Chapter 15➷ You See, I'm Something of a Court Jester

I fought the urge to smash the screeching phone against a wall.

It felt like it was barely a minute ago when I decided to take a nap. Naturally, it was more my fault than the phone's that I had agreed to go out on a Thursday afternoon when I could have stayed in bed instead. But you couldn't have everything.

Earlier today, Matthew had rushed to my table at lunch and spoke as if it was a life or death situation.

"Avery," he had said with an urgent tone, resting his palms against the table for support. "Today's the last day of the fair and you must come with me."

Instead of replying, I continued to munch on my protein bar. The fair only came to North Carolina once a year, but I couldn't see the emergency.

"Why would you need me there? Is Avan not going?"

He gave a careless wave at the mention of Avan's name. "He'll be there," he said, his mouth hosting the hint of a mysterious smile.

"Let me guess, you want a bigger group to get a ticket discount."

He nodded, visibly proud of my thought process. "You know me so well, Avery. But I also know that it will be fun with you there."

My heart swelled with irrational pride. I knew that couldn't possibly be true; I was the farthest thing from the life of the party. I didn't know why he wanted me there, but it was Matthew. And no one said no to the sweet expression on his face and his hollow smiles.

His invite felt much less special as the group slowly expanded to include more and more people. Even Henry was invited and Matthew had not spoken more than two words to the guy.

I waved away my childish resentment and changed comfortable clothes and running sneakers before climbing down the flight of stairs.

"The fair?" Dad repeated with raised eyebrows when I told him about it.

He knew about my reluctance to go outside and that I preferred staying away from public attractions.

"I probably won't stay too long," I said. "Unless you don't want me to go."

A part of me quietly hoped that he would refuse to let me go and that I would have an excuse to stay in. Free will was so problematic.

"Of course, you should go." An amused smile danced in his eyes as if he understood my ruse. "I'm glad you're hanging out with your friends."

"You would have to give me a ride. I would understand if you were too busy. You know I wouldn't mind staying home."

He chuckled. "I'll get the keys."

➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷

Friends? I pondered on the word, as Dad dropped me in front of the county fair.

The echoes of laughter and excited squeals reached me even before I entered. A gleaming multi-colored Ferris Wheel dominated the entire park, projecting its light unto the vast field to compensate for the setting sun.

"Ava! Ava! Look at these lights."

I glanced around me but no one had spoken. My heart sank in my chest when I recalled whom it belonged to.

As if on cue, Riley skipped past me then she was everywhere all at once. A long, embroidered cocktail dress floated along with her, as the wind chased her around the fair.

She turned to me, slightly slowing down her pace. "Keep up, Ava."

I was about to run after her when a hand on my shoulder stopped me.