XII. Talk Over Dinner

Sorry if I haven't tended to this story for a while, as I now have four works. As compensation, this chapter will be full of humor.

-DarkInfinity

....................................................................................................................................................................................

When everybody grabbed themselves a seat waiting for the evening course, the first people to talk were Rick and Varian.

"Footsoldier, I have never expected you to actually best me in plain combat. Tell me, why do you have quite the rude personality?" Varian asked.

"I'm sorry for the outburst back in the dungeon. I was confused as hell. And you telling me to stand down just didn't make me feel better." Rick replied

"Truthfully, what has happened to the one you impersonated in the ship?" Varian asked another question

"He's alive, hopefully picked up in the shipping route. I just knocked him out before I threw him overboard." Rick answered

"Forgive me if I was too harsh to you. I'll be honest, I challenged you just to keep my stance." Varian responded.

"It's fine. Anyway it showed that we are both men of our words, and I respect that. The training session was actually a good thing for me and you."

Varian nodded in satisfaction and agreement. Rick extended a handshake as an act of reconciliation and friendship. Both men accepted the gesture.

Everybody was relieved that the tension is finally gone. Now, the next people to talk were John and Jaina.

"So, your name is John. I find it quite strange for a demon to have a human name." Jaina remarked

"Indeed. Now, John. You claim to not belong in that body. If that is the case, then how does it feel?" Varian questioned

"Quite okay, actually. The only things that bother me are being large and heavy. Before you guys came over, the girls and I ran a training session concerning my speed." John answered

This was quite unusual. Large beings of his stature usually don't rely on mobility. Jaina decided to inquire further.

"How did the session go for you?"

"I learned how to catch up to Tyrande in speed and turning."

"That quickly? Impressive. But out of curiosity, what do you need the mobility for?"

"Since I am large, potential enemies would expect me to be dumb and slow. I can use my size to push aside a crowd. Add it with speed? They'll get thrown out of the way. Plus, if anybody needs saving, I am up for it."

Quite the smart decision. Using his strength and durability along with good speed would make him quite the formidable opponent. Him being on the side of the Alliance made them relieve themselves.

Then suddenly, dinner was being served in the banquet hall. The waiters and the waitresses were on their way.

The sight of John's gargantuan figure put a shock to them. They were about to flee, but Tyrande ordered them to stay calm. John made an effort to talk to them. Everyone watched what was going to happen.

"I know that I look scary as hell and I'm huge as fuck. But I don't like hurting anybody innocent. You. Girl with the short hair, what's your name?"

"U-umm.... Silvian."

"Okay, Silvian. Come here. I've got something for you."

Silvian, the young waitress, hesitantly stepped forward. The other staff were tense, as they feared harm might befall the young night elf. The rest were curious.

"Silvian. Tell me, are you scared?"

"Y-yes.."

"Yet you stepped forward. See? You've got a brave soul. I might have done something, but I didn't. There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity. You are on the side of bravery. Go on, ask me a question."

"Why are you so nice? Aren't demons supposed to be malicious and cruel?"

"Silvian, I am not like all demons. You know why? My soul doesn't agree with their idealisms. Everyone was born with free will. It's what they do with it. Like, you had a choice to scurry off. But you made the choice to approach me."

Silvian was utterly shocked, for she could not fathom such compassion can come from a demon. John told the staff to resume their tasks and to calm down. He gave out a hand to Silvia. He gave her a relaxed expression.

"Place your hand here. Tell me how it feels like and how you feel."

"It feels... rough, yet... warm. I feel... strange, like I am in contact with a... gentle soul."

This made John glad. At least on the first contact, he managed to befriend another person without any kind of hostility. He placed his other hand on top of hers, closing them together.

"You know, you have a gift. Use it to spread joy to others. I am glad to have had this conversation."

"Thank you. I must get back to work. I have enjoyed this meeting. Have a nice evening." Silvian said with renewed resolve

"Carry on, you brave girl." John said with a hearty chuckle

Silvian gave off a small smile before she resumed work. Everyone, including Varian and the catering staff, were pleased with the event that has unfolded. However, this elicited a malicious grin aka a trollface from Rick.

"Oohhh, Barney the Dinosaur has become a big softie! Johnny boy, you keep your nice attitude going, you might become a park attraction." Rick gave a teasing remark

"Come on, Rick! I just want to make friends, not enemies." John replied

"One gold coin to meet the big friendly giant! He will treat you nicely! Bring your children too! All for one coin! Haahaahhaaahhhh!!!" Rick shouted like a salesman,and maniacally laughed aftewards

"SHUT UP, RICK!! You deranged psycho!" John replied in embarrassment

This only made Rick laugh harder and tear up a little. All the others chuckled from the enlightened mood. When the humor settled down, they began to dine. Silvian inferred that both of them were good friends. Everybody enjoyed the dinner, which consisted of seafood, fermented dishes, fresh vegetables and fruits, and lots of wine.

Rick was glad to have a nice helping of a proper meal, compared to the old food and the hardtack he ate on the ship he stowed on the way here. The rum on the ship wasn't that good to him anyway. John was also glad to have a nice dinner, and indulged it.

When they were done dining, everybody went to rest and slept the night away.

MEANWHILE....

Rick decided to stay up, and got the last helpings of the other wines to celebrate his own enjoyment. Sad to say, he drank way too much. He sorely missed drinking the good stuff, and drank till he could no more. That habit was a byproduct from his years in the Marine Corps.

In his drunken state, he had found a set of stairs to rest on. Eventually, he fell asleep. Slowly, he drifted to sleep. With all the excess alcohol and a good helping of food, he was going to have an ugly morning the next day.

Without noticing from being so drunk, Silvian was peeking from a corner and noticed the human's drinking spree

Without noticing from being so drunk, Silvian was peeking from a corner and noticed the human's drinking spree. She was going to inform John the next day of his friend's actions.