Chapter Thirty Eight

It was hard to believe but Mal had actually forgotten about the love spell and about Ben until the next day. Of course, it helps ones memory when the walking reminder comes right up to them.

"Hey Mal," Ben said and Mal was at least happy to see he wasn't as peppy as he'd been the day prior. At the very least he didn't seem like he was about to burst into song. Maybe the spell had worn off and he hadn't realized he had been under it? Nah, that would be a really weak spell if that was the case-and Mal didn't see Maleficent having weak anythings in her spell book.

"Hey Ben," she nodded and gave him a small smile. "Good game yesterday. Bet you're happy that you won."

"Thanks and yeah, it's great to end the season on a high note," Ben nodded. "Listen, I wanted to ask you. I know I asked you to coronation and you said yes but...would you maybe be interested in going out with me later this afternoon?"

Mal stilled, she definitely hadn't expected that—which now that she thought about it, she definitely should have at the very least. The boy was under a love spell for her dad's sake!

I've never even been on a date before! There's no way Ben would actually enjoy himself...wait, why do I care? He's spelled. Wait, did he ever break up with Sleeping Brat? Mal thought, a bit of her irritation toward Chad coming out in her thoughts. Gods are all the guys in Auradon like this? Just jumping from girl to girl?

"Um Mal?" Ben said hesitantly.

"Oh!" Mal said, realizing she'd been just standing there and Ben had been expecting an answer. "Uh, sure Ben."

"Great! I'll pick you up later! It's a date!" Ben said before walking off. Mal stared after him in shock. What had she just done? She didn't know the first thing about getting ready for a date!

Mom! Help!

Mal shook her head, she could handle this without involving her mom after all. Wait a minute, Blueber—I mean Evie! They may have only just started their alliance but maybe this could help it grow?

Mal? What is it? Mali, what's wrong?

Mal jumped slightly upon hearing her mother's voice in her head as she tried to find Blueber—Evie. Yeah, definitely going to have to work on that.

Nothing, mom, never mind. I'm fine, just...can you be on standby? Please?

Oh no young lady! You don't just shout 'help' through your mind link and then tell me to go on standby!

Mom, really, it's nothing. I'll just go and see Blue—I mean Evie for this type of help. You're busy.

Mal, I'm never too busy for you...wait did you just say Evie? If I remember your rants on her, this help either involves make up or a boy. Does this have anything to do as to why Prince Ben was singing to you after the Tourney game yesterday?

Mal sighed but stopped as she saw Evie with Doug, sitting at a picnic table. Evie was smiling, showing Doug a small booklet. Mal didn't have the heart to disturb them. They may have been only allies but the blue haired girl was slowly growing on Mal—like a fungus.

Mom? Can...can you promise not to tell dad? At least not yet?

On one condition Mali—you're not in trouble or hurt are you?

No, no, nothing like that! It's...Prince Ben just asked me out. On a date! Mom, I don't know what I'm going to do! This is a prince—actually a crown prince we're talking about and I"m just a girl from the Isle! Not that I care but I don't even have anything to wear! I only own two dresses and neither one measures up to a date with the crown prince! He'll laugh his ass off—