nine

I ran out of the room and stormed towards the headquarters where my mom would be, ignoring Poe's desperate calls behind me.

My anger and confusion fuelled my harsh steps as I entered the busy workplace, completely ignoring the stares coming my way. I burst through my mothers office door, not even bothering to knock.

"Hey sweethear-"

"Am I force sensitive?" I interrupted.

"What?"

"You heard me. Am I force sensitive?"

"I don't-"

"It's a simple question mom!" I yelled.

She started at me blankly, anger and panic slowly pooling in her eyes.

"A-am I?" I stuttered much more softly.

"How did you find out?"

"That doesn't matter. What matters is why the hell you didn't tell me?" I said, my voice raised again.

"It's a long story" she sighed.

"Well then you'd better get started."

She got up and walked over towards me and tried reaching for my hand, but I flinched away, keeping eye contact with her, my harsh eyes meeting her sorrowful ones.

"Me and your Father realised you were force sensitive around the same time your brother... well, you know. I would be able to sense you in another room, one time when your brother threw a book at you, you managed to deflect it away, but I'm sure you don't remember."

My mind instantly went back to the thought I had had just a few days prior, when I had assumed Ben had missed me when throwing my book at me many years ago, but now it was all adding up to form a clear picture.

"Anyways, we weren't completely sure so we contacted your Uncle Luke, we described to him some of the things we had noticed about you, and he confirmed that it was very possible that you could be one with the force, seeing as it runs in the family."

"But that doesn't explain why you never told me."

"Ben thinks you're dead, y/n. If you trained and became powerful with the force he would very likely be able to sense and find you. And who knows what he'll do to you after he finds out you've been pretending to be dead for so long."

I stared at her in silence, not quite knowing what to say.

"I'm so sorry sweetheart, I only did what I did to protect you."

"I don't need protecting, I'm fine on my own." I snapped back. I was so mad and overwhelmed I didn't even care how rude I was being.

She tried to walk closer to me to comfort me but I jumped out of the way and towards the door.

"You know what? I can't do this, I-I've got to go."

And with that I stormed out and slammed the door, coming face to face with Poe, who must've followed me here.

"Hey, you ok? Why were you in the General's office? You in trouble or something?"

"I'm ok, it's nothing. I just wanna get out of here."

Just as I was at the exit an annoyingly familiar voice of a certain golden droid called out to me.

"Princess Solo, are you alright?"

And just like that I thought my world had ended. Nearly everyone's heads in the room turned towards me instantly. I could hear them whispering and pointing at me. And Poe, my best friend, was staring at me with a face I couldn't decipher. It looked like a mix of sympathy, anger and confusion.

"Seriously Threepio?! Did you short circuit or something?"

"Oh my, I wasn't thinking, I'm terribly sorry-"

"Can it, threepio!" I said with a shaky voice, before running out of the headquarters to nowhere in particular.

---

I ended up sat on the roof Poe and I spend so much time on, I wasn't ready to go back to my room where the evidence of my parents years of lying lay on the floor. I stared out towards the sunset, the orange glow lighting up my already red face.

I jumped when I heard footsteps behind me, and turned to watch Poe come and sit next to me.

"I thought I'd find you here." he said calmly, gently wiping away a tear I hadn't noticed escape my eyes.

"Hey" I sniffed, my voice slightly breaking.

"Are you ok?"

"Not really. Are you mad at me?"

"For what?"

"For not telling you who my family was."

"No, I'm not mad. Just confused. Why didn't you tell me?"

"I don't tell anybody. I'm just so scared that people will only pretend to be my friend so that they can meet my parents. That's also why I tried to hide away from everyone for so long, so that people wouldn't start to ask questions."

"You can trust me"

"I know, I'm so sorry Poe."

"I get it. But just a heads up, pretty much everyone knows you're the secret daughter now."

"Wow news really does travel fast. I'm gonna kill that droid." I said with a slight chuckle.

"y/n."

"Yeah?"

"It's gonna be ok, I promise."

"You better be right, Flyboy"

"I'm always right" he replied with a smirk and a wink.

"You're an idiot." I laughed.

"Wow, I try to be nice and this is what I get? I'm hurt." He replied over-dramatically, causing me to burst out laughing.

"Come here" he said softly, pulling me into a hug, my head leaning against his shoulder.

We sat like that, watching the sunset turn into the beautiful night sky, for a while before I turned to look up at him.

"Thank you, Poe. You're an amazing friend."

What I didn't see was the slight look of disappointment on his face concealed by the night, as he pulled me closer, playing with my hair and shielding me from the cool breeze.

"It's ok, Princess."

"Don't call me that." I say sternly, sitting up and turning to face him.

"What's wrong with Princess??"

"It just makes me sound so proper and fancy, when in reality I'm just a boring member of the Resistance.

"Nothing about you is boring, you're one of the most amazing people I know."

Not knowing how to reply, I just smiled at him, before laying back and gazing at the twinkling stars.

He joined me and we spent the next hour or so pointing out constellations and chatting and laughing. Hanging out with him felt like we were the only people in the world, and I almost forgot about all the chaos I was in, and that as soon as the sun rose the next morning my life would quite possibly be ruined.

---

A/N

Hi everyone!
This story is currently ranked #1 in poedameron that's literally so crazy, I can't even begin to explain how thankful I am! 💕🥺
I hope you all liked this chapter, love you lots!

M x