Chapter 4➷ I Think You Just Gave Him a Heart Attack

When I joined Arson during the last few minutes of lunch, Matthew wasn't by his side anymore.

"So, who exactly is Matthew? Why does he look familiar?" I asked as I plopped on the seat beside him.

"Well, hello to you too," Arson said, offering me his most Arson-esque smile.

I rolled my eyes, and he shrugged.

"He's Avan's best friend. So you might have met him through your sister."

I nodded.

I tried to think of any social gathering where Riley might have introduced him to me. The only thing that popped was the day I asked Riley about her plans with Avan.

"Oh, he's helping his best friend deal with some stuff. You know how Matt is always so cheery? I think there's a hidden aspect of his life that he wants no one to know about," Riley had whispered, in a tone that indicated she was set on investigating.

"He's entitled to privacy, Riley. Don't do whatever you're thinking about doing. It's most likely a bad idea."

She nodded, then she smiled. "Well, you know me, Ava. Of course, it's a bad idea."

I was about to ask Arson for more information when a girl suddenly filled up the seat on the other side of Arson. I had never seen her before. Tears added glimmer to her light brown eyes, making her easily comparable to an anime character.

"You never called me back," she said to Arson, brushing back her hair dramatically. "I thought we had something, you know. But all you wanted was just a meaningless hookup, right? I can't believe I was that stupid." She topped it all with a sniffle.

The fry Arson was about to eat froze midway to his lips; his eyes slightly widened. "I, uh, I'm not sure I'm following."

A group of girls at the table behind us burst out laughing. The girl giggled and covered her face with her palms.

"I can't believe I did this; I'm so embarrassed. They—" she pointed at her friends— "dared me to do it. I'm sorry."

I smiled at how taken aback and mortified Arson looked. Red tinged his ears and the side of his neck. He looked down at his plate of fries as if he'd never seen it before. He was so different from his prideful self that it was almost adorable.

"I'm sorry," she repeated. "I'm Brooklyn."

She looked from Arson to me.

"I'm Avery. He's Arson, and I think you just gave him a heart attack."

She grinned at me. "I think I went a little overboard."

"A little?" I asked, glancing at Arson, who now seemed focused on the single fry he was holding.

"It was nice to meet you guys," she said, rising from the seat.

"By the way, Brooklyn," Arson called after her as she walked away, recovering from his surprise. "If we did ever hook up—" he allowed himself a smirk when she turned around— "I wouldn't be stupid enough not to call you back." He even added in a wink.

Blood rushed to her cheeks, coloring them pink, and she hurried off to her friends.

"You just couldn't let her win, could you?" I nudged him in the ribs.

Brooklyn almost had the upper hand, but he had probably been thinking all along about something clever or flirty to get back at her.

Arson grinned, before whispering mysteriously, "I don't lose, Ava."

➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷

"Want me to get you home?" Arson asked as we walked together along the parking lot.