XI. Marine Time

Rick was joyous to see John again, albeit in a different world, and in a new body. When the fiasco in the dungeon was over with, they discussed further details and how the two of them would contribute to keeping the Horde's aggression at bay.

COUNCIL ROOM

"So, now you know my friend Rick. Forgive him for what he supposedly did at Stormwind. Allow him the courtesy to speak for himself. Rick."

"My name is Rick Redford. I am a retired member of the United States Marine Corps. I can help with the Horde problem you guys are having right now."

"You claim to have military experience. What is it exactly you specialize in?" Jaina asked

"Melee combat, demolitions expert, battlefield reconnaissance, even search-and-rescue operations. I do have training in marksmanship and unarmed combat." He replied

"Damn, Rick! You served for only 7 years, and you get both a goddamn Purple Heart and a Navy Cross. Amazing!"

"It seems that you are more than what meets the eye. I ask you to show your combat skills. Follow me to the field." Tyrande requested

"I have a request, though. Do you have something for war paint? And I will train without armor."

"If you wish to do so. We will start once you deem yourself ready."

TRAINING FIELD, NEARBY HOLLOW OAK

Rick had his warpaint in the classical sense: Two black stripes beneath each of his eyes.

"Now, do you have somebody to be the opponent?" He asked

"I will suggest Ilyaria. This will be part of her training." Raene replied

"Okay! Let's see what you got."

ROUND 1: Rick vs Ilyaria

Both readied themselves. Both have no armor, only light clothing. Their only weapon is a dagger. 

Ilyaria made the first move. She lunged at him with a slash.

Rick anticipated it, and disarmed the taller night elf. Then, he flipped her. She growled out of frustration. Rick distanced himself a bit.

However, Rick decided to prolong the match. 

"Get up. Use the chance to get back at your enemy. Pick up the dagger."

Ilyaria stood up, picked up the dagger, and decided to speed-dash.

When she got close, she was about to do a stab at his side.

Rick reacted with a spin dodge, and used her momentum to disorient her. She tumbled down.

"How about this? I won't dodge. Go straight for me. If I counter, don't take it as a grudge if I hurt you really bad. I'm training you to increase your pain tolerance. Now, go for it."

Taking this as a taunt, Ilyaria stood up again, and went straight for his head.

Rick expected that reaction, and returned it with a fist straight to her abdomen. He struck hard, but only enough to knock the wind out of her.

PUNCH.

Ilyaria's senses went dull, as the force from that focused punch caused her to grunt and curl in pain on the ground, and she started to sweat profusely. However, this worried Rick, as he thought he just did too much. Then, she threw up from being dizzy.

"Oh, shit! Fuck! Medic!! Help her!" he said worriedly

Raene, Eloimaya and Silenia helped her stand up, and led her to a bench. Merah prepared some water for Ilyaria.