twenty-two

We travelled along in silence for a while. My mouth and throat were so dry that it hurt to swallow or even speak. From where Poe was squeezed next to me he gently nudged my arm. 

 "You ok?" He murmured into my ear as his breath tickled my neck. I replied with a nod and put on a smile for him. I could feel my body becoming more and more exhausted as we pushed on through the desert but I didn't want to worry him - we were almost at the nearest village and couldn't dare stop now. 

A sudden bang and my head spun around. 

"Punch it!" I yelled out to Naka. "We've gotta get out of here!" 

"What?"

"Scavengers, move it!" 

I watched Poe's eyes narrow before turning back to look at the speeders who were growing ever-closer. 

"We're not gonna out-run them." Poe thought allowed before we ducked as another shot came our way. "Let me take over." 

"No chance. I don't let anyone control my speeder but me." The Blarina explained smugly as if he didn't realise the imminent danger we were all in. 

"Just.. move over!" Poe barged in front of him and took over control and, while he was distracted, I reached over and grabbed a gun from the holster Naka was wearing.  

"Hey!" 

"Shut up, he knows what he's doing." I sighed. 

"You can't tell me what to do, just remember I'm doing you a favour." 

"Yeah? Well, we're doing you a favour by keeping you alive, get down so you don't get hit." I squinted my eyes in frustration as I began to shoot at the incoming speeders. Hitting one and stopping it in its tracks, I whooped with joy at being one step closer safety. 

We swerved and swooped, Poe dodging every shot as we gained more and more speed. We were leaving the remaining rogue scavengers behind in a dusty trail and travelling nearer to what was our only shot of an escape - the village nearby. 

Poe remained to be the one in control as I kept an eye out for any more signs of danger. Naka Lit had become entirely useless, crouched down and quaking in fear of the last of the shots. 

Soon we arrived, the silhouette of the settlement in the distance becoming closer and closer until we eventually came to a stop outside of what seemed to be a hut with every kind of spare part a ship could need. 

I took Poe's hand as he helped me down and we said our final goodbye's to Naka Lit. We were on our way. No credits, no food or water, and no idea how we were going to get out of the mess we were in. But still, we hurried off, looking around the many stalls - all the same shade of beige I'd come to hate after my time spent on the planet - and searched for someone who could help us. 

Seconds drained into minutes and into hours, and still no luck. The night was drawing closer and we were still stuck in the same place. I could tell Poe was getting agitated - his jaw was clenched and his sighs were getting louder the longer we were there. 

That was until we stumbled across a merchant making his way home. We introduced ourselves and he told us his name was Ohn Gos. He was another Blarina but, unlike Naka, was very keen to be able to help members of The Resistance and seemed sympathetic to our cause. 

With his help we were shown to a huge junkyard out the back of a hut we visited earlier and made our way over to a small starfighter, much like the one Poe and I flew to Jakku in, except that this one looked to be on its last leg. 

"It might need a little work done, but it's all yours." 

"Thank you so much, you have no idea how much this means to us!" I was so happy I completely forgot how sore and exhausted I was. 

"You're most welcome." He chuckled at my excitement. 

"How can we ever repay you?" 

"Defeat The Order." 

With those final words of encouragement, we eagerly got to work, making all the repairs necessary to have the fighter up and running and, by morning, it was ready. 

The sun was beating down as horrible as ever and cast a thick, arid feel over the place. But, nonetheless, Poe and I were grinning at each other and looking proudly at what we had accomplished. What once was a run-down, old ship was now not too shabby. We replaced a few parts here and there, however, what was most important was fixing the nav system which would let us locate The Resistance Base. 

We scrambled inside. There were no helmets to be found so we went on without them. The engine roared to life and I got a strange wave of déjà vu, remembering how Poe and I had left the base just days ago, and how everything had changed now. 

Soon we were off and out of the atmosphere. I had never been so happy to see the millions of gleaming stars dotted in the ink black atmosphere. But, knowing our luck, nothing could ever go right. 

A blaring sound came from the dashboard. 

"We're out of fuel, aren't we?" I sighed, knowing that distinct sound from my studying. 

"It sounds like it, but the warning light isn't on..." 

"And I checked the fuel gage before we left, everything seemed fine." 

But perhaps the worn out X-Wing wasn't as fixed as we thought. We began to descend towards a near emerald planet, completley out of the way of where we needed to be.  

___

A/N

I'VE MISSED WRITING SO MUCH, LET ME TELL YOU, I'VE BEEN WANTING TO WRITE THIS FOR SO LONG BUT MY SCHOOL WORK SAID "NO ❤" 

ANYWAYS, LOVE YA'LL 

M XX