Chapter 16➷ I Don't See How That Has Anything to Do With Me

"I think I may like Arson," Brooklyn blurted out, as she and Jayce walked by my side on the sidewalk.

They had offered to walk me home, and it didn't seem like I could politely reject their invitation.

I didn't want to, anyway.

I noticed a swift movement behind us from the corner of my eyes. It wasn't the first time. Ever since our group parted ways after the fair, there was a consistent silhouette hovering about twenty feet behind us.

Jayce gave her friend a mocking smile. "Oh, really? What was your first clue?"

Brooklyn did not get the sarcasm. "Well, I did not like how close he was with that girl at the fair. I was tempted to march up to her and ask her to leave him alone." She sighed. "I guess I was kind of hoping I would get to hang out with him tonight and I was bummed when she came."

"Good." Jayce patted her shoulder in sympathy. "At least you're honest about your feelings. Are you thinking about telling him?"

"I don't know. You saw how he was flirting with her."

"He just hugged her, Brooklyn. I doubt that meant anything." Jayce shrugged.

"What if he doesn't like me? I don't want to put him in that awkward position."

"It's Arson; he'll be fine. At the very least, you would know for sure how he feels. And you would be able to move on quickly before your feelings for him grow."

As much as I wanted to focus on their conversation, I couldn't help myself from getting distracted. The sound of footsteps behind us was pulling me in, but I didn't want to glance back.

I shook my head to dismiss the paranoid thoughts as we neared my house and tried to remind myself that no one had any reason to follow me.

"Right, Avery?"

I looked up with a sheepish smile. I appreciated all the efforts to include me, but a looming feeling of not deserving their friendship settled in my stomach.

"I'm sorry. What did you say?"

"Nothing bad could result from talking to Arson about it," Jayce repeated for me with no hint of exasperation on her face.

I knew that Arson would likely be a good sport even if he didn't feel the same way about her. And it was unlikely that he didn't with the way he looked at her when she didn't notice.

"Yeah, go for it," I said, adding a thumbs-up after careful thought to appear more enthusiastic.

Maybe it was because the outcomes had nothing to do with me, but I found it hard to fathom any negative results.

Brooklyn nodded, even though uncertainty still clouded her expression.

As with anything that could bring her down, she brushed it away and changed the subject. "I saw that you two have Victoria in your group. What are the odds?"

"Oh, I think it's a good thing," Jayce said. "She's more than just a mean cheerleader, and I want to understand her better."

"Oh, please!" Brooklyn scoffed. "Sometimes, people are just mean. She kicked you out without a good explanation. I'm sorry if I have a hard time seeing past that. If I were in her group, this project would be the reason I wouldn't make it into a university. I would fail."

"It's okay. You don't have to like her."

The streets melted into darkness as we left behind the last functioning street lights. They had not worked since the last tropical hurricane and no one had cared enough to get them fixed.