I Live On

"No more staples."

BULLSHIT ENDINGS AHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHHAA I'M FUCKING SCREAMING AAAAAAAAHHHHH

Edge was refilling the stapler as his students worked on their assignment. He didn't mind the quiet chatter among the students, and regular shenanigans.

What piqued his attention was the comment a student made. Another student had hidden their air pods, and they were upset over the loss.

"Give then back! My dad will literally beat the crap out of me if I lose them!"

The constant suppression of his childhood crumbled, and Edge's usual calm demeanor drowned in trauma.

He slammed his hand down on the student's desk, so numb from emotion he barely felt the searing sting. He'd met the kid's parents, and they were strict, but only wanted the best for their child.

"Tell me," he hissed, "what is it like, being dragged into the next room while your father whips you mercilessly with his belt, making sure the buckle tears your skin? What's it like, screaming and sobbing while your mother pleads helplessly to save you? What's it like, being locked away in your room, starved and clawing at the door, praying for food, water, anything at all?"

He couldn't feel the tears pouring down his cheeks. He didn't even know he was crying.

He was shaking, his eyes wide and face devoid of color.

Memories flooded his mind, all the awful words Asvaldur had ever said to him. All the scars all over his body from being bruised, cut, whipped and burned.

All the pain.

He stumbled back towards his desk, collapsing into his chair. He rested his face in his hands, internally forcing himself to build back up the wall, suppress all those memories.

His students were silent.

They were very vaguely aware of their teacher's childhood, but it was never on the forefront of their minds. He'd never gone into detail, understandably.

One student stood, marching to Edge's desk and giving him a hug.

One by one, the rest of the class joined in.

Edge was one of the most beloved teachers at the school, though he hadn't been teaching there for very long, and he was still young.

Finally calm enough to speak, Edge apologized to the student for his outburst, though he was assured his reaction was justified.

It was the last class of the day. The principal was making their rounds, and couldn't help but smile at the unexpected sight.

When Lance heard about the incident that night, he was initially furious at the offensive student. He'd been there for Edge through high school, protecting him as much as possible from Asvaldur.

He hugged his husband tightly, pressing his lips to the ginger's forehead. Edge sighed contently, finding himself comfortable enough to fall asleep.

It felt so good being with the man who salvaged his past, allowing him to be a child. It was so nice to fall asleep safe and warm and loved.

As a child, he'd wished so hard not to wake up, just so his father couldn't hurt him.

Once he had Lance, he had a reason to exist. He existed to love Lance, and that became his motivation every single day. He loved every moment he shared with his dear husband.

Lance stroked his hair as he fell asleep, excited to have Lance be the first thing he sees in the morning.