Chapter 24➷ I'm the Evil Queen in Disguise

"Avery," she said in a soft voice and a small smile tugged at the corner of her lips.

My name sounded wrong out of the mouth of the woman who gave it to me.

She stood, immobile as though afraid that any movement would scare me away. Even with the mid-day sun shining upon her, she appeared cold.

Ironically, I was the one who couldn't look at her in the eyes. The sweet honey brown color of her eyes reminded me too much of Riley's.

This wasn't exactly how I pictured the first day of spring break.

I looked down at the fallen leaves on the ground. I didn't know what to say. I had imagined the moment she would come back thousands of times in mind, and prepared hundreds of speeches.

But as she stood in front of me, I realized that I had nothing to say to her.

I didn't want to hear about her career or her life. I didn't even want to hear any explanation she could have to justify leaving.

She was not my mom. Our physical features were about as deep as our similarities ran. As far as I could see, she was a stranger.

I stood up and tightened my grip on the marker I never even got a chance to use. I glanced at my sister's grave and returned the smile I knew she would be wearing if she could see me.

"Happy birthday, Riley."

Then I walked past my mother and didn't look back.

She didn't follow me, but the contrite expression I read on her face haunted me as I made my way out of the cemetery.

I didn't slow down my pace even to breathe until I reached my house. My mind was blank all the way from the cemetery but as soon as I stepped inside the living room, the thoughts hit me all at once, knocking me against the front door.

More questions than answers flooded my mind as I closed my eyes to attempt to push back an impending migraine. How could she be back so suddenly, without any warning? How could she go to Riley's grave when she never once visited us while Riley was still alive? Did Dad know that she was back? Did he ask her to come?

"Are you okay?"

My eyes snapped open and I found Arson standing in front of me, watching me with concern scribbled all over his face.

"I remembered what day it was today and I thought you could use some company," he added when I didn't reply to his question.

I pulled myself off the door I was leaning against and I managed to smile at him. "How did you get in?"

"Your dad let me in earlier. He had to leave for work but he asked me to keep an eye on you." He watched my clumsy movements as I tried to take off my jacket. "Are you okay, Avery?" he asked again, leading me away from the front door and towards the couch.

I brushed off the question and noticed he wasn't wearing his wrist splint. For a second, I forgot about mom and a newfound excitement filled me.

"Is your wrist better now?" I asked, thrilled at the idea that he could get to play in the semi-finals.

"Somewhat. It doesn't hurt as much but your dad just lectured me not to use it. Coach also thinks it's safer for me to let this season go," he said and casually dismissed it with a small wave of his uninjured hand. "Who cares?"

I didn't mention that he clearly did and allowed him the brief bliss of denial.

We sat down on the couch next to each other. It seemed rock hard today and lacked the comfort it usually gave me.