Training your Intuition

"I can't communicate" or "I don't hear anything" are typical woes of the learning communicator, especially if you are just starting out. The fear of failing or the lack of confidence that we actually can do this often become the blocks we are trying to avoid. 

So we turn to books or teachers or other external sources to tell us how to listen or hear or use our senses. And by doing that, we are essentially giving away our power and saying, "I can't do this — tell me how!" Except those "Hows" are often ways that work for them, not necessarily for you

The truth is, you DO know how! It is innately part of who you are — who all humans are. The knowledge may be buried inside you. It may need to be dusted off or refreshed. You may need to rebuild your confidence (and all of these things are where a good teacher can help). But that intuitive knowing is there — and you are already using it more than you think. This page is designed to help you recognize that!

How to do this:

​1️⃣ Look at a photo, either on this page or elsewhere. Take your time. Activate all your senses and powers of observation.

2️⃣ Start by writing down everything you visually observe about the animal. This can be things like, "She is older. She is black and white. She is smaller. She has bright, curious eyes. She looks anxious. She looks like she has a lot of energy."

3️⃣ Now write down things about the animal that are not readily observable from a static photo. This can be things like, "She is sociable, she is comfortable around others, she likes the outdoors, she likes to snuggle, she likes to run, she likes crunchy food." If this sounds like a stretch to conclude information like this, try "offering" this information to the animal, just as you would a child when offering a cracker or new food. Then gauge the reaction. A child might turn away in refusal from a fresh fig, and you would know right away how they feel about it. You can "virtually" offer an animal any of the above information and see what kind of reaction you get!

​4️⃣ Now close your eyes. By now you know more about the animal than perhaps you thought you would. What else is this animal like? Imagine you are right there in the room with her. How does she feel about your being there with her? What's her physical reaction to your presence? What is her personality like? Is she sweet and loving? Is she comfortable or nervous? Is she a picky eater? Where might be a favorite place to nap? You can use the same "virtual offer" method in the last step to gauge the reaction to different things. Write down your perceptions. Even if they just feel like guesses, they are still based on your intuition and internal senses.

5️⃣ How did you do? How did you feel?
This isn't about accuracy, it's simply about flexing your innate intuitive and sensory abilities — realizing that you have them and they actually work! Over time, and with more trust and practice, you will sharpen these abilities so your intuition works more fluidly and accurately.