Home, sweet home

The large mountain was casting shadows over Lukas and Mathias, shadowing them away from the daylight.

It'd been a couple of days since the incident with the... creature, and in the matter of those days Lukas and Mathias had luckily been able to avoid any distractions.

Lukas had told Mathias how he got away from the troll, and Mathias had explained how he'd waited what felt like forever for the Norwegian to return. He'd, of course, left out how he had completely forgotten about Lukas' existence.

.

"So we're finally here," Mathias said, looking up at the mountain that was standing tall in front of them.

"Seems so.." Lukas responded.

"Should we start climbing up?"

"Probably, if we want to reach the top before midnight."

And at that, the two Scandinavians started to climb their way up.
Despite the rumours about the mountain supposedly being too tall to climb, there was really more walking than actual climbing. Apparently, not all rumours are true.

As the two climbed in silence, Mathias decided to speak up.

"It's been quite a journey," He said.

Lukas looked at the dane, before nodding. "It sure has."

"What do you think you'll do once we get back to the village?"

Lukas was silent, and a rush of deja vu washed over him.

After a moment of silence, he spoke up again. "Haven't you asked that before?"

Mathias shrugged. "Might've."

Lukas sighed, and they continued to climb, before Mathias yet again broke the silence.

"So?"

"So what?" Lukas responded.

"What will you do once we get back to the village?"

"...I suppose I'll go see my brother and Tino. They probably think I'm dead," Lukas responded.

Mathias nodded, and a heavy silence yet again washed over them.

This time, Lukas spoke up, right before they reached what seemed to be an entrance to this so-called Dovregubben's hall.

"What will you do?" He asked.

"Well..," Mathias thought, as they stood in front of the huge, dark entrance. "I'll go see my brother again. Last time I spoke to him was.. when he told me that I should go see you. And ask why you stole from me."

"Do you think he's worried?" Lukas asked.

"To be honest.. I'm not sure. He might be." The dane responded.

Lukas nodded, and they both stood there in silence while looking at the entrance. None of them dared say another word, as the realisation hit them. They'd reached the cave. They were going to fight a troll.

They might not survive.

They looked at each other, and made a silent agreement that they'd make it out alive. That it'd be okay.

As they walked into the cave, Lukas silently cursed himself for not having found any sort of light source before they went inside the cave.

It was completely dark, giving away any chances of seeing anything at all.

Mathias grabbed a hold of Lukas' hand, not wanting to risk loosing him in the caves. He was happy when his gesture was returned with a soft squeeze from Lukas' hand.