Chapter 23

The weekend was already here, and I warned Alberto not to come because I wanted some alone time and frankly speaking, some sleep. I didn't get any with Andre popping up to hang out, teaching and attending at the restaurant the whole week. I didn't complain either, I needed to get busy. I had a lazy morning, and woke up later in the day. I had a warm bath, and washed my hair. I always forgot to get myself a blow dryer whenever I was out, and had to air dry as a result all the time. With this cold, I wondered how I still wasn't sick. I wore a white shirt, and jeans, closing my balcony door and lifting up the windows just a bit for some air. I put some water on the stove to boil, and heard the doorbell.
Damn this boy. I thought. It must have been Andre. I completely forgot to tell him I didn't want to be bothered. I reached for the door handle opening it, and stepped on to something at the same time. It was a piece of scrabble. I picked up the piece, completely forgetting I had opened the door. My head shot up, and my heart for a moment stopped beating. My eyes widened a bit, and I couldn't believe it. How? It was the only word in my mind as I stared at him in disbelief.
I should have known when the familiar perfume hit me. I slowly looked at his whole body. His shirt-usually fit- was a tiny bit loose on him, as it looked like he lost some weight. His fine neat jawline was covered in stubble, and his eyes were red reflecting different emotions I couldn't read.
I was speechless frozen. I didn't know whether I felt anger about what happened, sad at how he looked or shocked. Maybe all three. But I had moved on, and that's what I had to portray so he could maybe leave me alone. I gripped the door handle, and opened it a bit wider signaling that he could come in. I stepped aside, and watched him come in. I closed the door unsure of what I was doing. Either way if he didn't get in like this, he would have used brute force. Different things raced through my mind, like was he being followed? how many people did he come with? And the most important, did Mateo know?
I gestured at the couch, and he took a seat. I rubbed my sweaty hands on my jeans, and sat down on the couch adjacent to his. I didn't want to go back those lies, and Victoria. I had done so well forgetting, but now the memories were back, and I just stared at my bedroom door. I knew I had to avoid his touch. I wasn't sure that I moved on-or at least I tried to believe I fully did-but I was sure his touch would give me all sort of feelings I didn't want. The room was heavily silent, and I could feel his eyes on me.
There was no escape, and I had to face him. There was a low and distant blow like a breeze, then it got louder and clearer. Whistling. My kettle was hot. I got up, and walked over to the little kitchenette. Thank goodness for that. I shakily brought out a cup for myself, then I thought of asking him for good manners sake. I looked over to him, and thankfully he was just staring at the blank tv screen.
"Would you have some?" I asked impressed at the stability of my voice. He nodded looking at his hands. Well at least he wasn't looking at me. I put the cups on a tray, and carefully served the tea. I put it on the coffee table, and picked up my cup. I felt maybe it was rude not to hand his but I didn't want to have any contact with him.
***********
He didn't know what to expect when he stood at her door, he thought maybe he had the wrong address.
He remembered when she had come down to the condo. He had been dizzy, and his headache was the worst he had had in his life. He couldn't comprehend what was happening and when he had seen her, he knew something wasn't right. He was in bed, and there was Victoria. He tried saying something but he couldn't. His lips wouldn't part but when he saw her tears and how she run off, he called out her name.
He remembered struggling to get home in his state, and Carla telling him she left hardly saying a word in tears. She didn't know where she left to. He felt a bit sober after having really strong coffee and went around looking for her. But he was too late. She wasn't anywhere. He went to the airport and with help got the news.
He felt like his heart had been ripped out. She left. He thought maybe it was a type of cruel joke, but his source was always right. She went to Nice. But was she going to stay there or move again, he didn't know. He was more than frustrated and his headache wasn't helping. He got back home, and waited for it to cool off but it didn't so he went to hospital.
He thought she would come back. A week passed, then two, then a month. He couldn't bear the realisation. Drake hadn't heard from her, Stacy was mad and wouldn't even talk to him. Christina tried to reassure him but they knew deep down that it might be permanent. She hadn't call anyone. He was only grateful that her parents and his were on a three month trip around the world. He couldn't eat nor sleep.
Why had she left? She didn't even wait for any explanations. He was angry at her, but then he realised it was his fault.
