were in a mental hospital. We were all mentally unstable in some way. We acted like everything was okay, but we all knew that it wasn't.

I kind of wanted to be that one kid that didn't try to make the best of things, that took and gave things how they were. But I knew how that one kid would be treated. If you want to be the negative one, you've put a huge target on your back. Now, everyone will see as someone who's at rock bottom. When someone is at rock bottom, he can't be pulled down anymore. You'll be hit with everything that those around you have because you'll seem invincible.

I didn't want that.

I wasn't going to act like I was strong. Obviously I wasn't strong, otherwise I wouldn't be in here. I wasn't familiar with strength. I'd always been fairly week. I used to act like I was strong when I was a freshman, but after realising how stupid that was, I dropped the act and became the quiet girl.

It was a lot easier being the quiet girl. No one bothered me. They didn't see the need to.

After breakfast, we returned to our rooms, but for those of us who had to see the psychiatrist today, a worker was assigned to us to keep us from falling asleep or forgetting.

Austin made sure to get himself assigned to me.

I wasn't exactly excited about going to see the psychiatrist. I'd have to explain why I was here, what triggered my sudden urge to die. I really didn't feel like doing that.

I sat on my bed and pulled my knees close. "How often will I have to see this doctor?"

Austin sat at the foot of my bed. "Every other day."

I sighed. Hopefully, I'd be out soon.

"Most people only stay for five days, you know," Austin said. "I'm sure you'll be out within a week. You don't seem that unstable."

I chuckled. "I never seem to be what I actually am."

"Well, then what are you?"

"Reeeaaally screwed up," I replied. "I would kill myself, but heaven is full, and hell won't have me."

"You've got it all wrong."

I almost jumped at the unfamiliar voice. Austin and i both looked out into the hall to see a boy leaning against the wall across the hall. His hair was longer than mine, and better. He was cute.

"What?" I said.

"It's not that heaven is full or that hell won't have you," the boy explained. "I think the truth is that death won't have you. Because you're not ready for it. And it's not ready for you either."

"You're not from the other unit, are you?" Austin asked.

He shook his head. "Nah, I'm new here. I was told to stand out here."

I looked down at my cold feet. I didn't exactly understand what he meant, but I felt like he was right.

Death won't have me.