Chapter 19➷ You Should Know Better Than to Take Her Word for It

Arson stared longingly at the bus as we walked past it. It looked much fancier than before since the team's budget had allowed for a revamp of the basketball team's bus for away games.

"Are you alright?" I asked as we walked into the school building.

The familiar wave of conditioned air welcomed me in, a nice change from the heat outside.

"Yeah." He nodded. "Of course." He must have seen the disbelief on my face because he went on, "It's just that there are only three games left for this championship league and this started out as my best year yet."

We sneaked our way through the crowd of students inching slowly through the halls as if the first period wasn't starting in two minutes.

I waited for him to continue because I sensed that there was something else bothering him.

He rubbed his neck, indicating that this was awkward for him to discuss. "I was also sort of hoping to get a scholarship from this to help Mom out."

I sighed and tried to find something helpful to say but I only found idle optimism.

"Maybe you'll recover before the last game if we qualify for the championship," I said, struggling to hide the uncertainty in my voice.

He nodded but he didn't seem to believe it either.

"Arson!" Coach William came out of the gymnasium as we passed by it, a classic silver whistle hanging down his neck.

"Coach," he simply said as a greeting to the tall and thin man that made us both crane our necks to look at him.

Coach looked pained to ask. "I wanted to, well, pick your brain. I have to name a replacing captain for the rest of the championship and since you've supervised the team's training for a while, I thought you would have some ideas."

Arson's face scrunched up as he thought about it for a while. I awkwardly stood next to him, unsure if I should just go to class while I still had the time or wait with him, so I just stood there.

"You can take some time to think about it." Coach chuckled. "Just let me know before we leave for the game tonight." He gave him a pat on the shoulder and walked back into the gymnasium.

From the corner of my eyes, I noticed him glance down at the splint around his wrist as though his burning gaze would combust it into ashes.

I wished it would.

I wished I knew how to help him.

Maybe he heard my unvoiced thoughts because he turned and gave me a genuine smile that filled my heart with gratitude.

➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷

Avan offered me a ride home after school. Maybe it was because the shadow hunting me never quite left my mind but I accepted.

I hadn't mentioned it to anyone since I first noticed it, partly because I believe it was a figment of my imagination since I hadn't seen it again after the fair.

Avan silently walked alongside me in the halls, occasionally sending furtive glances my way as to prompt me to say something and break the disturbing silence.

He cleared his throat and it seemed he was about to say something when we noticed Victoria waving in our direction.

She jogged toward us and the wave of students in the hallway dramatically parted to let her through.

"Avan," she said when she finally reached us after briefly looking at me.

"Hi, Vicky." He smiled.