When he finally realised that he could find her, he left immediately. Then again he was scared. What if she had completely moved on. No, he thought. They shared something more than that and it had only been three months. Three long agonising months. Standing at her doorsteps, he wasn't sure anymore. Sometimes he felt like he didn't know her.
When the door opened, she wasn't even looking at him. Instead she picked up something she stepped on, curious. He realised then that he loved her so much, he wasn't going to be able to take rejection.
"How are you?" He asked looking at her green eyes. She was avoiding his eyes. Sipping with such tranquility on her tea, as if she didn't break his heart and disappear on everyone that loved her.
************
He asked me. I felt a little pinch. He was still courteous. I looked at the steam from my cup, then thought maybe I better look at him because knowing him, he will think I couldn't handle his presence. So I looked at him, then back at my cup.
"I'm good. How are you?" I replied sipping my tea. I didn't know what to expect from this visit, where this was leading, but I didn't want to show that at all and I hoped I looked unphased.
"Seen better days." He replied leaning forward. I couldn't take it anymore. I needed to ask whether Mateo knew this or not. Was my family at stake?
"Is Mateo behind this?" I asked finally stared at him to know whether he would lie or not. He frowned. His face changed to confusion, then sadness. I looked back at my tea cup.
"No, he only called once since you left. He knows time is up, but he trusts my words and doesn't mind. He's been sick." He replied. He trusts his words. I wonder what he told him to keep him off. Besides the old man was sick, and now I felt a bit bad.
"I'm sorry." I apologised looking up for a second.
"Okay." He replied sighing.
Now is the time Skylar, I thought to myself. I dropped my cup on the table and uncrossed my legs. Be brave, I thought again.
"Why are you here?" I asked glancing at the coffee table, then looking at him in the eyes. He raised his eyebrows.
"You know why. Why did you leave?" He retorted, and I was shocked.
"What do you mean why did I leave?" I asked getting angry. "Have you forgotten that I walked in on you and Victoria 'making love' as you would say it? For the second time it seemed." I said quoting 'making love' and frowning at the thought. He frowned looking angry as well.
"You don't know what that must have felt like maybe that's why you're asking." I spat my anger controlling me now. His jaw clenched, and he looked away.
"I loved you, and that's what I get in return?" I asked now my anger getting the best of me. He looked back at me with sadness in his eyes. I opened my mouth to talk again but he raised his hand up.
"Please stop." He asked, and I did. He pulled out a letter and handed it to me. I looked at it confused. "Read it."
I took it, for my own sake and because I could tell it was serious. I opened the lid, and unfolded the paper. It was a medical report. A drug test. His drug test. He had had anticonvulsants and sleeping pills mixed in his blood. I was lost, and looked up to him for an explanation. What the hell was I supposed to do with this? I thought.
"Look at the date." He pressed and I did. It was the day it happened. That's why he was feeling drowsy.
"She drugged me." He said. "Victoria." He clarified. My eyes widened a bit. Why would she do that?
"She paid one of the baristas to spike my coffee, and that's why I couldn't move. We didn't do a thing, it was all a set up." He turned fully towards me as I slowly lowered the paper, realising I might have been wrong the whole time.
"I would have never done anything to hurt you. I can't believe you left me without any explanations." He said angrily.
"What do you mean any explanations?" I asked now hurt.
"You didn't wait for me to explain. You just left. You left me." His voice became almost a whisper it was so low with torture.
"What did you expect me to do? What would you have done if you found me in the same position as you with Dylan?" I asked and his face changed to stone.
"I would have-"
"Exactly." I interrupted before he finished. "Do you know what it felt like to see that? I felt little. Like I wasn't enough. You had to go back to your ex. I felt unwanted. Like because I didn't have sex with you, you only said okay because you were looking for it elsewhere." I exclaimed not realising that all that was within all along but I couldn't face it. He looked sorry. I felt my vision become blurry but I didn't want to cry, not now. I looked away and tried blinking them away.
"Skylar, you know that's not true. I love you, and I can't live without you. Not anymore. That's why I'm back."
I closed my eyes, and felt a tear roll down. I tried to ignore his words and my feelings, and breathed my eyes still closed.
"I'm so so sorry." I heard his voice full of regret. I shook my head.
"How did you find me?" I asked cleaning the tear and looking back at him.
"Thats doesn't matter." He said his yes roaming my face. "You have the choice to come with me, you can call anyone if you want." He added. I nodded. I had to take my life back now. He gave me the choice.
