Chapter 30➷ Do You Think You Can Do It?

Maybe it was the chilling temperature in Northwood's gymnasium that tempted me to blow hot air on my stiff, freezing fingers, or maybe it was the pale and flickering light inside the room, but I soon felt myself drifting to sleep as I tried to keep up with the championship game.

What finally jolted me wide awake was Coach William calling a timeout and turning to Arson after one of the newest players got kicked out of the game because of a string of fouls.

Coach William's look was hesitant as he asked the question most of us had been expecting for days. "Do you think you can do it?"

Do you think you can do it?

The question echoed in my head and I wondered if Arson was as full of doubts as I was. Not about him, I believed in him. Doubts about myself, because I was a much more difficult person to trust than he was.

Coach waited for Arson's response, and maybe he expected a negative one, but I knew that Arson wouldn't miss this opportunity. He barely spared a glance at his injured wrist as he jogged onto the court.

He joined his teammates and he instantly became the captain, though unofficially. He didn't need the title; he was a leader at heart. He gave them tips based on their previous moves, listened to Bradley and Jimmy's suggestions, communicated new tactics, and hyped them up.

I was suddenly much more invested in the game as I watched the jersey labeled with a huge number six run around on the court. I knew he would do great. It was Arson. I couldn't doubt him.

➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷➷

We didn't win, but it felt like we did. Northwood might have gotten the cup, but Arson played in the last game and to me, that was already a win.

Apparently, I wasn't the only one who felt this way. Brooklyn ran down the stairs next to the reddish-brown stadium seats and walked over to the players, ignoring the curious stares of the crowd, the coaches, and the teams.

He turned and watched her walk up to him, confused. Before he or anyone else could react, she wrapped her arms around his neck, slightly tilting down his head, and kissed him.

"Ooh"s, gasps, and cheers erupted from the crowd. And if I had been bolder, I would have clapped right along with the rest of his team as they whistled and hooted.

Arson's ears and cheeks were tinged red when she pulled away.

She mumbled something to him and the curious spectator in me wished I had heard what she said.

Much later that evening, we all sat on the grass of the park, eating ice cream from Gabriel's truck as a mini-celebration.

"I was pretty much convinced we would win up till the last minute," Jimmy said, digging into his sister's ice cream cup with his spoon. "Losing sucks."

"Hey! Back off." Jayce shifted, shielding her cup from him. "Get your own."

"Their chemistry was insane," Arson said. "They deserved to win. Besides, you—" He pointed his spoon toward Jimmy— "have two more years. Two more shots at getting us the tournament cup. We haven't won in six years. Fixing our team is now your responsibility, captain."

"One tip," Matthew said, in-between bites of his multicolored ice pop. "Stay in the game and you'll be fine."

Jimmy scowled. "I've been doing much better."

"Yeah, you have." Arson fist-bumped him. "You've been impressive, Jim. I'm so proud." He held his hands against his heart and blinked fast as if he was holding back tears.