15: Meet the Family

It's the next Monday at work, and I'm working the paint mixing station as usual.

I haven't told Jungkook about the impromptu trip that my mom wants me to make tomorrow.

Tomorrow is too soon, isn't it? He won't be able to make the trip in such a short time span. I mean, he's the boss, so leaving work for a week is crazy.

I sit a gallon bucket of gray paint on the tray beside my work station as I wait on the carrier to come pick it up.

He should've been here almost thirty minutes ago, so its unlike the workers to be late.

"I'm sorry I'm late!" The elevator dings, and a bubbly brown haired boy rushes towards me, wearing a worker's uniform.

He looks frazzled as he fishes in his pockets for the paint code scanner.

"Are you new?" I raise an eyebrow as I lean against the counter. "I haven't seen you pick up the paints before."

"Yes ma'am!" He nods and flashes an award winning grin. "I'm Park Jimin and I was just hired!"

"Right." I nod as I watch him scan each paint bucket.

"Is this all?" He asks, scratching his head. "I was supposed to pick up two more...?"

"Huh?" I question, looking at the full cart of buckets. "Those are the only ones I got the order for, though."

"Oh no! Did I mess up again?!" He whines, ruffling his hair up with his hands. "That's the third time today!"

I watch the scene before me, feeling sad for the poor boy.

"Hey," I whisper, getting his attention. "Its okay. I mean, I called the boss a bastard on the first day and I didn't get fired!"

"Really?" He looks a little more relaxed. "What made you call Mr. Jungkook that?"

"Well," I lean back against the counter. "Its a long story but first he hit-"

"Eh-hem."

A throat clearing makes me halt my sentence as I look behind Jimin to see Jungkook. His arms are crossed, and he dosen't look too happy that we're gossiping about him.

"Mr. Jungkook!" Jimin regains his frazzled composure. "I'm- I'm sorry sir I wasn't slacking! I'll be on my way now!"

I give a wave to Jimin as he rushes away with the cart of paint. My attention now gets focused on Jungkook as he calmly walks to the counter.

"Sunny," He starts, his arms still crossed. "I'd like it if you didn't discuss our personal life with the new hires."

"Oh it's not a big deal!" I shake my head, giving him a smile. "I was just trying to ease his nervousness, that's all!"

"Right." He raises an eyebrow. "I'm going to pretend that you weren't just about to talk bad about your boyfriend."

I smile.

"I wasn't going to talk bad about you!" I poke his arm as he leans against the counter. "... But I do have to discuss something with you."

His full attention gets turned towards me.

"What is it?"

I explain everything to him about my mom, and at first he just listens quietly. It's only when I'm finished speaking that he raises his voice.

"I don't know... tomorrow is pretty short notice-"

"Right!" I interrupt him, not wanting to go on the trip myself.

"But I think we can manage that."

"Huh?!" I stammer out my words. "You want to go? Really?"

"Yes." He nods his head with determination. "I have to use this opportunity to impress your mother! You've already impressed my family, now its my turn!"

It's the next morning, and me and Jungkook are packed in the back of a taxi, heading for my hometown. It's in the rural countryside, and I stare out the window at the familiar woods that surround the backroads. Jungkook seems just as entranced by it as his gaze never leaves the window.

Please, don't let my family embarrass me.

"Ive never came out to the countryside before." Jungkook finally looks over at me. "This is where you grew up?"

"Yeah." I nod. "There's not a lot to see besides trees and nature, but its peaceful and a good inspiration for art."

He agrees with me, and its not too long that we arrive to my house.

It's nothing to drop jaws about, its just a simple three bedroom house that's planted out in the woodlands. There are a couple of neighboring houses nearby, and the daycare center is a few miles away.

"Hi, mom!" I jump out of the taxi, running to give her a hug. Her bunned up dark hair falls down in places as he hits me on the arm before I can hug her.

"You crazy girl! Don't try to weasel your way out of this situation!" She peers behind me at the taxi. "Where is he, anyways?"

I turn to see Jungkook step out of the taxi, our two bags in his hands. He pays the taxi driver, and begins to make his way over to the two of us.

"Ooh he is a looker, isn't he?" She whispers from my side, and I shush her.

"Jungkook, this is my mom." I introduce the two. "Mom, this is Jeon Jungkook. My boyfriend."

She gives him a once over as Jungkook stands awkwardly, not knowing what to make of the scene before him.

"It's nice to meet you." He starts, sitting the bags down and holding out his hand. "Ive heard so many wonderful things about you, Mrs. Kim."

She doesn't take his hand, however. She gives him a final look as I watch her face stretch into a smile. She hits him on the upper arm, laughing.

"Oh, I like you already!" She grins at the boy. "Welcome to the family, Mr. Jeon!"

"Oh no, please call me Jungkook!" He laughs, feeling relieved that the first impression went well.

"Where's Seokjin?"I ask, not seeing the tall blonde anywhere around. "Shouldn't he be here, too?"

"Ah," She nods as if remembering. "I sent him to get food. He should be back any minute now. Oh! But there was someone else who was excited to see you again-"

"Sunny!" I spin around just in time to be engulfed in a hug by someone with dark hair. He picks me up momentarily before sitting my feet back onto the ground. He pulls away and I finally register who it is.

"T- Taehyung...?"

A/N

Thanks for reading chapter 15!! Dont forget to vote and leave a comment!

-Hannah