"It doesn't, it's all in the past now." I said and looked away. "So are we." I added dropping the paper.
"Skylar," he began making a move to hold my hand but I quickly moved away, almost flinching.
"Please don't touch me." I begged looking down. It's the last thing I needed now. I felt his body move back into the couch, and I knew I had to avoid looking in his eyes from now on.
"You said I have a choice. I already moved on, and I suggest you do the same." The words just bluntly fell out of my mouth, and I didn't feel them.
"I will move on." He replied but added "when you tell me you don't love me anymore." He said.
That could be easy. "I don't." I said making sure it easily came out because I didn't want him to think otherwise.
"No. You've to look at me and say it." He said, so I did. My words were stuck in my throat when I did look at him. He looked tormented although his voice didn't show it. I couldn't do it, because I didn't feel it but I had the choice of a new life and I could contact my friends one last time and hope my parents forgive me. Why not?
"I don't love you anymore." I said trying to sound simple, but it came out terse. He looked at me in sorrow for a long time, then nodded and looked away. He took out his phone, and put it on the table.
"Stacy is waiting for your call. She's almost due." He said looking at the tv. Before I could think of anything else, the doorbell rang. What sort of timing was this? I thought. I got up, and opened it. It was Alberto.
"Hello Ms Moreno." He greeted with his warm smile, and I felt a little better but my heart was being squeezed and throbbed at my job with Liam.
"Hi, how are you?" I asked with a little smile.
"I'm good. May I?" He asked gesturing to come in. I glanced towards Liam who seemed lost in his thoughts but listening, and shook my head.
"I'm sorry Alberto, but I have an old friend here and we have a lot to talk about. You can come tomorrow if you like?" I said apologetically lowering my voice just a little bit. He nodded, and took my hand.
"Of course." He kissed it and smiled before turning around and leaving. I sighed. Such a sweet man. I closed the door and sat back on the couch.
"Do you know when the next flight out is?" He suddenly asked all serious. I shook my head. Understanding he wanted me to look, I went to my bedroom and picked up my laptop.
"Two days."
"I had just a one way flight." He explained, and I was internally screaming. How great was that? I thought. Now that I actually wanted him away, he was staying for two more days.
"I'm guessing you didn't book a place either did you?" I asked quietly. He shook his head. All the hotels were booked. I couldn't ask Andre to host him, nor Alberto to keep him. That was too much to. It was dusk, and my hair was halfway dried up. I closed my laptop, and went back in the bedroom. I opened my drawers and closets, looking for warm blankets. I took two, and picked one of my pillows. I put them by his side thinking maybe I had to be nice since he was calmly leaving without any fights. It hurt a bit that he didn't try but I knew I didn't want that either.
"You can have the couch." I said with a small smile but he just stared at me for the longest. It was his way of communicating at times and I understood that.
"Do you want the windows opened or close?" I asked looking away from his gaze.
"Opened." He replied and I looked back. He was rolling up his sleeves, showing his nicely toned muscled arms that were once around me all the time. I mentally kicked myself for thinking so far.
"It gets a bit cold later." I warned, and he got up facing me. I held my breath at our closeness and how he looked at me with despair, roaming my face and his eyes landing on my lips, then back in my eyes.
"Bathroom." He said and I almost didn't hear with the sound of my heartbeat. I nodded, and pointed its direction to him. He disappeared behind the door, and I let my breath out. Two long days.
*************
He closed his eyes and tried to concentrate, but all he could think about was her words. 'I don't love you anymore.' It was the way she just easily said it that frightened, and left him in torture. He splashed some water on his face, thinking why she would lie so badly to deliberately separate them. She called him an old friend in front of that guy. He knew she was single in the eyes of the whole town, but not him. She was still his, and he would try to let her see that. Maybe she was still hurt from what that desperate Victoria did, but he wanted her to realise that wasn't his fault.
He hoped she came around. He didn't want to forcefully take her back. He was afraid that would make her hate him, and he didn't want that. When he came out, she had on the tv and was watching some sort of show in Spanish. She looked back at him, and smiled. It pinched at him that it was a genuine one. She was actually done with him. It wasn't his fault. They were just going to end like that. He took his seat back, and stared blankly at the images. He wondered how long he could stay here watching how she naturally acted like nothing was wrong. Not so long.
