Chapter Thirty Six

Ben made his way down to the locker room with a small spring in his step. Even if there was the hurdle of Audrey not grasping the fact that they were no longer together, Ben couldn't find it in him to care at that point.

Mal was interested in him. Interested enough to try to spell him.

Honestly the novelty of the whole thing was enough to make Ben grin. He couldn't believe he'd been stupid enough to think Mal and Jay were dating.

"Well, well, well, what's this on our captain's face?" Akiho teased as Ben walked into the locker room.

"A smile. You've seen it before Akiho," Ben shook his head.

"No, that smile only shows up when you've been around Mal," Emir said, backing up his best friend. "And considering we heard Audrey shrieking up a storm as we made our way to the locker room..."

Ben shrugged as he started to take off his shirt to put on the undershirt that would go under his pads. "She didn't like the fact that I revoked my consent for the Betrothal contract."

He paused as he got changed, looking at his two best friends who seemed frozen in surprise. "Guys? Hello? The game?"

"You're free?"

"If you've got to be dramatic about it, then yes I'm free," Ben told them, rolling his eyes.

"Oh thank the Gods!" Emir exclaimed as Akiho looked skyward as if truly thanking the Gods. Ben couldn't help but shake his head at his friends' antics.

"Guys, come on—"

"We're finally rid of the Banshee!" Akiho sighed in relief. "Thank you Zeus, thank you Hera, thank you whoever else we need to thank!"

"Thank you Persephone!" Emir stated. "After all, she's Mal's mom and something tells me it was Mal who talked Ben into finally seeing the light."

Ben sighed and chuckled. "Yeah well Audrey's under the impression that I just broke up with her to concentrate on the Tourney game. Apparently it's what the pros do or something. I'm hoping she'll get the hint after the game...I'm going to see if I can talk to Mal in private," he told them, a small smile gracing his lips.

Akiho and Emir looked at each other and grinned.

"Ben, just consider the dramatic option when you talk to Mal. Maybe talk to Mal in public instead of in private," Emir told Ben as he and Akiho started changing as well. "It might be the only way to get through to Audrey."

Ben sighed as he tightened his pads. "Guys...I'm not a dramatic person and really, have you thought about how that might affect Mal? She doesn't seem like she'd be into the dramatics either."

"Wait a minute," Akiho said as he pulled his pads on. "Dude, are you going to ask Mal out?"

"What else would a private talk mean?" Ben asked with a shrug.

"Finally!" Emir exclaimed. "Ben, you have no idea how hard it's been not to lock you two up in the art classroom just so you'd ask her out! You two have this weird 'will they/won't they' tension and it's so frustrating!"

"Shh! Do you want Audrey thinking Mal and I have been sneaking around behind her back or something?" Ben asked, hoping he wasn't blushing.

"Dude, anyone with eyes can tell you have feelings for Mal," Akiho said as he pulled his jersey up over his pads. "You kinda do this thing where the two of you get lost in your own little world when you get into a conversation and then you stare into her eyes like a lost puppy."

Ben shrugged. "They're nice eyes. Anyway I shouldn't be surprised you two noticed that, if that is what happens. The team nicknamed you two my shadows after all."