Chapter Eighteen

The months continued to fly by and before Mal knew it, it was September. She couldn't believe how much things had changed throughout the year. She still stayed at Maleficent's once a week if only to keep up appearances. Considering it was the goblins who usually checked on her, though, a pillow stuffed under her threadbare blanket tended to fool them and she could sneak out without getting caught.

Staying at her dad's, though, was so much better. Pain and Panic didn't pinch and scratch her to wake her up in the morning but came with a respectful 'my lady' that never failed to elicit a growl from Mal. Though whether that was because Mal wasn't a morning person or because of the title, they would never know.

Today, though, was a different day. Today was her official first day of school—since she was six, she was old enough to go now. Mal wasn't exactly thrilled about it but her dad had promised a spray paint lesson after school so the day wasn't so bad.

"Morning Mali," Hades said with a small smile as Mal walked into the kitchen.

"Morning dad," Mal said, returning the smile. It may have been morning and it may have been her first day of school but her dad never failed to eliminate her bad mood.

"Grab some breakfast and then get going," Hades said before chuckling. "The last thing you'd want is to be on time for class on your first day."

Mal nodded and dug into the food that was before her. Granted it was just leftovers but her dad's leftovers were better than anything Boreadon had to offer. Scarfing it down, Mal hopped down and grabbed her hat and her bag.

"Now is today your 'appearance' day with the dragon?" Hades asked as he walked her to the door. He wasn't thrilled with the fact that Mal still stayed with Maleficent but one night was better than nothing. But if Maleficent hurt Mal in anyway...let's just say they would find out if fire could burn a dragon.

"Nope," Mal said. "The dragon had her night two nights ago. I don't even think she noticed I was there though. She seems fixated with busting from the Isle, trying to find a weak spot in the barrier."

Hades snorted. "I'd tell her good luck with that if I didn't find her frustration amusing. Zeus reinforced the barrier when it was created so the odds of there being a weak spot are extremely low."

Mal couldn't help the small giggle that came out at that. Maleficent's frustration was quite amusing especially when Mal was safe on the other side of the Isle.

"Go on," Hades said. "I'll see you after school."

Mal nodded and left the Underworld, stopping by the docks on her way to Dragon Hall. Uma and Harry weren't attending her school, having been enrolled in Serpent Academy. Mal wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea of her crew being split up but at least it was only a few hours a day. They could always meet up in the clubhouse afterwards.

"Hello co-cap'n!" Harry said with a grin as Mal walked into the chip shoppe. "Aren't you a bit lost? Dragon Hall is in town after all."

"I wasn't going to go without saying hi to you two," Mal said with a smirk. "Where's our captain?"

Harry tilted his head toward the back. "In the kitchen. Fair warning Mal, she's not in the best of moods. I'd keep it short before she wraps her tentacles around you."

Mal shook her head and walked into the kitchen. Just as Harry said, Uma was busy glowering at the dishes towering in the sink; clearly her cousin was not in the best of moods, as Harry had said.

"What did the dishes do to you?" Mal asked and Uma whirled around.

"What are you doing here?" Uma growled.