Part 36

As Tom and Julia continued to sit on the floor, his arms wrapped around her and her crying into his shoulder, Tom felt his phone vibrate multiple times. He knew there was no way to check without disturbing Julia. After a few attempts, he managed to get his phone out. He had three texts and two missed calls. They were all from Finn.

Finn
Hey, did you find Julia?
Finn
If you see her, can you please tell her she needs to go?
Finn
The cars are waiting to head to the cemetery, but they can't leave without her

"Shit" Tom whispered. Julia picked her head up.
"What's wrong?" She said, wiping the tears away.
"It's Finn. He said everyone is waiting for you to go to the cemetery." Tom said.
"No, I can't go. They can go without me"
"You have to go. Your family is waiting for you"
"I physically can't. It's too hard"
Tom thought for a second. "Do you remember when we were flying to London for the film? And you were all nervous about the plane ride. Do you remember what I told you?"
Julia smiled at the memory. "you said 'we're in this together'"
"We are in this together. I'll be with you the whole time" Tom stood up and reached out his hand towards Julia. "shall we go?"
Julia grabbed his hand, and Tom pulled her up from the floor. They walked out of the bathroom, and out of the private room, never letting their hands go.

"There you are! We've been looking all over for you." Julia's mom said.
Maggie turned to Tom.
"Tom! I didn't know you flew in." Maggie walked up to Tom, and gave him a hug.
"Of course, I'm so sorry for your loss, your mum was a wonderful woman"
"Thank you Tom, it means a lot that you came in."
  "Okay we have to go, the cars are waiting for us." Julia's dad said. "Tom if you're coming to the cemetery, we have an extra seat in our car."
"Oh, I don't-"Tom looked at Julia. She didn't say a word, but he could tell that she needed him to be there.  "Are you sure it's not an intrusion?" Tom said.
"Of course not, you've spent thanksgiving with us, you're practically family" Andrew said. "But we got to move quickly, we're the first car in line." The rest of the family left for the car, but Tom and Julia lingered in the hall.
"Just breathe and take it one step at a time" Tom said.
Julia let out a deep breath. Tom walked a few steps ahead and opened the door of the funeral home for Julia.
"One step at a time" Julia repeated. She walked towards the door. She stopped when she got to Tom, she let out another deep breath, and they walked to the car.

The car ride was quiet. Tom sat with Julia in the back. Julia kept her head towards the window the whole ride, not saying a word. They arrived at the cemetery about half an hour later. Julia started walking towards where the rest of her extended family was, but Tom stopped.
"Why'd you stop?" Julia asked.
"I can't go with you. Go, be with your family. If you need me you, I'll be over here with Finn."
Julia let out a deep breath  and walked to where her brother and sister were standing. Tom joined Finn in the back.
"I can't believe you flew in." Finn said.
"What? Oh, what else would friends do? Speaking of, is Jamie here?"
"Jamie Samuels? I don't think he could get in on time."
"Ha. Some boyfriend." Tom whispered.
"Boyfriend? No, he and Julia aren't dating." Finn said
"What?" Tom was confused. "It's all over the press how they'd been friends for years, and their TV show rekindled the relationship" Tom said, mocking the article.
"Yeah it's just a lie made up by the media to sell stories."
"So they're not together?"
"Nope" Finn said.
Tom was processing everything Finn said. So if they were never dating, maybe it wasn't all in my head? Maybe she feels it too? If I hadn't been so stupid and believed a rumor from the press, would things be different?
...

The burial service was over, and everyone was going to head back to Julia's grandmother's house to pay their respects to the family. Tom drove to the house with Finn, while Julia went along with her family. He had been at the house for a few hours, but never got a chance alone with Julia. It was getting late, and he thought it would be best if he let her be with family. Tom was about to leave the house, but a voice stopped him.
"You're not leaving without saying goodbye are you?"
Tom turned around to see Julia leaning against the wall.
"Not anymore." Tom said laughing.
"I can't believe you're here."
"Where else would I be?"
"I don't know, but I'm happy you're here and not there. Thank you again for earlier." Julia said.
"Of course" Tom hesitated. "I'm sorry, Julia. She really was an amazing person."
"I know. Thank you, Tom. It really means a lot."
Tom left the house. He walked down the path and walked towards the street.
  "Wait!" Julia screamed from the front door. "How long are you in town for?" She asked.
"I don't know, I only bought a one-way ticket." Tom screamed back.
"So then... see you tomorrow?"
"See you tomorrow" Tom waited at the end of the path until Julia walked back into the house. He walked down to the corner, and got into a cab waiting to take him back to the hotel. He got into the car, told the driver the address, and the car drove off.
"See you tomorrow" He repeated the words to himself over and over. He couldn't help but smile.

A/N:
Hey everyone!!! Just wanted to say a quick thank you for 3000 reads!!! You guys are amazing for sticking with the story! Hope you're all enjoying it!!! New chapter will be up ASAP!! What are you guys doing to pass the time in quarantine?! Hope you're all staying safe and healthy!!
~Jules♥️