**************
I watched as he absentmindedly took a seat, and stared at the tv. I looked back at the show, and tried to understand what the lady in red was revealing but I couldn't focus anymore.
It's not right. It's not his fault. He did nothing wrong. He loves you. You love him. My conscience was repeating a singsong, and the tv was the only thing trying to drown those words but now they were too loud and I was a bit cold from the opened windows. I went for my sweater in the bedroom, and came back to sit. I was wondering whether it was still worth watching. I didn't want to spend so much time with him in the same room, so I shifted my sleeping time earlier and got up.
"Are you sure you're okay with the windows?" I asked him again. He raised an eyebrow at me.
"I'm not you." He said and I smiled. He still had the time to tease.
I shrugged and picked up my tray to the the kitchen.
"Goodnight." I said once I was done cleaning the cups and packing them. He nodded and I closed the door, standing against it for awhile. I didn't think I could sleep tonight. I laid on my bed, and decided to read a book to keep my mind off things but it wasn't working. All I could think of was the hurt in his eyes when I spoke-though he didn't speak, I knew he was trying his best to control himself and I hated myself for it.
I thought I could move on from everything but his presence now, makes everything so hard. I stirred and turned until two in the morning when I finally got up, and opened the door. I had my jacket on already, and needed my scarf to go out. I stepped out and everywhere was quiet. The tv off, he had the blanket over him and faced the ceiling. I tiptoed to my coat rack where I left my scarf and picked it up, putting around my neck.
"Where are you going?"
I jumped a bit at the sound of his voice. It was quiet, yet loud compared to the absolute heart attack.
"Next thing you know the hospital for a heart attack." I said trying to calm myself, turning around to him. His eyes were closed. "For a walk." I replied. He didn't have to know that I couldn't sleep. He opened his eyes then, and stared at me.
"At this time?"
"It's safe." I said opening the door and feeling the breeze. He didn't like it-I could sense his eyes on me but telling him to come won't stop his control, it will only push it. I stepped out and closed the door behind me. I took a shortcut towards the building where I taught. I only walked there about five times since I began and it was just because I woke earlier than usual. It was quiet of course, and there was no one on the road. That is why I loved this little town. It was safe, and most of the times quiet. Everyone looked after their neighbors-almost like a big family.
I didn't have a watch with me so I didn't know what time it was when I saw the first car approach. I was already at the building when my phone rang. It was my 3 a.m alarm going off. At this time I usually start getting ready to leave the house for yoga on the beach, but with this cold that was impossible. I turned around and walked a bit faster back home so I could be there and get ready for school. Poor Alberto must be wondering who my old friend was.
When I stood in front of my door, an idea came to my head. What if he just followed me there? See what I do so he wouldn't think I was lying about moving on. He was just going to have to follow. I will force him anyway.
I opened the door and almost froze on the spot-it was so cold. I closed both windows, and increased the heater.
"Why did you close them?" I heard his voice again but this time I didn't jump. I turned around and he was sitting up, shirtless.
"Oh my God aren't you cold?" I asked trying not to stare down and keeping eye contact. I took just a glance to see that though he might've looked like he lost weight, his abs were still intact.
"No. This is actually very warm." He pointed at the blanket. Of course it was, I am not a fan of this weather at all. Neither was my mom-which is why when we relocated from Cali, she chose California because Arizona was far from work, and it wasn't so close to the beach.
"I can never understand that." I shook my head taking off my scarf and jacket. I looked at the clock on the wall. I still had time. I took a breath and turned to him again.
"Do you want to follow me to work?" I asked suggestively. He kept quiet.
"While you're thinking about it, do you want coffee?" I asked going to make myself some.
"Yes." He replied, and from the corner of my eyes I saw him get up.
"Yes to following me or coffee?" I asked opening my top drawer. I tried reaching for the coffee but it was too high, and I forgot where I put my little stool. I stretched a bit more, and felt his body heat from behind. He took it and I got down from my tiptoes, turning around and almost gasping at our proximity.
"Coffee." He said and I took it from him with a small smile. I turned around to get other things. So he didn't want to come? What would he do the whole day then? I made the coffee and served him. Checked today what I was supposed to do but realised I didn't have class on Mondays all the time. I groaned at the fact that I woke up early for nothing. I only worked from 12 at the restaurant.
"What's wrong?" He asked and I sat down on the couch.
