Chapter 1: It Begins

Waiting was agony.

Ramza of the House Fulzen walked back and forth in front of the door of the manse, unable to stay still, feeling nervous that his father was coming home from a year long absence.

"You seem awfully anxious. Here, why don't you have something to drink?" Asked a voice.

Ramza turned around to see Zoe, his personal maid, holding up a tray with ceramic cups and a pitcher of tea.

He sighed as he took a cup while Zoe filled it up for him. "Thank you. But I'd rather have some coffee."

"That makes you very hyper, sir." Zoe said.

"Hmm." He took a sip from the cup of tea as he glanced at the door, where his father could enter any minute now, "Any word from my father?"

The maid's head bowed. "Sorry sir, but there is no more news from master Poinz."

"Weird. He'd have sent another message by now."

"But isn't it it too soon? The previous letter from him was received two days ago."

"Ah, I'm sure it's nothing." Ramza paced around again, "I guess I'm just a little jittery that it's been so long since he came home."

Zoe put a hand on her chin. "Perhaps the shooting range may help?"

"That sounds like a good idea." Ramza smiled at her, "Please prepare some arrows. I'll go there in a while."

The maid nodded. "Very well."

She left Ramza alone at the door, who's head was still in the clouds. He shook himself out of his stupor, and walked to his room. As he closed the door behind him, he pondered on what his father had told him a year ago before he departed. The memory was still fresh, like an open wound.

That day, his father had called him to his office. Poinz was seated on a cushioned chair, back turned to Ramza. His spiked white hair jutted from the top of the seat.

"You called me, father?" Ramza prompted.

The chair swiveled to show his old man holding his signature cane.

"Ramza." Poinz smiled at him, "How are you doing?"

"I'm doing alright." Ramza replied, "Though teacher Espada is a little rough on me."

His father chuckled. "He may be strict, but he is quite the mentor. I can see that your swordsmanship has improved."

"Thank you, father."

"Your marksmanship is doing nicely as well." Poinz complimented, "Ranger Yumi tells me that you can hit the bullseye without the scope now."

Ramza looked aside. "But I still can't do magic."

Poinz looked at his son with sympathy. "I'm sure that it's just a matter of time before you can do magic. In the meantime, we'll focus on your other skills."

Ramza remained silent.

"You'll be fine." He assured, but he cleared his throat. "But this was not the matter I called you here for."

Ramza blinked. "Then what did you call me here for, father?"

"I have called you here to inform you that I am going on a mission." Poinz declared, "I will be gone for a year, doing work."

Ramza gawked at his father. "A mission? For a year? What for?"

"I am sorry, but I cannot tell you." Poinz turned around, "It is secret."

"Oh." Ramza bowed his head, eyes down.

"But I did not inform you to bring you down: I am telling you this because I want you to do better."