The man of the house

Not so long ago, Mathias and Lukas had left the oh-so thick forest, and wandered out and onto a clearing. It'd been weird at first, not walking in a forest with trees that seemed to whisper in a soft breeze, or the shadows the leaves would throw upon the ground.

The sun was up high, almost blindingly bright. There was barely even a cloud to be spotted on the blue skies, and the heat seemed unbearable. 'When did it become so hot outside?' Mathias wondered.

"Maybe we should sit down and take a break," Lukas suddenly suggested, bringing the Dane's attention away from the heat.

Seeing as Mathias wasn't going to reply, Lukas continued. "There's a tree over there, we can sit down and take a break in the shadows," he said.

Mathias looked over to the tree, and nodded. "Sounds like a plan," he said, hurrying up to the tree.

Lukas followed, not as fast as Mathias.

Both sat down in the green grass, leaning their backs on the tree trunk, and instantly feeling refreshed in the cool shadows of the tree.

When none of them said anything, Mathias decided to break the silence. "You got any water in that scrip of yours?" He asked, looking over at the norwegian who shook his head.

"Not much," Lukas said, his eyes closed for rest. "You drank most of it when we left the forest."

"Me? I'm not blind Lukas, you drank a lot of it, too!"

Lukas opened his eyes slightly, peeking over at Mathias with a cold stare. "Are we going to have another argument and split up again?" He said monotonously.

"..No." Mathias mumbled, and looked away.

Lukas closed his eyes again, and sighed. "Maybe we'll find a river somewhere. Dovrefjell isn't far away, and we'll need to stay hydrated if we're planning on fighting a troll."

"You're right," Mathias said, sounding more enthusiastic than earlier. "I can't believe how far we've come these past days. I was sure we were both going to die before we'd even get to the mountain!"

"Now, now. We still haven't reached the mountain, and we still don't know what we could meet out here," Lukas reminded him.

"Don't be such a worrier!" Mathias grinned. "Look around, all I see here are butterflies flowers."

"..I suppose you're right." Lukas sighed. "But let's not put our guard down just yet, there might be something else here just waiting for the sun to go down."

"Alright, alright. Speaking of which, shouldn't we find somewhere to stay for the night?" Mathias asked. "I mean, unless you want to sleep outside again."

"What are the chances someone's living out here? We're in a clearing in the middle of a forest, chances someone's even been here before us are small."

"You never know!" The dane replied enthusiastically, and stood up. "Come on, if we're going to find somewhere to stay, we should go now!"

.

And so they were walking again. They left the clearing, walking back into the forest. This one had taller trees, and the ground was covered in tree-needles.
Here and there was a couple mushrooms, which Lukas had to drag a curious Mathias away from.

They'd walked for awhile when they spotted a small cabin in the distance, hidden behind trees and bushes.

They stood staring at it for awhile, before Mathias spoke up. "See? I told you we'd find somewhere!" He grinned, and started running towards the cabin.