An Unlikely Couple

Leo's POV

"...This is a way to kill a wife with kindness, and thus I'll curb her mad and headstrong humor. He that knows better how to tame a shrew, Now let him speak; 'tis charity to show."

"So what does this whole thing mean?"

"Basically, he would use cruel tactics to punish his headstrong wife's unladylike behavior until she obeys him, all in the name of kindness and love."

"That's messed up!"

"Yeah, but that reemphasizes the themes of gender roles and social restrictions in the play, so the way he did it is kind of amazing."

You may be wondering, why am I in a study room, way past school time, analyzing a play for an essay that isn't even mine, on a Friday evening. Well...

"Thanks, Leo. I can finish this later tonight. Sorry for the trouble."

Libra asked me for help with this essay earlier after school. I mean, it's Shakespeare, so it was alright. Though I'd much rather hang out with the dudes at this time.

"Hey, Leo. Is it true that Gemini dared you to 'befriend' Scorpio?" 

I was caught off-guard, it is as if my whole body flinched at the thought. Honestly, I still have no idea how am I going to pull it off, so I wasn't really thinking anything about it. But word sure spreads fast, huh?

"Who told you?"

"Sagi. It sure brings a shock. So it's true?"

I tilt my head uneasily before I can find the words to reply, "Well, it's crazy enough it could be a fun challenge." I manage to smirk, trying to play it off casual,

"A stupid one." She sits beside me. "I don't know how anyone could stand her. If you manage to pull it off, I'd be very impressed. And also, our friendship will be questionable." she snickers.

"What? Do I have to pick sides?" I chuckle,

"If you're smart, yes." she shoots back.

Girls. I stretch my arms and yawn from the built-up fatigue through the week, "I will not get myself involved in some girl drama."

Yet, somehow, that comment seems to fire up Libra. She shoots up from her seat as her clenched fists planted on her hips, "Drama? You will not believe what that no-good My Chemical Romance edgelord goth did in break time! She called Pisces a fish!"

"Wow, how horrible."

A pause.

"And that stupid smug look on her face-"

"And she punched me in the gut because of a coffee. Your point?"

She lets out a heavy sigh in defeat, "And that Aquarius, obviously he's into me, but gosh, all he does is stare at me and smile all weirdly. He's practically drooling."

"Isn't that a bit of a narcissistic statement?"

"You're the one to talk!" She shoots back,

"Hey, I'm irresistible, and I'm owning it." 

She giggles, "Someone needs to get that ego checked."

"Right back at you."

A burst of laughter fills the room. Bantering like this is normal to us. It may come out as odd, but I've known Libra since we're in grade school. Sure, we're not the closest of friends, but enough that we can bicker and tease each other with no concerns.

But, a long sigh interrupts the lingering chuckles, followed by the light bang. It was Libra. Her shoulders are completely rested on the desk as her face buries in the wooden plank. 

"What's the matter?" I ask. I've hardly have seen Libra like this before, but I chuckle in attempts to lighten the mood, "Did the 'fish' comment really bump you out that much?"

"It's the pursues."

Her reply takes me by surprise. I know she's popular, but it boggles me how that concerns her. I mean, to her credit, she seems to handle it quite well. I reply, "Look, keeping up with appearances is hard-"

"No!" she interrupts, "People look at you like some kind of exhibit, conversations are alienating, and you feel so trapped?" Libra stutters as she scrambles for the right words to say, "I'm not even looking for a boyfriend or whatever! Do you know what I'm talking about?"

I listened intently and think to myself for a few moments. "Why don't you just tell them you're uninterested? Consent is a thing." is the first thought I have,

"I did!" she defends, "but they just keep coming."

I let out a deep breath as my eyes scan around the room, looking for words to answer. Look, I wasn't expecting to have this sort of conversation at this time of the day, especially with 'boy matter.' I try to get through it. "Boys gotta be boys, I guess."

"Would guys still pursue a taken girl?"

That one sentence rings off a dozen alarms within me. Tension stiffens my face as I peer at Libra, who gazes at the ceiling, deep in thoughts. I am not looking forward to where this conversation is leading to.

"Are you saying you'd date a guy just so others would leave you alone?" I blurt out,

With her eyes still glued upwards, her head tilts, "Not exactly. That defeats the purpose. But if I could appear to be dating-"

I interrupt her, "Yeah, right. You think guys wouldn't be able to tell it's a bluff? Worst case, having an invisible boyfriend just makes them even more intrigued in you."

You have no idea how guys work.

But that doesn't seem to discourage her from feeding the idea. She crosses her arms and thinks intently until a thought springs up in her head, "Leo, can you pretend to be my boyfriend?"

Wait, how did she even come to that thought!?

"Libra, you can't be serious-"

"We don't have to actually date! All we have to do is hold hands and hang around each other more often." She pleads,

I try to object, but she continues, "Everything will go back to normal once school ends. Leo, you're an actor, it shouldn't be difficult!"

In a fit of frustration, I get up from the seat and explain to her, "Look, it sucks that people are looking at you in a weird way, but that doesn't mean I would get myself into a fake relationship for that! What do I have anything to do with it anyway?"

Libra pauses. Her eye twitches as she glances around the room. The air silenced.

"You'd have an excuse to talk to Scorpio." she breaks the silence, "I mean, I know we're not in good terms, but you'd get to see her more often, my luck works like that, and you can complete that stupid dare of yours."

I sneer. I cannot believe that's the excuse she came up with. "But if I am 'dating you,'" I finger quote, "wouldn't that lessen my chance to make her even like me?"

"I don't see where's the problem. What they're gonna do? It's a game, anyway." she shrugs.

It is obvious she is determined to execute this scheme. So obvious. And I mean, with all honesty, I want absolutely NOTHING to do with anything about Libra and her grudge against Scorpio. Like I would put myself down as her dummy boyfriend. But you know what, it's so dumb, it may actually become something interesting.

"I'm not saying I agree with this, but I'll do it on two conditions," I turn to her unmoving gaze, challenging her, "I will not be involved in any relationship problems of yours, romantic or platonic."

"Okay."

"And I can quit anytime I want, regardless of circumstance."

"Deal." her face brightens with a confident grin.

And that is how Libra and I somehow became... a couple.