Chapter Fourteen

Mal made her way through the streets of the Isle, happy as can be though she was careful not to let it show on her face. She may have only been five but she knew Maleficent had spies everywhere. If one of them reported that she was grinning like an Auradon Princess, it would only mean bad things for Mal.

Still, just because she couldn't show it didn't mean she didn't feel it. She knew who her father was! That was something only a handful of children on the Isle could say—that they knew who both their parents were.

And most of the ones that do know don't get to keep them, Mal thought as she jumped through a mud puddle, relishing the feeling of the water soaking through her socks. The only other person who liked the feeling was Uma; even Harry thought they were a little weird for it. It's bad enough Boreadon hates us enough not to send decent food half the time but you'd think all the Prissy Princesses would care about people dying in the streets or at the very least care about kids dying if not the adults.

Then again, these were the children of villains after all. Auradon probably just assumed they deserved it.

Mal scowled, though, as she caught sight of the only prissy princess on the Isle. Evelyn, or Evie as she insisted to be called, was Evil Queen's daughter and the complete opposite of Mal in every way; tall and lean, with long luscious tendrils of blue hair growing out of her head and a crown that always sat perfectly perched centered in her widow's peak. She always seemed to be wearing a dress, even if it was in the same type of material as the other Isle clothes.

Meanwhile Mal was short with dark purple hair self cut into a messy bob. Long hair was a danger on the Isle; someone could easily grab it if you tried to run away or it could get stuck on something. Uma was one of the few girls on the Isle to have long hair and it not look prissy; with her teal blue hair in tight braids.

Then again, Uma was skilled with a sword or at least as skilled as a five year old could be. If someone tried to grab her, it'd be their funeral. Especially if they tried to do it around Mal or Harry.

Mal's clothes were leather, just like Evie's, but instead of a dress Mal opted for pants and a short sleeved shirt. Sure she got cold easier but short sleeves meant less material was wasted on the clothes. It also made it so again she could get away easier.

I don't know how she can call herself an Isle kid and survive, Mal thought with an eye roll. The 'princess' was about three months older than Mal but it was the only achievement the little brat had over her. At least the only one that counted—if Mal had to hear about how good the little 'evilette-in-training' was at sewing and cooking the next time Evil Queen and Maleficent had their little get togethers—get togethers that only served to raise Maleficent's ire and nothing more—Mal was probably going to scream.

Mal stopped for a second as a thought came to her, as thoughts often do. I outrank the princess now, she thought with a smirk. Well technically, Mal already outranked Evie in terms of the Isle's hierarchy. One of the few good things about being seen as Maleficent's daughter, you found yourself elevated to the top of the food chain without needing to do anything.

But God outranked fairy in terms of life's hierarchy...and it definitely outranked mortal.

Father wouldn't be happy if I just started bragging about being his daughter though. Especially since he said that doing that might put a target on my back, Mal thought with a small frown. Besides, why should Blueberry know before Uma? I actually like Uma for one and for another thing we're cousins! Just ignore the 'princess' and head over to the clubhouse. Harry and Uma should be there by now.

Fate, however, would not allow her to ignore the Bluette as Evie saw and gave a small wave in Mal's direction.

Ugh, fine. Now I have to talk to her since we're on the same side of the road. I can't just turn and cross—well I mean I can but is it worth it? If Maleficent found out I was rude to Princess Blueberry...honestly I don't think she'd care but it's not worth the risk.