Chapter 4

Sabaku no Kankuro had always relished the feel of blistering sunshine licking his tanned face. He savoured the comforting howl of late afternoon wind as it swirled beneath his feet like shimmering pearls of sand. Unlike most people, he was hardly bothered by the cool beads of sweat as they glided down his back and dampened his black shirt. To him, It was a comfort against the scorching heat of the desert.

Staring at his battered hands, he allowed a rare glimmer of dejection sweep into his hardened heart. Time and time again, he had retained his emotions, imprisoning them within the darkest depths of mind, where no one - not even his own self - could reach. His heart, which used to flutter at her innocent smiles and burst with overwhelming love at her tinkling laughter - was now just a shell which beat at It's own expense. Neither fluttering. Nor thrumming.

Just existing.

Pushing the dark hood back, he ran a calloused hand through his lump of tangled dark russet hair. A reluctant memory invaded his mind.

"Kankuro Ni-san? Why is your hair sho meshy?"

"Will you brush it for me, imouto?"

A wry smile pried it's way to his sullen face.

"Kankuro! How many times do I have to tell you to sort that bird's nest on your head!"

"Sorry, imouto!"

She had always gushed about the tiniest details, worried over the most trivial things. Sheltered from the world and spoiled to bits, his imouto was the dearest to them all; the apple of their eyes.

And yet-

And yet, she had left them with nothing but painful memories and aching heartbreaks.

A devastating pang of pain surged through his right arm, interrupting his nostalgic reverie. Kankuro hissed in discomfort as his left hand covered the infected one. He had been working to create new venomous puppets for military purposes when he had suffered this acccidental blow of a herbal poison.

'Damn it! I need to make it to the hospital as soon as possible.' He gritted his teeth in frustration as another torturous sting flew up his arm.

"Kankuro? What happened?"

His eyes, which had glazed over from pain for a second, focused at the tall and broad form of a burly man.

"Baki-san." He addressed the man gratefully.

Baki was a large tough looking man in his late thirties. For years, he had served as an advisor to the Prime Minister - or Kazekage - and on rare occasions he acted as a caretaker to the Kazekage's children. Sabaku no Rasa - their father -  had always held Baki in high esteem and resultantly, his children also showered the man with great respect and unwavering trust.

"Kankuro! What did you do!" The man rebuked him gently as he supported the weakening body of the brunet.

"It was an.. accident. Don't worry." Kankuro grinned sheepishly.

Baki glared at the reckless young man and hurried him towards the mansion. At the questioning glance of Kazekage's second born, He explained that the hospital is too far and he, alone, would not be able to carry him. Hence, the most favourable option is to reach the mansion and begin immediate treatment.

Dark hooded gaze dropped towards the wheatish sand particles, glistening quite alluringly under the scorching rays of evening sun. What Suna lacked in facilities and modernity, made up in the abundance of natural minerals and inborne morals.