"I don't have it this morning. So I woke up for nothing." I finished rolling my eyes.
"Then I don't have to come." He was putting back his shirt on now.
"Yeah but I have another at 12, just for awhile. Then we can go to the flea market." I smiled.
"You've had it all figured out."
"Maybe." I said looking outside. The sun was rising already.
He came with me to the restaurant with me, and I had told him he could wait at the back but he just sat at a table like any other client. I didn't mind so long as he was comfortable. I got the usual clients, and some new from the city. Most of them were old couples, or a group of boys or men. Today for some reason they were being more flirty than usual. I usually just dismissed them and asked the manager that I was so fond of -an old man in his seventies-whether we could change the uniform, which attracted eyes for girls. It was a short black skirt with a white long sleeve shirt. We almost looked like high school girls. That was his style though, he said.
It was almost closing time, when I saw Andre come in with his friends.
"Ciao big sis." He said hugging me tight. I hugged back, and subconsciously thought that might not have been a pleasant sight for Liam, but I wasn't supposed to care.
"Hi boys. Sorry I'm leaving now." I apologised smiling.
"Already? Do you have places to go?" He joked knowing I liked the comfort of my home.
"No, but I have a friend visiting so we have to go." I said looking towards Liam. He was on his phone.
"Oh I see. See you tomorrow then, since you're busy today." He said smiling. Of course he was supposed to get me my fruits. I smiled and patted his arm.
"Let's go." I said once I was standing near him.
He was quiet the whole time, and I found it a bit suspicious. He was always quiet but at least from time he would say something but now he was just dead silent on the walk. I passed by the flea market for a lamp I had noticed on Saturday. I bought it, and we walked to Greta's house.
"Ciao Greta." I greeted finding the old lady over her stove, heating up some water. She turned to me with a smile.
"Hi Ana Maria. Who's your friend?" She asked and I turned to Liam who gave the old lady a smile.
"This is Christopher, he's just visiting." I said walking over to see what she was trying to do.
"Hello Christopher, how are you?" She shook his hand.
"I'm good, how are you?" She nodded.
"Have a seat please." She suggested showing the chair. "Could you make us tea Ana Maria?" She asked taking a seat by him. I nodded.
"Greta is the one who gave me my flat when I came. She's my great grandmother's childhood best friend, which is why she calls me Ana Maria." I explained to him putting down her Cinnamon and mint scented tea.
It didn't take too long before she opened up to Liam, and started talking about different encounters in her life, and stories. They were funny stories at first but it got a bit uncomfortable for me when she started talking about her husband.
"The love of my life. Ana Maria and I always wished for soulmates. I know she loved your great grandfather though." She paused looking at me and I smiled.
"But my Tino and I were soulmates. Do you know how I knew it was a 'meant to be'?" She asked me and I shook my head wishing it would stop.
"We were watching this movie once, and I put my head on his chest. I realised that our hearts were beating just the same. I loved him so much." She finished with a meek smile. She stared at me and Liam now, then cocked her head to the side.
"How did you guys meet?" She asked and my heart dropped.
"Our parents are friends." I thought it came from my mouth, but it was Liam. I let out a quiet breath thankful he replied because I didn't know what to say. She nodded and put the cup to my lips and sipped a bit, looking down.
"Why are you not dating then?" She asked and I almost choked. I coughed out and let out a breath.
"Forgive my curiosity Christopher but don't you find her beautiful?"she asked again and I wanted to die then.
"She is." He answered, and I felt his eyes on me. I turned towards him, and he was indeed gazing at me with such intensity, I turned back to Greta-the culprit of this situation. She smiled at me, like she didn't know what she was doing.
"You will make a beautiful couple. In fact-"
"He has a girlfriend Greta." I interrupted her before she added anything else. Her face changed then to sadness then.
"Oh I'm so sorry, I'm sure she's a pretty girl." She apologised without any remorse in her voice-almost like she was dismissing what I just said-getting up. She went back in her room and I sighed.
"I'm sorry, she can go overboard at times." I said glanced at the clock and thought we spent enough time already.
"Greta we're leaving." I exclaimed getting up and grabbing my coat.
"Coming!" I heard her shout followed by a little shuffle. He followed my lead, and we stood by the door-quiet. She came back with a box of chocolate-my favorites, but handed it to Liam.
"Don't share with her, she's had enough." She smiled.
