Chapter Four

The next couple of months flew by and before Hades knew it, he and Persephone had fallen into a routine of parenthood. While things were still a little chilly between the adults in that Hades was sleeping in the guest room, Persephone had taken a shine to Mal.

It was rare that the Goddess of Vegetation was without Mal in her arms; the only time she forwent holding Mal was when Persephone would take a walk around the Isle. It wasn't because she wanted to leave the baby behind, but it was too big of a risk. Everyone knew she lived with Hades. By now, everyone on the Isle would have at least heard of Hades grabbing Maleficent's child.

While most of the citizens of the Isle were moronic, there were a select few who had more than two brain cells to rub together. There was nothing more dangerous than an aggravated Maleficent and if she saw Persephone walking around with Mal, it would not be a pleasant result.

That didn't mean anything inside Hades' lair. When they were inside, it was as if the Isle didn't exist.

"Hi Mali," Persephone cooed as she carried the young demi-Goddess around, the purple haired Fae squealing in delight. "Aww! You're so happy! Yes you are! Who's the prettiest girl in the Underworld?"

Hades walked up and couldn't help but smile at the sight. His wife had never looked better, with her long brown hair tied up in a messy bun, her body clad in a sweatshirt and sweatpants that Mal had spit up on about five times since Persephone got to the Isle, and just walking Mal around the den; his daughter's thick purple hair messy from sleep. Hades leaned against the doorframe and took in the sight.

"Enjoying the view?" Persephone asked as she caught sight of him and giving him a small smile.

"I was," Hades nodded, returning the smile. "What are you two ladies up to?"

"Mali's up from her nap and wanted to see the den," Persephone told him. "I was going to grab one of the toys I brought for her from Auradon but my hands were full with Mal."

"I'll get it," Hades told her, still leaning on the doorframe and making no indication that he was actually going to grab the toy. "Which one were you thinking of grabbing?"

Persephone gave him a small smile. Ever since she'd returned from Auradon, Hades had been at her beck and call when he wasn't working down in the Underworld; as if trying to prove to her that she was the only woman who had his heart. Even if Persephone knew that wasn't true.

Every father's heart one hundred percent belonged to one woman: their daughter—and Persephone was completely fine with that as Mal had stolen her heart as well.

"Steph?" Hades asked, his voice breaking into her thoughts. "Can't really get the toy if I don't know which one you're looking for."

"Oh sorry," Persephone said, shaking her head to clear it. "It's a small half dome type thing with items that dangle down so Mal can bat at them while lying on her back. I still need to set the thing up though."

Hades nodded and chuckled. "Look behind the sofa, dear."

Persephone frowned and took a peek only to find the item she'd described already put together.

"I found the box in the guest room the other day, half kicked under the bed. Thought it had fallen out of one of the bags you brought," Hades said when Persephone looked over at him in shock. "You'd fallen asleep so I thought it'd be a good idea to put it together. Just in case."

"That's so sweet," Persephone told him as Hades walked into the room. "Don't worry I won't tell anyone. I know you've got a reputation to protect."

Hades shook his head and chuckled. "No one would believe you if you said anything anyway. But thank you."

"Here you go Mali," Persephone cooed as she shifted Mal so that she was holding her with one arm and grabbed the toy from behind the sofa. "Hades, could you—"