22. The start of The Journey

Arlene:

I was lying in bed later that night thinking about how I had made such a fool of myself during Dante's visit. I had let the emotions get the better of me and he had probably concluded that he cannot trust a mage with such an expedition. However, I wanted to go. I was nothing without Alistair and I longed for his sweet words and warm embraces. I longed to be with him again.

Whether that meant that I was no longer a mage, I didn't care. I didn't care about that anymore. I didn't want my powers if there was a chance to rescue Alistair from the Shifting Vale. I wanted Alistair. He was all I wanted.

At this moment in time, Blue was curled up at the end of my bed, his chunk flattened underneath him as if he were lying in a puddle. I smiled and sat up from my position. I leant over to him and ruffled the fuzz on top of his head. Finishing off rubbing Blue's stomach, I tried to go back to sleep but I discovered that I was now restless.

I didn't know when the journey would start but I was excited. I'd never been on an 'adventure' before. In fact, I had never gone as far as the forest. When I was young, I was cooped up in the mage fortress all the time and I was never allowed to leave mother's sight. Oh, how I missed mother. Everyday my heart ached and ached. I wanted her back.

I thought that perhaps we may be able to save mother too. The Shifting Vale was for people who had 'unfinished business'. Mother wanted to see her daughter grow up, she wanted to see her get married and see her own grandchildren. I wondered, what would it have been like if mother and Ali had still been alive? Would I have told mother about him? Would I have revealed that I had fallen in love a Templar? I believe that mother would have accepted Alistair. She would trust him because she trusted me and that I had made the right choice. She would have been so excited to see our wedding.

Maybe asking for another person to rescue was more than we bargained for. It would be too selfish if I were to request another.

I arose from my bed and slipped my robe on over my night gown. I grabbed the lit candle that stood on my bed-side-table and tip-toed to the wardrobe.

"Hmmm, what do you bring with you when you're on a long and epic journey?" I whispered to myself, digging through the heaps of things that were strewn amongst the draws and shelves.

"Well, obviously you would need clothes. How much you bring depends on how long your journey is. But how long is the journey?" I thought for a second.

"Oh, well, I'll just bring them all," I said as I gathered a heap of shirts and trousers. I dumped them on the floor and dragged a large bag from under my bed. I stuffed them inside, fastened the bag and lay on the floor, breathing heavily after my small workout. I lay on the carpet, arms and legs spread out like a starfish.

If I was going through with this, I had to be brave. I had to be prepared for whatever was thrown at me during the voyage. I had to do whatever it takes to save him. To bring him back from The Shifting Vale.

Dante:

Dawn was upon us and I had gathered everything we could possibly need. Luckily I was able to bring my guitar, but I was a little annoyed that the easel had to stay. Oh well, I suppose I couldn't have all the luxuries in the world.

Two knocks on Arlene's door and it opened within three seconds.

"Oh, hello Dante," she greeted carrying a large bag and some miniature bags that strapped onto her shoulders.

"Goodness!" I cried, "It seems that you have packed plenty!" I chuckled, laughing more as she struggled to fit through the door.

"Don't laugh!" she ordered.

"I didn't know what to pack, so I packed, well, everything." I chuckled again.

"Why don't you be a gentleman and help me?" she prompted.

"Alright, alright. You will be relieved when you see your surprise waiting outside the inn."

"What surprise?"

"I suppose you'll have to come and see," I tormented.

As we struggled down each step of the stairs, our bags tumbled down along with us, until we left the inn's doorway and entered the outside. The smell of fresh air instantly overpowered our noses. Arlene pivoted her head around and successfully located her surprise standing by the fence. She squealed and leapt to stroke the mane of the magnificent Shire horse that stood proudly beside her.

Most of its coat was an inky black and was thick and coarse. This was accompanied by the feathered out white fur surrounding its ankles, spotted with specks of mud. There was a white strip on its fur, running along from the forehead to the muzzle. Its mane and tail, however, were black to match with the dominant colour of the coat. It was very muscular and tall, reaching to about sixty-five inches. I was glad that this horse was strong, this way all of our belongings could be carried safely in a cart attached to this magnificent beast.

The inhabitants of the congested village stopped to stare at Arlene, checking that she hadn't been murdered and moved along like nothing had happened. They carried on with their busy lives.

"Is this my surprise?" she questioned as she ran her knuckles along the horses nose.

"Meet Onyx, he's your new horse! I hope you can ride," I announced, satisfied by her reaction and the grin that stretched across her face.

"I LOVE HIM! Oh, and I can ride. I had riding lessons when I was younger," she said, slotting her foot into the left stirrup, hoisting herself onto his saddle and taking the reins.

"Hold your horses Arlene- literally. We have yet to collect mine from the stables."

"Good, because I thought for a second there we had to share," she then spoke in that doggy voice, "Because you're mine aren't you boy?" she said lifting the fringe from his eyes.

This was going to be a long journey.

"Speaking of boys, Blue!" she shouted, and a small but speedy little dog dashed over to her through the entrance of the inn.

"Wait a second, you can't bring the dog," I said pointing to the miniature Mastiff that was now hanging by its teeth from Onyx's stirrup, tail wagging along with is body that loosely wiggled in the air.

"What? Yes, I can. We can't just leave Blue here!"

"Well, think of it this way. If he came, where would we put him? It's not like he can ride on the back of the horse."

"No," she agreed, "but he can sit in the saddle bag!" she said getting off the horse, picking up Blue and setting him carefully inside the bag.

"Fine," I uttered, defeated.

"Let's go get your horse!" she commanded, hopping onto Onyx, and patting the saddle, signalling for me to mount the horse.

It was now, officially, the start of the journey!