"Greta" I complained and she gestured me over. She took my hand to the kitchen, and leaned in.
"Are you sure you he's happy in hiis relationship?" She asked me with a little concern on her face. I nodded.
"Why?"
"Well he looks sad, and the way he looks at you." She paused with a small smile. "My Tino used to look at me the same wat right before he told me he loved me, or acted like he did." She referred to her deceased husband again, I only smiled because she was sweet and didn't mean any harm. I quickly ended the conversation, and we walked back home in silence.
At my doorstep was a box covered with a handkerchief. It was the fruits. Andre must have probably been in a hurry, or have a date to not wait. He helped me pick it up, and dropped it in the kitchen. Once my heavy clothes were off, I went in the bedroom for a pair of socks.
"So-"
"I'm leaving." He interrupted me suddenly. I blinked to process that.
"What?" I asked confused. Leaving to where? I thought.
"You..have moved on with your life without a care for me, so maybe I need to leave now." He said staring at me with anger. Was this a guilt trip? It was working a bit. "Can I use your laptop?" That came out more as a demand than question. I couldn't even think straight, his first words were still playing in my head. I took it, and opened the page. I watched as he took a random flight out to Belgium in the evening.
"I do care." I finally said looking away. He got up from the couch shaking his head.
"You don't. I thought the love was mutual...I didn't know it was just me." He answered coming up to me and looking directly in my eyes, the pain reflecting in his blue eyes.
"You know that's not true." I defended with a little frown now unable to look away.
"Did you ever love me? At any point?" He asked and I was hurt. That was painful to hear. How could he doubt that?
"How can you say that?" I asked feeling too many emotions rise up, and I couldn't stop them this time.
"The way you just dismissed me today proves it. You never did. You're letting me go in pain." He looked down like he was in agony, while I was being tortured emotionally. "Love never goes unpunished." He added with a breath.
"Don't say that." I shook my head rubbing my face so I wouldn't cry.
"I'll leave now." He said abruptly looking up.
"Your flight is in the evening." I said confused at his precipitation.
"I don't think it'll do me good if I stay. You are fine." He said again, the words pinching and stinging.
"Christopher-"
"Can I have a hug?" He asked out of the blue, and I was lost for a moment. Of course he did, he always wanted a hug before he traveled, and now might be the last time that I see him. Last time. Did I want that? Of course not.
I stepped closer unsure, but he took me in his arms by surprise and I was engulfed by his fresh cologne. I relaxed a bit, and felt butterflies in my stomach like the first time I hugged him. My arms were numb at my side as he held me, because I didn't want anything else to happen. Or was I just kidding myself? My body got warm at his simple touch, I have butterflies and I didn't want him to leave after everything he said. I loved him, and there was no denying that.
I slowly put my arms around him, and held his back. He suddenly pulled me closer, and hugged me tighter. I felt my heart beat faster as he held the little of my back, and kissed the top of my head. I raised my hands up to his neck, and put my hands around it. I missed him so much. I didn't know what kind of games I was playing in myself while he was clearly innocent. We stood in the middle of the room hugging for the longest time when I felt his arms relax, and his neck stretching up. He was leaving. We pulled away, and I looked at him desperately. He looked like he was in agony, with no choice because of me. This had to stop, and I had to. Our closeness was an advantage to me so I used it, and kissed him. It was so sudden, I shocked myself but that's what I wanted. He froze at first, and I stopped wondering whether that's what he wanted as well. He looked at me in both eyes and grabbed me, kissing me with such fire, I had to pull away for a second to breath.
I traced his jawline with my fingers and cupped his cheeks, kissing him all over again. He held me tighter like there was any space left, and roamed my back with his hands. When I pulled away this time, I looked down at his lips.
"I love you so much." I said as clear as my thoughts and kissed him gently again before stopping. My legs were dying from being on my tiptoes and he understood. I sat on the couch, pulling his arm to sit with me and he did.
"I'm sorry for everything." He apologised taking my hand but I shook my head.
"It was never your fault. I'm sorry if I hurt you saying all the things I said yesterday."
"Did you mean them?"
"Of course not. I thought I was helping us, but I was being selfish I-"
He stopped me with a kiss. "Don't doubt my love for you again." I said noticing his hair was a bit out of place.
"I didn't. I was just pulling my last card. And it worked." He said lowly as I finger-combed his hair. I smiled. Of course he would. I looked back at his face, and he was staring at my lips. I smiled.
