Chapter Forty Four

Mal sighed as she got dressed into her outfit for Family Day. She knew Ben was probably going to be wearing a suit and the last thing she'd want to do is embarrass him in front of his family.

She rubbed her shoulder, which still smarted after her confrontation with Freddy boy the day before. Mal knew it would probably be a while before it didn't smart anymore, she was incredibly lucky that it had been a shallow hit. The nurse was even amazed that Mal hadn't been more injured.

Personally, Mal was more amazed that the nurse didn't ask more questions, though with Ben standing by her side, that was probably the reason why Mal didn't get the third degree.

She had to thank her father's God side for the minimal injuries—but even though Persephone had adopted her, Mal was still biologically Maleficent's. Meaning she still had the weaknesses of the Fae.

Mal hadn't noticed the bit of iron on the blade, and while she was lucky the iron had never entered her bloodstream, the iron part had still touched her shoulder. The burn hurt more than the stabbing if she was being honest.

Honestly, the hole it left in my jacket was worse than anything. The wound will heal but I'm horrid at sewing, Mal thought bitterly. She had had that jacket since she was eight and this was the first rip/tear/spill that had graced it.

"Mal?" Evie said softly, walking up to the purple haired Godling. Evie was dressed in her Family Day outfit already, a blue and green dress that even Mal had to admit looked good on her.

"Yeah Evie?"

Evie gave her a small smile. "I know you spent last night in Jay's room but you'd dropped your jacket off...I hope you don't mind but I noticed you had gotten a hole in the shoulder doing whatever you were doing with Ben. Everyone on the Isle know how much you love this jacket considering that time you almost killed one of the Angels for almost getting paint on it when we all were eleven according to the Isle gossip grapevine...here."

The blue haired girl handed Mal her jacket and Mal was amazed to see that the hole had been sewn up. The thread was so fine that it was practically invisible at first glance; Mal had to run her hand over it to even know there had been a hole there.

"Evie..."

"I know we'll never be the closest," Evie said. "But we don't have a lot of possessions that are in as good of shape as your jacket is. Considering what you said when we first arrived, is...is it safe to assume Lady Persephone gave you that?"

Mal nodded slightly, still amazed at the skill Evie had taken to make sure the jacket looked brand new. "Mom made me this jacket...she had made it a bit big so I'd grow into it and I'd be able to have it for years after she gave it to me."

"Well she did a good job," Evie said. "That's some nice quality leather...at least judging by the feel. Oh! Your coronation dress is done too. After Family Day, we can pull up and I can do a final fitting."

"Evie, did you sleep at all last night?" Mal asked, surprising herself with the fact that she genuinely cared. But Evie had repaired her jacket and hadn't informed Fairy Godmother about her spending the night in Jay's room again. The least Mal could do is give a damn about Evie's health.

Actually, if Mal was honest, Evie had seemed a bit off ever since Fairy Godmother surprised them in their last Remedial Goodness class with a video conference with their parents. Or, Mal should say, surprised the other three. Mal had ducked out, claiming a woman's time of the month. She didn't trust Fairy Godmother not to make the same mistake as whoever addressed their invites off the Isle.

Apparently, she made the right choice as, according to Jay, Maleficent had been there but had left upon seeing there was no Mal. However, Jay had mentioned that Maleficent had looked extra long at Evie before leaving.