1.4

/ SCARLETT /

I never had amnesia. I just managed to convince them that I couldn't remember what I saw. I really wish that I could forget.

one year ago

I laughed and wiped the pizza sauce off my face. "Thanks, Katelyn."

She giggled and ran off.

"Where's Aria?" Gabby asked. "She said she'd be here."

I sighed and pulled out my phone. "I don't know. She wouldn't reply to me."

I had a feeling that I knew why. All the girls saw her cuts today. She ran out of the building and skipped the last period.

She wouldn't do something stupid, would she? I was always scared that she might kill herself in the night, and I wouldn't be awake to help her. I'd blame myself. We had this little promise that, if one of us leaves, the other leaves, too.

I called her. She wouldn't pick up. I kept calling. Nothing. I was growing frantic. "I've gotta go."

I didn't care how fast I was driving. I wasn't crying yet, shockingly. But all that mattered was getting to her. I couldn't lose her. I couldn't.

The front door of her house was locked. No one was home but her. All right, it's a weak door, I can do this.

I rammed my shoulder into the door. It cracked, but it didn't fall. I did it once again, and it worked. The pain didn't matter. I didn't care. I only had one priority.

I was pretty sure that my shoulder was dislocated. But I ran up the stairs anyway.

"ARIA!" I screamed. "ARIA!"

Her door was locked as well, but it didn't have a deadbolt, so I just kicked it in.

It took me a moment to process what I saw before me.

Her white carpet was no longer white. There was so much blood. I wanted to vomit.

And there she was, lying in the floor. Half-naked. Covered in blood and cuts. Deep gashes adorned her thighs, her wrists were cut vertically, and I fell to my knees as I saw her neck.

She'd slit her throat.

"NO!" I screeched. "NO, ARIA! No...." I was already in hysterics as I crawled over to her, trying to stop the bleeding. "Aria, please, no...p-please...i...i...can't do this with-without you.... Oh, my-my God, you fricking...you fucking idiot... H-how could you do-do this..."

I moved my leg only to feel something stab it as i let it fall on hers. There was a blade sticking out of her thigh. But I didn't care. I started sobbing loudly, not even caring if help came. She was too far gone. It was too late.

How could she do this? I even told her to overdose. I begged her not to take a brutal way out. Because I knew how it would affect me. I couldn't take this. It was my fault. I should've gone after her. I shouldn't have joined the team for pizza. I should've gone to her house. I could've stopped her. I could've stopped this. I could've helped her.

But I didn't, I fricking didn't. I was supposed to be there for her. But I wasn't. This was all my damn fault. And why the heck did I have to be the one to find her? I couldn't stand seeing her like this. I was having trouble catching my breath, my head was throbbing and so was my chest. It all felt so unreal. How was this happening? The only person who ever understood me, who ever shared my thoughts and views on things, gone.

I'd never find anyone like that again. I couldn't. She was one of a kind. I'd never be able to connect with anyone else like that, never again. So how would I make it through the day? How would I do this?

My anxiety attack progressed and progressed until I passed out. When I woke up in the hospital, I just told them that I couldn't remember anything.

I really wish it was true.