"You have a flight tomorrow." I reminded him to snap him out but he wasn't budging.
"I don't." He said, then looked up at me. "I came privately."
I raised my eyebrows questioningly. So he had his own flight ready all along, but he stayed. To convince me to come back. He lied about everything to try. It worked, and I loved him for that.
"I love you Ximena Moreno." He said gazing in my eyes. Whenever he mentioned my full name, I felt weird and light in a good way. I smiled using my thumb to caress his cheek. He got on one knee, and pulled out a ring with a cushion cut noticeable-diamond. My heart dropped. I couldn't believe he was still proposing when we didn't have a choice. But he gave me one. I melted right then, and had tears in my eyes.
"I still ask myself when I fell so deeply for you Skylar. I cannot fix the time, spot nor look, but I did. I-"
"Yes." I interrupted him, and he smiled. The kind that made me fall for him. He slid the ring on my finger and I kissed him.
"I think it began when I first saw you. At Mateo's birthday dinner, in that beautiful dress." He said getting up and pulling me in his arms.
"Your anger just blinded you from such a gem." I joked and he smiled.
"A precious one." He replied kissing me, and leaving trails on my neck.
*************
Once we got back home after I had said my goodbyes to everyone, I was scared of everyone's wrath. I thought Stacy would kill me, but she too emotional over the fact that I had left her alone to be angry. I was so sorry, but we were both glad I was on time for her delivery. I was the only thing close to family she had, and she wanted me in the room with her. Drake was so nervous at one point, I think he almost passed out. It was the funniest sight. She delivered a little girl so beautiful with Drake's eyes. I was her godmother and I was so proud.
I visited her everyday, and a week later I got a text in the middle of the night about how she couldn't calm her, and since I always seemed to, she wanted me over. She had a nanny but she didn't like that idea at all. I was in Liam's arms, and I tried getting out of his grip when it tightened.
"Where are you going?" He asked looking at me.
"Stacy's." I replied turning around to face him. He looked worried, and unsure. Since we came back, he had someone with me all the time, saying he didn't want to risk losing me again. And since he couldn't follow me everywhere, he had someone do it. I gave him a short kiss and smiled.
"Trust me if I leave I'd be killing myself." I smiled and he reluctantly let go.
Those nights were wonderful until my parents came back. My mom, and Shannon had a wedding to plan. Christina was desperate to get away, and I didn't know why until it began. The changes were rapid and immediate. First thing I moved out of Liam's house, and he couldn't even argue. I spent the whole time in my parents' house, planning with the hired man Shannon had picked out. He went to the very detail of everything even what type of detail I wanted on the flowers ribbons. Both dads were also on, controlled by their wives with no escape. Mateo-now with an iron health again, only had to move a finger and he would be here so they had to plan everything else to be done in Florence. I was exhausted a two weeks into planning, and the worst was that they seized my phone to focus, and I couldn't talk to Liam.
In between running for measurements, invitations, and booking tickets to Tel Aviv for a dress fitting, I got a call on the landline and everyone was to busy to pick up so I did.
"Hello?" I answered waiting for someone to rap about details.
"Hey." It was him.
"Oh, hi." I greeted relaxed, and realising how much I missed him.
"You weren't expecting me huh?"
"Anyone but you." I admitted looking around. "Actually if they see me talking to you I'd be on for drama." I said noticing Sam-the wedding planner, pass.
He chuckled on his end, and I smiled.
"Do you think you can make time for a commoner like me today?" He asked and I thought for a while.
"What time?" I asked.
"Negotiating for your time now, I see."
"It's very valuable, and so is my ass."
"In two hours."
I met him on the cliff we had our first date, and it was right on time for the sunset. Once we settled comfortably in a blanket, I suddenly felt so tired I found it hard to keep my eyes open.
"Next time I see you will be at the altar." He whispered in my ears making me shiver a bit.
"I've to fly to Tel aviv tomorrow." I said and he kept quiet. I turned to him with an apologetic look.
"I'm sorry, no wedding plans talk. How are you?" I asked cupping his cheek. He smiled.
"It's a bit hard without you, but soon you will be mine." He said holding me tighter. I chuckled and kissed him.
"Forever." he said leaning his forehead against mine.
"Forever." I assured closing my eyes.