fourteen

I was off work that afternoon so I decided to explore the base a bit more seeing as I was getting more and more confident going around thanks to Poe.

Poe.

No matter what I was doing my mind always flicked back to him, wondering what he was doing and hoping to see him soon. Maybe I did like him, maybe I didn't. It had been so long since I'd had a crush I'd forgotten what it felt like. But anyways, it didn't matter because nothing would ever happen between us, especially if he and Ayla liked each other.

As I neared the edge of the forest I shuddered. I had forgotten for a moment about what had happened just the day before. Changing my mind about where I was going I turned around and saw Ayla walking towards me.

"Hey y/n! I was just looking for you!"

"You were?" I asked, both nervous and curious. 

"Yup, I have the afternoon off too and I didn't know if you wanted to hang out?"

"I'd love to." I replied with a sigh of relief, thinking that she was going to say that something was wrong or that I was needed to work after all, which I definitely did not want to do.

We made our way back to my room as it was the closest to where we were, chatting and laughing about our day so far.

Once we got to our destination we threw our bags on the floor and sat cross-legged facing each other on my small single bed.

"So, anyone you like right now?" she asked me curiously.

"Uh... no." I replied, a bit too quickly, desperate for the topic of conversation to change.

"Really? Ok.. if you say so." She said with a smile that almost suggested she knew something I perhaps didn't.

Quickly the conversation led to a different topic to my relief, and we spent the rest of the afternoon forgetting our worries.

That was until we heard an unexpected knock on my door.

"One sec." I told her as I got up to see who it was.

"Hey."

"Hi Poe, what's up?" I inquired I leant against the door.

"Can I borrow you?" He asked.

I looked back at Ayla, only to find her nodding and gesturing me to go.

"You sure that's ok?" I asked her.

"Of course, go! We can catch up some more later!" She quickly replied, gathering her stuff and slipping past me and out into the hallway, a huge grin of her face. She winked at Poe and then turned and left, leaving me completely confused.

"C'mon let's go." Poe energetically said as he grabbed my hand and pulled me out of my room, my door shutting behind me.

"Wait, Poe! Where are we going"

"You'll see!" He smiled with the excitement of a child on their birthday.

We ended up at the main hangar where the Black Squadron's ships are kept.

"Poe, what the hell are we doing here?"

"You really don't like surprises do you?" he laughed.

"I hate them."

"Well you're not gonna like this..."

Before I could even ask what he meant he covered my eyes with his hands and led me the last few steps and into the hangar.

"You ready?"

"I guess so? Poe, just tell me what's going on!"

"Ok, 3.. 2.."