seven

I hurridly opened the door to my house and slipped inside, hoping my mom wouldn't notice my absense and I could sneak upstairs. 

Apparently not. 

"Morning honey, how was your night?" 

"Uh... good thank you" I replied nervously, trying to cover up a yawn. 

"You look awful, did you get any sleep?" 

"Yeah of course I did"

"So it wasn't you that I saw walking back to the Commander's room early this morning...?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about" I said, surprisingly confident, as I walked over to the staircase.

"You're a terible liar, y/n" she laughed. 

I started to run up the stairs to try and hide the embarrassment appearing on my blushing cheeks. 

"I'm not mad, by the way. I think it's nice that you've met someone special.." I hear her say, and it shocks me enough to turn around and call back.

"We're just friends!! If you must know, we were up all night talking and barely got any sleep, that's it!" 

"That's ok, I'm just teasing you. Now , on a serious note, you're already late for your work today, so hurry up and get ready! I'll see you later" 

And with that she turned and left, closing the door behind her. 

I tumbled into my room and ran to my bathroom. I had and the quickest shower and then hurried about, throwing on the first clothes I could find: a pair of black jeans and a white shirt. I tied my still wet hair into a ponytail and left, putting my boots back on and jogging towards where I was working today. 

---

After my morning shift I was shattered and all I wanted was to get to bed and rest. I was about to go home and do just that until I heard the familiar voice of my mother behind me. 

"y/n!" 

I turned to face her and replied as another yawn tried to escape.

"Hey mom, what's up?" 

"Have you eaten anything yet today? Cause you didn't when I was home"

"No actually, I haven't. I guess I'm too tired to have even thought about that." 

As soon as those words left my mouth I could hear the rumble of my stomach, confirming the fact that I was starving. I checked the time on my watch.

12:45 pm

No wonder I was, it was past midday and I hadn't eaten in over twelve hours!

"Take care of yourself y/n. I have to go, but you had better be heading to the cafeteria to eat something!" 

"Yeah sure mom, bye." I replied reluctantly, before turning around and heading back the way I came to the cafeteria. 

On the way I wondered my mother was so busy all of a sudden. I get that she's the General and all, but she never used to be this busy. It's like we barely see each other any more. 

----

I arrived at the cafeteria and joined the end of the busy queue. Eventually I managed to get some food and headed over to my usual table at the back until I heard a familiar voice call my name. 

"Hey y/n, come sit with us!" 

I turned around and saw Ayla smiling at me. She was sat with a bunch of pilots and a very tired looking Poe. In fact, I was pretty sure he was asleep, with his head resting on his arms on the table. 

I sat down in the spare seat between Poe and Ayla and thanked her. 

"I saved it for you just in case you came for lunch" 

"That's so nice, thank you Ayla!" I replied, touched by her sweet gesture. 

After everyone on the table introduced themselves and I did the same I started to eat my sandwich, trying to wash down the dry taste with some blue milk. 

I propped my head up on one of my hands and shut my eyes, yawning again, drowning out the sound of my friends conversations. 

"Dameron, wake up!" 

My eyes snapped open, startled by the sudden shouting from a pilot opposite who I learned was called Hayden. 

I elbowed Poe lightly and he looked up and around the table, clearly embarrassed by the fact that he'd fallen asleep in front of his squadron. 

"mm? What?" he mumbled. 

"No offence but you look awful, what were you doing last night?" Hayden asks him. 

"Oh nothing, I just couldn't get to sleep." He replied.

I silently thanked him for not telling everyone about last night, they would've all thought I was even weirder than they already did, having a meltdown over a dream. 

"What about you, y/n? You don't look too great yourself" Ayla asks me in her soft spoken voice. 

"Uh yeah, same. I had a headache and only got about an hour of sleep." I lied.

Everyone on the table seemed satisfied with our answers and carried on with their previous conversations, a couple left to go back to work. 

Ayla looked at me and Poe suspiciously, but didn't say anything else on the subject. 

---

After a while everyone had gone apart from Ayla and I. We both got up and headed towards her room, we both had the afternoon off and decided to hang out. 

"Soo.. you and Poe, huh?" She asked, nudging me. 

"What?"

"Oh c'mon, I don't believe that story you told everyone else for a second." She said, laughing slightly 

"Ok fine" I say, laughing too. "We were together last night."

"Like, together together??" 

"Oh my god no, nothing like that!"

"Really..?"

"Yes! I woke up last night and couldn't get back to sleep. And Poe had given me his room number so I went over and we ended up talking pretty much all night, and then I fell asleep at his. I'm pretty sure he slept on the couch for like, an hour or so until we had to get up. That's all that happened, I swear!" 

"Ok, I believe you. Still, it sounds like you guys are pretty close?" 

"Oh, I don't know." I replied slightly sadly. "We only just met." 

"Well, for people who only just met, you seem to have spent a lot of time together. That's all I'm saying." 

"Ayla!" I shouted as she started to run off towards her room. 

We raced to where she stayed, both laughing like mad. I'm sure loads of people stared at us but we didn't care. Once we got to her room we both collapsed on the bed with laughter.