five

On my way back home I bumped into my mum who was speed walking the other way towards the command centre.

"Hey honey! How did you find your work this morning?"

"Great actually! I think I did really well"

"And what about the Commander, he's nice isn't he?"

"Yeah he is!"

"I have to go, I've got so much I need to get done but we can catch up properly later sweetie"

"Ok sounds good!"

As my mum started to walk away she said: 

"Oh and I'll still be up there tonight so you're gonna have to eat at the cafeteria"

"What? Mom! You know I can't, I have to stay inside as much as possible.."

But she had already walked off.

Great.

Once I got home I had a quick shower and got changed into some comfy clothes. Yawning, I realised just how tired I was and had a quick nap.

---

Later on I headed off to the cafeteria with a sigh, going back through the familiar forest path, pulling my hoodie up in a hope I'll attract less attention.

Once I was inside I queued up and grabbed some food and blue milk. I found an empty table right at the back and sat down, pulling out a book to entertain me and make me feel a little less lonely.

However soon I was interrupted by the sounds of familiar footsteps and the beep of a droid.

"Oh so you do know where the cafeteria is" he said with a chuckle.

"Very funny, Flyboy" I replied with a small smirk as he invited himself to sit opposite me, BB-8 rolling next to my seat.

"Hey, Poe?" I asked nervously, my voice shaking slightly.

"Yeah?"

"Why are you sat with me and not your friends?" I looked up and made eye contact with him.

"You are my friend!"

"I am?"

"Of course you are, you're really cool, y/n"

"Thank you, I don't think I've actually had a friend in a long time" I say looking back down at my almost finished plate with a smile that almost instantly fades. "Wait, no that's lame. I have loads of friends" I said laughing.

Poe laughed as well, before making eye contact with me once again. We held it a little bit longer than we probably should have, before a beautiful girl walked up to our table.

She had black hair that went down to her shoulders and fair skin. Her eyes were the colour of the ocean on Scarif and she was wearing a flight suit identical to Poe's.

She cleared her throat causing me and Poe to jump slightly before he introduced me.

"y/n this is Ayla, Ayla this is y/n"

"Hey y/n, it's lovely to meet you!" Ayla said with a bright smile. "Wait, Poe, is this the girl you mentioned earlier, the one who you said was gorgeo-"

"Ok Ayla, you can shut up now!" Poe practically yelled, his face turning scarlet.

I giggled slightly before asking if Ayla would like to join us. I didn't know why, but being around Poe made me feel so much more confident.

"So, y/n, you can probably guess what I do" Ayla said, gesturing towards her uniform as she took a seat next to me, "But what about you?"

"A bit of everything really, I just help out wherever I can."

"And if I'm going off the skills you showed today, you're amazing at what you do" Poe chimed in, still looking slightly embarrassed.

"Thank you, that's very kind. I only try to do my best".

"Well it sounds like The Resistance is lucky to have you" Ayla told me with a grin. 

---

We finished off the rest of our food and said our goodbyes. I started to head back to the house my mum and I shared when I heard running behind me. I turned and saw Poe catching up to me, BB-8 rolling quickly behind.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked.

"I forgot to give you this earlier, it's my room number. Just in case you ever wanted to hang out" He said as he handed me a piece of paper.

"Oh, thanks" I said slightly awkwardly.

Did he expect me to give him mine back? I did't have one though, I was the only person on base to be live in a full on house, not just a room!

"Anyways, I'll see you around."

"Goodnight Poe"

"Night y/n" he said before turning on his heels and walking off with his droid.

Even though it was a cold, dark night I feel all warm and happy, because for the first time in years I had friends. And not just any friends, but ones who actually wanted to know me for who I was.

As I shut the door I leant against it and sighed, before heading upstairs to my bedroom.