I'll eat you for breakfast

Disclaimer. Some sayings in this chapter might come off as slightly rude towards religion, but it is absolutely not meant to be insulting. I'd like to inform you that most were Christian at this time and era, as a normal lifestyle. More will be explained at the end of the chapter, as if I explain more here it would spoil the chapter. But it is NOT intended as rude in any way, at all.

——————

The sun rose up the next morning, shining it's light across the sheltered meadow where a certain dane and norseman slept.

A few sunbeams reached through the cracks of their stone cover, waking Lukas up. He blinked a couple of times, as his vision was a bit foggy from sleep.

Gathering his sleepy thoughts, the Norwegian grabbed his scrip and crawled out of the shelter to meet the early morning.

He let a slight smile replace his usual dull expression, before crawling back into the shelter only to be met by an already awoken Dane.

"There you are, I was wondering where you went!" Mathias exclaimed, scooting over to the norwegian to give him a short peck on the lips.

"Your breath stinks in the morning," Lukas pointed out, returning to his monotoned expression.

Mathias chuckled, before crawling out of the shelter.

"The weather looks good today. Maybe we'll get far without any disturbance this time," Lukas said, standing up beside the Dane.

"I sure hope so," Mathias smiled. "Come on, let's get going!" He set off towards the forest line, leaving Lukas behind.

"You're going the wrong way!" The norwegian shouted after him. Mathias stopped in his tracks, before jogging back to Lukas.

"Oops," He grinned, rubbing his neck in embarrassment.

Lukas sighed, shaking his head. "If you keep running off like that, you're going to get too tired to walk before the sun is even close to setting."

"No I won't!" Mathias huffed, pouting.

"Yes you will. Now let's go," Lukas said, before walking the correct way.

Mathias followed on beside him, jump-skipping like a little kid.

Despite his annoyance over the dane, Lukas couldn't help but smile at his innocence.

.

"Do you think the princess will be pretty?"

Mathias' question caught Lukas off-guard, and he stared at the Dane for a while before responding.

"Why do you ask?"

"Well, since we're rescuing her, what if the king decides that one of us should marry her?"

"There.. is a possibility for that, yes," Lukas replied. He hadn't even thought about what would happen once they got back home.

"Do you think we'd be allowed to refuse?"

"And risk being thrown back into the dungeons for hurting the princess' feelings? I don't know about you, but I'm not going to take that chance," The Norwegian sharply replied.

"..You have a point there," Mathias mumbled.

They kept walking in silence, occasionally having small and meaningless conversations to break the silence.